PDA

View Full Version : Check raise/Not effective

NYCBIZ
12-05-2004, 05:27 PM
I spent about 4.5 hours playing live $4/$8 at the Tropicana in Atlantic City. A situation similar to this made-up scenario came up more than once. What do you think you would interpret here (if anything).

Table has a couple of calling stations, but most players are tight/aggressive. Say you have AK or AQ in middle position. You raise, and get the blinds and a couple of players in late position to call. The flop is favorable, something like A, 10, 6 rainbow, and it gets checked to you. One of the players behind you is loose, and it gets checked to you, so you check planning to check raise. Indeed, the button bets, the blinds call again, you raise, and everyone calls your bet. Then the turn is something that doesn't appear to help anyone, say it's a 5, leaving the board at A, 10, 6, and 5 with no flush possibilities. One of the blind now bets.

So, I checkraise, and it really gets no respect. Should I raise now, or just call, thinking I'm now behind?

One other question, if the turn got checked to you, would it be wise to try again for the checkraise, or should you rarely plan to do that two betting-rounds in a row?

Joe826
12-05-2004, 05:34 PM
sounds like you really love the checkraise. i think you should just play hands like these straight forward. bet the flop, and one of the blinds leads out on the turn i'll raise here a good percentage of the time, but i'll also call some of the time as well. it really depends on the player.