PDA

View Full Version : TV/Monitor Advice Needed

Monkeyslacks
12-05-2004, 04:25 PM
I want to multi table and do it on the big screen. Does anyone do this? TV, equipment suggestions? Will any LCD tv work for this?

Monkeyslacks
12-05-2004, 07:04 PM
n/m

wacki
12-05-2004, 07:10 PM
If your video card doesn't already have a S-Video or RCA out just use a VGA to RCA/S-Video adaptor.

Monkeyslacks
12-05-2004, 07:21 PM
Thanks. Suspicion confirmed.

I'm going to buy a new tv for this purpose. Are there any big screen options out there that will allow for 4-tabling with no overlap?

wacki
12-05-2004, 07:24 PM
Just adjust the resolution output on your computer.

smoore
12-05-2004, 08:48 PM
I think the best high definition standard might be able to, but a regular TV is something like 320x240. Not sure how windows handles getting a whole desktop on the screen, might be able to test with your current TV.

edit: off the cuff, I think techtv.com would be a good place to start research.

fatmongo
12-05-2004, 09:01 PM
If you connect thru S-video, I believe the only resolution your TV will be able to display is 800x600 or smaller, and it will look like crap. I could be wrong (about the resolution, not about it looking like crap). No where near as crisp as a monitor or a LCD display. If you have a LCD TV or a plasma or any HD capable set, connect your computer to its DVI or VGA input, and you should be able to display at any resolution that you can on your computers monitor. Even widescreen if you're lucky. But that depends on your video card I guess.

As far as fitting 4 tables on screen with no overlap, it can be done. But you would have to increase your resolution so much that on-screen fonts and stuff will shrink to the point of being almost unreadable from a distance. So you might have to sit closer than normal to your TV to read text.

What TV are you looking to pick up?

Monkeyslacks
12-05-2004, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What TV are you looking to pick up?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the point really. I want to get as updated and future proof as possible. I don't have a desktop (just a laptop) and I intend to purchase both at the same time. I'm liking the Dell LCD tvs, but want the best setup for multi-tabling. We've got a small DC apartment, so I'm hoping to save space by using the new tv as a monitor and just put the cpu tower next to it.

I knew a guy who was going for the same thing and he got a Gateway TV and could watch and play at the same time. The problem was that he couldn't have more than one table open at a time...

Monkeyslacks
12-05-2004, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
off the cuff, I think techtv.com would be a good place to start research.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks.

BusterStacks
12-05-2004, 10:19 PM
You won't be able to 4-table with no overlap on a TV.

fatmongo
12-05-2004, 10:22 PM
Can I assume you're gonna get a Dell PC as well as a Dell TV? If so, just get a top of the line video card in the PC. Also, call their support line, talk to a live person, and let them know you're willing to drop serious cash into your system. They will field any questions you have. Though I doubt they know anything about playing multiple tables.
As far as that guy with the Gateway TV goes, could he only do one table when the PC was fullscreen? Or could he only do one table while he was watchig TV as well?

Monkeyslacks
12-05-2004, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can I assume you're gonna get a Dell PC as well as a Dell TV?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is likely a safe assumption.

[ QUOTE ]
As far as that guy with the Gateway TV goes, could he only do one table when the PC was fullscreen? Or could he only do one table while he was watchig TV as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

One table nearly filled his screen completely, but it was a smaller tv (maybe 20".)

fatmongo
12-05-2004, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One table nearly filled his screen completely, but it was a smaller tv (maybe 20".)

[/ QUOTE ]

If he had his computer plugged in to the tv via S-video, he would not be able to fit more than 1 table on screen without overlap, because of the resolution. In my experience, and if it was an LCD TV, if he plugged his computer into the TVs VGA-in he would be able to adjust the resolution on his computer to whatever his video card was capable of outputting. Fitting 4 tables on a 20" screen would take a high resolution setting that I think would only be available on a good/very good video card, and it would also make everything harder to read. My TV is 40", which is relatively the same size as 4 20" screens. But if I set my resolution to fit 4 tables, I have to sit about 4 feet away to read text clearly, which is 4 or 5 feet closer than I normall sit to watch TV. And for me it is not comfortable, or easy on my eyes. But that is a personal call.