PDA

View Full Version : Is this kind of bluff worth it?

wheelz
12-05-2004, 04:28 PM
BB is TAG for the most part, but can get real tricky. He's a good player, and is definitely capable of a pure bluff, but doesn't do it too often.

Pokerchamps 2/4, 6-handed

Preflop:
Hero is in CO with As 9c
2 folds, Hero raises, Button calls, SB folds, BB 3-bets, Hero and Button call.

Flop 8h 7h 4h
BB bets, Hero calls, button folds.

Turn 2h
BB bets, Hero raises

Ugly? Too tricky? Worth it? Comments?

Grisgra
12-05-2004, 04:38 PM
I don't know if it's worth it, but I will say that if you do it, make sure you fire the river bullet.

I'll try this every once in awhile against a tight player, though. But I greatly prefer doing it as a semibluff . . .

wheelz
12-05-2004, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if it's worth it, but I will say that if you do it, make sure you fire the river bullet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was planning on checking if he called. If he calls my raise on the turn with 4 hearts on board, what could change that might make him fold the river?

Maybe he was calling in case I was bluffing, figuring he could easily fold if I bet the river?

joker122
12-05-2004, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

def. not. if he is a tag then a turn call means he has a decent heart (likely the J or Q here) and he's planning on showing down. the only time it would be correct is if he can fold a set on the river without filling up, but a set isn't likely based on simple probabilities.

Grisgra
12-05-2004, 08:47 PM
Thought there were only three hearts. Doh! Use the pretty symbol fonts next time /images/graemlins/smile.gif.
In that case, I think the raise is iffier and, obviously, don't fire the river bullet.

Danenania
12-05-2004, 08:59 PM
I'd just fold the flop. At first I thought you raised preflop then he bet into you on the flop, in which case I would like the bluff more, but the way it went calling the flop seems silly.

wheelz
12-05-2004, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd just fold the flop. At first I thought you raised preflop then he bet into you on the flop, in which case I would like the bluff more, but the way it went calling the flop seems silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I meant by "is it worth it," I called the flop hoping for a card to bluff with... if he had a heart, I was losing a bunch, if he didn't, I'd take the pot. I don't know any math behind figuring out if doing that was profitable or not though. I don't think it was, but I had been raising a lot preflop lately and knew he might 3-bet me preflop with a lot of hands there, so I went for it.

fearme
12-05-2004, 11:13 PM
bluffing is essential shorthanded, but dont always do it that way he cant always call u down w/ marginal holdings