PDA

View Full Version : My mistake in the Pokerstars WSOP satellite

04-21-2002, 10:47 PM
Let's talk about the mistake that probably cost me any shot at the WSOP satellite on Pokerstars on Sat. Bad play on my opponents part, but more so on my part.

I'll put in a couple comments in here to suggest what it is I think is up...train of thought so to speak

This is a 10 handed table...one goes all in, one calls, and everyone else but me folds and I'm the SB...

PokerStars Game #9104045: Tournament #1621, Hold'em No Limit - Level III (25/50)

Table '1621 17' Seat #2 is the button

Seat 1: lennart (3690 in chips)

Seat 2: Razzoo (1600 in chips)

Seat 3: whiskeytown (1530 in chips)

Seat 4: maiden (1275 in chips) is sitting out

Seat 5: sageyboy (85 in chips)

Seat 6: flopnuts (725 in chips)

Seat 7: jwhardin (780 in chips)

Seat 8: manse (2135 in chips)

Seat 9: wild card (3030 in chips)

whiskeytown: posts small blind 25

maiden: posts big blind 50

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to whiskeytown [Kd Kh]

sageyboy: raises 35 to 85 and is all-in

flopnuts: folds

jwhardin: folds

manse: folds

wild card: calls 85

lennart: folds

Razzoo: folds

whiskeytown: raises 215 to 300

maiden: folds

wild card: calls 215

I've got KK - I tried a raise to 6 times the big blind...I don't want to get crippled by an A on the flop...so I'm trying to play it cool since there's an all in. I'm hoping my raise drives out WC, which it didn't.

*** FLOP *** [2d 7h Tc]

whiskeytown: bets 250

wild card: calls 250

Trying to show strength...not happy about the call though on my opponents part

*** TURN *** [2d 7h Tc] [9c]

whiskeytown: bets 250

wild card: calls 250

What the hell is this? - I'm thinking J10 or A10 and I've got him. Don't see a possible draw that someone would really want to play.

*** RIVER *** [2d 7h Tc 9c] [9d]

whiskeytown: checks

wild card: bets 400

whiskeytown: calls 400

I've got to check call this. - I can't put him on a hand and I don't know what he's got. He only bets 400, which makes me think he's got 10's and 9's with a big kicker, so I may have him. I call

*** SHOW DOWN ***

wild card: shows [8s 9s] (three of a kind, Nines)

whiskeytown: shows [Kd Kh] (two pair, Kings and Nines)

whiskeytown said, "Jesus"

wild card collected 2230 from side pot

sageyboy: mucks hand

flopnuts said, "ouch"

wild card collected 305 from main pot

whiskeytown said, "pain in the ****ing *** river card again"

LOL - end of story..I've got $300 and have to make a move vs. the same player 3 hands later...AQ vs my 33, but he caught a Q and I'm a goner.

HIS MISTAKE - calling preflop raises and st8 draws with two cards he probably should have mucked in the face of my raise.

MY MISTAKE - I should have raised BIG time...like my whole stack preflop. Or at least get in the $1000 so he thinks about mucking...but then, he did have $3000.

Questions/comments?

RB

04-22-2002, 12:04 AM
I feel your bets are to small compared to the pot.

Both the 250 bet (pot 685) and your 250 bet (pot 1185) with that small bet on the turn i would think that he got the correct odds to draw out on you. he got totally 13 outs on the turn. Make him pay for sucking out on you.

I think you should have made a larger bet on the flop, about the size of the pot

and then went all in on the turn.

but then what do I know, I suck at no limit

regards

Shinomori

ashinomori@hotmail.com

04-22-2002, 12:24 AM
> MY MISTAKE - I should have raised BIG time...like my whole stack preflop.

A pot sized bet would have been to $610, so going-in would not have been out of line, esp. from the SB. Your underbet was also a mistake, b/c a re-raise from the blinds tags you with big-pair, which gives you negative implied odds and invites people to chase and, given your stack position, a pot sized bet on the flop would make you pot-stuck, anyway.

> HIS MISTAKE - calling preflop raises

Since he was getting 5:2 immediated pot odds and good implied odds and had position on you, I don't think calling with 98s is a mistake, esp. not when he is one of the chip leaders and has you covered.

> and st8 draws with two cards he probably should have mucked

On the flop, there were T735 in the pot and your mini-bet of T250 gave him almost correct pot odds (not to speak of implied odds) to make his hand on the next card. His call on turn with a 13-outer was pretty much automatic.

cu

Ignatius