PDA

View Full Version : Fold, Call-Down, or What? JJ vs. AA?

srt19170
12-05-2004, 09:33 PM
I post in the CO with JJ and a PF raise in front of me; the flop brings both an A and a J. I raise and the PF raiser re-raises me. Do I fold at this point? I'm only behind AA, but the reraise certainly signals that.

Suggestions?

-- Scott

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Hero posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Hack
12-05-2004, 09:36 PM
He could very well have AK.

If I am in this situation, and he leads the turn, then I raise again. If he 3bets then I call and call his river bet.

Set over set is so uncommon that you have to think you're ahead here the vast majority of the time.

Shillx
12-05-2004, 09:38 PM
Raise a non-/images/graemlins/club.gif turn. He could easily have A/K/images/graemlins/club.gif or A/Q/images/graemlins/club.gif here.

Shill

prayformojo
12-05-2004, 09:40 PM
3bet pre-flop.

srt19170
12-05-2004, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3bet pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can never quite make myself do that with JJ/TT. I'm even leery with QQ.

In my (admittedly limited) experience at .5/1, very few players will re-raise PF with anything other than AA or KK. I've certainly been at table where people will cap with nothing, or limp-reraise with J9o, to be sure, but in general my experience has gone the other way.

But I know it's probably a leak in my game.

-- Scott

prayformojo
12-05-2004, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In my (admittedly limited) experience at .5/1, very few players will re-raise PF with anything other than AA or KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

So why do you want to be like the other players? In this hand, you're not facing a re-raise, just a raise. Not 3-betting Jacks at this level, especially with position on the first raiser, is simply too weak. Jacks will be the best hand more than often enough to justify the re-raise.

Oh, and not re-raising Queens would be criminal. 3-bet or cap pre-flop with Queens.

Entity
12-05-2004, 10:06 PM
srt,

I'd 3-bet preflop. So should everybody else at this level.

On the flop, now that it's head's up, I think I like your call, only if you are planning on raising any non-club turn.

Rob

srt19170
12-06-2004, 03:11 PM
Okay, guys, I'm 3-betting this PF from now on. I'm writing down your names in case it doesn't go well :-)

-- Scott

LeftBack
12-06-2004, 03:32 PM
Look at your win percentage with JJ. You should be making money with two callers pre-flop. Besides, JJ could use the help if you narrow the field. It's a good investment of one small bet. If you get capped, your information is a LOT better (AA, AK, KK, probably) than if you just get called.

droolie
12-06-2004, 03:46 PM
With this many callers it's a reraise for value. It doesn't matter there's a good chance there's a higher pocket pair out, you have three other callers who are padding the pot with dead money. Your raise might be helping somone who has more equity but you surely have quite a bit more than your fair share here.

Reraising is also slightly deceptive. I love reraising and capping preflop with QQ, JJ, AQs and sometimes 10,10. Just calling the raise when you don't have AA, KK tells the rest of the table you don't have AA or KK. Why do that?

srt19170
12-06-2004, 03:53 PM
Okay, okay, already! Mea culpa! I admit the ignorance of my ways. Any further discussion of this is merely torturing me for pleasure!

Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you.

-- Scott

HajiShirazu
12-06-2004, 03:58 PM
To go along with what others have said-3bet preflop every time. HU, calling is fine if you plan on raising a non club turn-I would cap the turn if 3-bet and it was non club-AxKc/AxQc or just plain old AK are very common here. You are ahead like 90% of the time given the action so far.

flair1239
12-06-2004, 04:27 PM
I would 3-bet pre flop. I think this is important for JJ, because, even if you just fold the blinds it is worth it if you are eliminating an overcard. Also you probably do have the best hand right now. Also you might fold a limper. Plus just plain for value.

I would cap the flop. There are way to many hands that you have beat. The three flush on the board is irritating, but not devastating to your hand.

I am capping. Then either calling down/checking through if a club falls. Any non-club or full house card I am betting/raising, with the intention of merely calling down if I am three bet.

srt19170
12-06-2004, 04:34 PM
Okay, for the last time, shut up about 3 betting the flop. I get it already.

:-)

-- Scott

Redd
12-06-2004, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would cap the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my first instinct, and I was just about to ask why no one had suggested it. Isn't capping the flop the cheapest way to see how much villain likes his hand?