PDA

View Full Version : Weak top pair BB

JustOnce
12-05-2004, 08:51 PM
Instead of just playing all the time I'm trying to make a concerted effort to apply theories to my game such as the free card, protecting my outs, etc. But when a hand like this comes along, I'm not sure what the right line is. After the hand villian accused me of being a calling station, and in this case she was right. Help on all streets appreciated.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks.

I thought checking was right, since I'd have a better idea of where I stood if everyone else checked. In a later position I would have bet if checked to.

Turn: (2 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds, MP1 folds.

The bet on the 2 surprised me. I wasn't sure whether to raise or just call, maybe raise would have been better to protect my hand?

River: (4 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 6 BB

cockandbull
12-05-2004, 08:53 PM
id bet on each street until someone raises. I might be tempted to just check and call the river depending on the villian.

srt19170
12-05-2004, 09:52 PM
I think you should play this hand aggressively. After the flop you're almost certainly ahead. (Anyone with JJ-AA would have raise pf, and TT should.) You want people out of the hand so they can't make a winning hand on the turn or the river. For the same reason, you should raise the turn bet from SB -- although there's some small chance she just hit a set of 2s, in all likelihood you're still ahead.

-- Scott