PDA

View Full Version : Watched my first NFL with Tivo today..

fatmongo
12-06-2004, 01:16 AM
...and though I liked skipping through the commercials, two things still bothered me. The first was that I knew that I wasn't watching it live, and it really bothered me somehow. And second, people were IMing me 'did you see that!?', 'already up 7'... which pretty much made me feel like I was playing catch-up the entire game, but I guess I was.
Then again it was good to sleep in an extra hour. But it sucked not watching it in HD after being spoiled with HD for 2 seasons now.
Other than recording shows that are on when you're not home or when you're busy, which is where Tivo is a necessity, how do you guys feel about watching 'live' TV on an hour or so delay?

Number4
12-06-2004, 01:30 AM
I moved in with some roommates this year, and one of them has Tivo. Usually, we watch the games live, with frequent rewinds for big hits, nice catches, etc. I don't think I would really want to watch it unless I shut myself off from people who were watching; if I knew what was going on, I probably not watch the game.

fatmongo
12-06-2004, 01:41 AM
I dig your Tivo style. We did that for the 4:30 game. Used the 15sec rewind button for our own replays and stuff, then caught back up to live during the commercials. My friend was pissed though that he had a Tivo and we were still watching commercials. But I am a fan of short commercial breaks for food and bathroom trips.

AncientPC
12-06-2004, 03:19 PM
I don't have a Tivo per say, but does a computer PVR count?

Well I record a crapload of shows to watch when I want to (+ commercial skipping), but I watch all sports live or near live. By near live meaning I will usually pause during the commercial breaks, go to the bathroom, get something to eat, etc and then come back. If I'm a few minutes behind the game's real time it doesn't bother me, but then again I don't IM people while watching.

I do that review stuff a lot too with good plays. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

JPinAZ
12-06-2004, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But it sucked not watching it in HD after being spoiled with HD for 2 seasons now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you need this (http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/HDDVR.dsp).

[ QUOTE ]
Other than recording shows that are on when you're not home or when you're busy, which is where Tivo is a necessity, how do you guys feel about watching 'live' TV on an hour or so delay?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what we frequently do. We'll wait until a show is about 15 or 20 minutes in beofre we start watching. By the time the show is over we've caught up to real time.