PDA

View Full Version : 89s vs LAG

lynars
12-05-2004, 05:38 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, Hero calls, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (2 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls, SB folds.

River: (4 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB

Was my raise on the river bad play here? I was pretty sure that the player in big blind was the type that checked a Jack on the flop.

Nick C
12-05-2004, 05:47 PM
I think the river raise is good. I doubt BB has you on a straight. He could easily be betting less than a boat.

The decision that would be more difficult for me would be deciding whether or not to cap the river.

7ontheline
12-05-2004, 05:50 PM
I would raise this river just about every time. Also, personally I would cap the river. More often than not I think the BB in a situation like this will have a lone J. I think that you're good far more than 50% of the time, and since there is a cap limit on the number of bets I would just pop it again. Are other people here more afraid of the full house? I know hands like JT are often limping hands, but this guy is getting a free play out of the BB - he could just as easily have J2, and since he's LAGy I'm not as scared of his 3-bet.

lynars
12-05-2004, 05:52 PM
After playing like 20 orbits with that player my read was that he almost never reraised at the river if he dident hold a real monster.

joker122
12-05-2004, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The decision that would be more difficult for me would be deciding whether or not to cap the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep. i'm leaning towards cap, especially given hero's read.

joker122
12-05-2004, 05:53 PM
but he's still aggro enough to be labeled "lag"?

lynars
12-05-2004, 05:56 PM
hes very aggro pre, flop and turn, but slows down on river if he dosent have a real monster as mentioned. But hes play on all other streets really makes him a LAG

Nick C
12-05-2004, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After playing like 20 orbits with that player my read was that he almost never reraised at the river if he dident hold a real monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, I think I'd just call the 3-bet.

Anyway, though, your initial river raise is good.

7ontheline
12-05-2004, 05:57 PM
Well, given the read then I might also just call the river 3-bet.

Nick C
12-05-2004, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hes very aggro pre, flop and turn, but slows down on river if he dosent have a real monster as mentioned. But hes play on all other streets really makes him a LAG

[/ QUOTE ]

I run into quite a few players like this when I play live $3/6. I also run into some preflop LAGs who begin slowing down at the turn.

I think this type of player is rarer online but does exist there as well.