PDA

View Full Version : Ax from BB when flop comes with an A

Benke
12-05-2004, 04:20 PM
I have played poker for a couple of months now, and it feels like I'm a worse player now than before.
Today I got A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif in BB on a loose/passive 10-handed table on Pacificpoker. I got to see the flop for free, it was me and five more to the flop.
It came something like A /images/graemlins/heart.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif.
SB checks, what do I do here? Easy check/fold? or check/raise a late position bet? or lead out?
I feel ashamed to ask this.

Nick C
12-05-2004, 05:02 PM
Situations like the one in the hand you describe are difficult. You may have the best hand on the flop, but you could also be behind a better ace. Besides that, there are straight and flush possibilities that you don't have any piece of. Even if you have the best hand right now, it's very vulnerable.

With so many opponents, I'd be inclined to check and see what develops. (If it came back two bets to me, I'd fold.) If a single bet comes from late position and that bet could easily mean something other than top pair, then I think a checkraise is good.

I think leading the flop is also an option, though.

One consideration is how passive or aggressive the table has been preflop. If the table has been aggressive preflop, then you're more likely to have the only ace (since no one raised preflop in this hand).

Still, since the table is loose, it's entirely possible someone has a better Ace-rag hand than you. I don't think you should assume that they do, though, and also you could end up chopping against some Ace-rag hands (if top pair holds up).

_Kevin_
12-05-2004, 05:39 PM
I may be a little too tight, but I've given up on hands like this against a lot of loose players (most of which will play any A). You MIGHT have the best hand but it's not likely. The 2 to a flush also makes it extremely vulnerable (a straight draw is possible but less likely). I would check/fold this. At worst you are passing up on a very slight advantage and you could be drawing to 2 outs (the 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif & 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif) or worse if they have A6 or A8. If you had K3 and the flop was a K86, I would be more inclined to stay (many of these fish won't play K-rag but they always play A-rag) but I still think its marginal. A lot depends on the reads. If you could get information by betting (i.e., they would raise with an A and call or fold without one) then betting out may be the right play. I don't like a CR here (I think they call or reraise if they have you beat and fold if they don't).

Just my $0.02 worth and I agree an arguement can be made to play it differentl.

Shillx
12-05-2004, 05:44 PM
Check. If the action goes something like bet, call, call then I would fold. If someone bets and people drop out, then I would call. If the turn card is a bad one (a /images/graemlins/club.gif or a 7 or 9 for example), then I'll fold there. If the turn is okay I'll check/call again and bet the river.

Shill