PDA

View Full Version : Too aggressive and got lucky?

Corkscrew
12-06-2004, 01:47 AM
All 3 players were VP$IP > 50%. SB was fairly fishy, so his aggression here was a bit of a surprise. BB was pretty LAGgy. No strong read on MP3, since he hadn't been at the table long, but he'd played 6/10 hands up to this point, and had been aggressive postflop with both an overpair and a strong draw in seperate hands.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, SB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (12 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (20 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 28 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 28 BB, between MP3, SB, BB and Hero.</font>

The flop presented a real problem. Against such loose players, I couldn't see just cold-calling here, but raising and folding were tough decisions as well. Ultimately, I fell back on the oft-seen mantra that I'm starting to take to heart... "When in doubt, raise."

Comments?

sthief09
12-06-2004, 01:56 AM
I think you played it well since the BB was a LAG. if BB was typical, I think you could lay it down. the board is draw heavy

Cerril
12-06-2004, 01:59 AM
Against typically bad opponents I think you're good here. I'd tend to do exactly what you did and if it gets capped, then I can lay down the turn. Against a tight player I'll probably drop my hand but not every time unless the read is simple.

Grease
12-06-2004, 02:02 AM
Well, "fishy" isn't a read, but I'll assume you mean he's loose-passive. If he's not a total moron, he can definitely beat TPTK on the flop, as he lead out into a pre-flop 3-better. I think he also can beat an ace, because he lead out again when it fell. Although, there are a multitude of hands he can have my guess is he flopped a set, and you hit runner runner. However, I'd be tempted to play the flop like you did, because you could possibly lever out the SB, and the BB probably is auto-raising here (LAG). With the turn card bringing a 3 flush, and continued agg. from the SB with MP3 calling 3 cold, I'd just call here. The river plays itself.

sthief09
12-06-2004, 03:07 AM
the SB would bet the flop with top pair, a draw, middle pair, nothing, etc. he probably is a moron.

J.R.
12-06-2004, 03:48 AM
what about the turn after MP3 calls 3 on the flop on what you described as a draw heavy board?

Tosh
12-06-2004, 08:29 AM
I think against LAGs you're good but I'd fold the flop against tighter players.

StellarWind
12-06-2004, 10:25 AM
I don't think I could fold the flop, but it might be the best play. You will often be investing many chips with no appreciable chance to win.

Raising the turn looks bad. You definitely caught the wrong ace. Assuming that "fairly fishy, so his aggression here was a bit of a surprise" means SB is passive, his second bet is very worrisome. I also wonder what MP3 has. Even when you are ahead they have many outs that reduce your pot equity.

Octopus
12-06-2004, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If he's not a total moron, he can definitely beat TPTK on the flop, as he lead out into a pre-flop 3-better.

[/ QUOTE ]

People bet into me as PFR with bottom pair all the time when there is only one high card on the flop. (Even more so at 3/6 than they did at 2/4.) I admit that doing so to a pre-flop 3-bettor is less common, but then people often try to check-raise a pre-flop 3-bettor. He could be trying to protect a set (or 2 pair), hoping BB will raise. He could be trying to build a pot with a monster draw (though check-raising would seem the better course for that). Or, yes, he could be a total moron.

As for the play, I think I just cold call the flop. If you are ahead, there are at least 21 cards which hurt you (any diamond, 8, T, Q, or K), and maybe more. If you are behind you are drawing to few outs (or runner-runner) with plenty of redraws possible. The pot is big enough to take a look at the turn and reassess, but I don't think raising here helps. Everyone at the table has at least an overcard with a gutshot, a pair, a flush draw, or two overcards (or some combination). Most of these will see the turn no matter what at this point. (Could K6 have made it through that pre-flop? Maybe.) Further, even if you get out some weak draws, the cards which complete them are so scary to you that you might not be able to go on anyway.

Folding is not out of the question; I think calling is better than raising here.

toby
12-06-2004, 11:58 AM
If its capped on the flop and he has 2-pair on the turn, the pot is 14BB, and its 10.5 to 1 to fill up by the river. No sense in laying down the turn unless it's 2 bets to you, giving 17 to 2.

Sarge85
12-06-2004, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what about the turn after MP3 calls 3 on the flop on what you described as a draw heavy board?

[/ QUOTE ]\

ding ding ding

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

7n7
12-06-2004, 03:28 PM
I'm assuming you won this pot as you say that you ask if you got lucky?

I couldn't help but think the SB was either betting the flopped straight or a set and then hit a full house b/c he never slowed down even after he was raised every time he led.

What did he have, btw?