PDA

View Full Version : QQ with overcard flop, good/bad fold?

topspin
12-05-2004, 03:42 PM
First orbit, no reads. How's my line on the flop?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">5 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 5.50 BB

Emmitt2222
12-05-2004, 04:09 PM
I generally call in situations similar to this just because if people notice anything its when you fold to a raise, but I think that it is probably saving you money now to fold. Depending on the read I may fold when there is a bet before like that right away instead of trying the raise, but its either fold or raise so that if they are aggressive I would raise that and then probably call.

topspin
12-05-2004, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I generally call in situations similar to this just because if people notice anything its when you fold to a raise

[/ QUOTE ]

I posted this because I really wasn't sure what to do on the flop. I hate folding to a single bet because it just feels so weak, and the bettor could have anything from an underpair to second or even bottom pair.

When I get 3-bet, the pot's laying 1:11 and I'm a 1:22 dog. These odds are not even close to being sufficient to draw, even if you assume I'll get paid off 2 more BB (4SB) if I hit on the turn. In another post I argued that getting implied odds of 1:20-ish should be enough to make a loose call in a situation similar to this, but I think 1:15 implied is too much of a stretch for me.

In the past I would have called and check-folded the turn UI, but I'm trying to rethink and cut down on my loose calls. I'd love to hear any comments about if I'm correctly applying or misapplying this approach here.

Klak
12-05-2004, 05:21 PM
i like this line. it seems like the cheapest way to find out whether you are beaten or not.