PDA

View Full Version : Which would you rather be?

lowroller
12-05-2004, 06:13 PM
Cast your vote and please share the motivations for your choice.

lowroller
12-05-2004, 06:22 PM
I think the biggest benefit of being a high-profile player is the additional income you get from endorsement deals. However, EVRYONE (read: IRS & anyone else trying to get their hooks into you) knows how well you are doing.

I can't decide if the potential "costs" outweigh the benefits.

stabn
12-05-2004, 06:23 PM
I'll take the cash, you can have the fame. It means zilch to me.

lowroller
12-05-2004, 06:30 PM
I'm inclined to agree with you. Cash is the motivating factor for me. But this begs the next question:

Who makes more over their carreer?

1) Cash Pro

2) Tournament Pro

smoore
12-05-2004, 06:37 PM
gotta go cash man... If I ever do make a televised event I'll probably turn down interviews.

Diplomat
12-05-2004, 07:09 PM
The answer is obviously cash.

-Diplomat

snakehead
12-05-2004, 07:19 PM
which one makes more money?

sfer
12-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Fame is a serious detriment. Privacy is nice.

lowroller
12-05-2004, 07:41 PM
That's what I'm asking above.

I'm not really sure. I think the Cash Pro "keeps" more because he has less expenses.

The Tourney Pro puts up a small amount to hit a big score (almost like a professional sports bettor who only plays parlays). As I mentioned, they also get extra cash from endorsements, books, videos, chip-sets, etc.

But at the end of the day, which has the better bottom line?

It's something I've been wondering about lately. I see the Cash Pros at the cardrooms and they don't seem to be living the same lifestyle as some of these tourney pros. I'm not talking about just fame. Toureny Pros seems to be doing "very well" relative to the Cash Pro's that I see working everyday.

But maybe that's just the "image" that fame portrays.

thirddan
12-05-2004, 08:32 PM
i chose cash game, cuz i don't want to spend a large portion of my year travelling...

fnord_too
12-06-2004, 11:40 AM
I think the not traveling argument is the best one against being a high profile tourney pro, but I think the fame is worth a lot. The non (direct) poker income you can make by speaking, teaching, selling books, endorsing, etc. are huge and there is even the potential for traditional benefits by become a consultant or analyst (i.e. helathcare, retirement). Ironically, though tournies are higher variance (and probably lower EV), I think that path is the most risk mitigating if you can achieve fame (a big if, but the poll assumes you can).

M2d
12-06-2004, 02:06 PM
I chose cash pro because, well, I want to be Ray Zee-retired and fishing. the more I think about it, though, maybe successful tourney player is the way to go. I'm not in it for life (I hope), and the money I win now just goes to making my current life more fun. I've always said that if I make a big, Raymerian score, I'm be out so fast your hat would spin. pay my taxes, buy a string of laundromats and liquor stores (or maybe create a hybrid of the two), maybe get a job at a tackle shop or golf course, and drink cheap beer and expensive bourbon.

sublime
12-06-2004, 11:25 PM
money is my #1 priority when making this choice. but if it were close, i would choose to be famous. i am already good looking so the poon would be on-call.