PDA

View Full Version : I won but did I lose?

04-19-2002, 05:46 PM
UB online tourney final ten qualify for a 100 person tourney with a grand prize of seat in the WSOP big Tamale.

Tourney started with 120 players with about T251,000 in chips at an uneven distribution based on the previous 10 days or so play. I am on the button with T3200. The blinds are 200/400 with 60 players left in tourney, average chip stack about T4200.

MP raises to 800, next to him calls, all fold to me I call with TT, SB folds, BB calls, T3400 in pot.

Flop comes T22o, all check to me I bet 800 all fold.

Should I have checked and waited for someone to pick up a draw or make 2 pair? Or perhaps should I have reraised pre-flop and either check the flop or be able to go all in after the flop with the 2nd nut hand expecting callers do to my chip position or better odds? Or did I play it correctly?

I go on to place third in the tourney and qualify for Saturdays opportunity at the WSOP seat plus I win $25 for being in the top 20.

Jimbo

04-19-2002, 06:51 PM
Preflop, with only T3200 left, I think calling is out of the question. If you want to play your tens, you should push in and try to get it heads-up; otherwise you should fold and wait until you can first enter the pot w/ a raise.

On the flop, I think that you should either check or push in: You have exactly one pot-sized bet left and an underbet of 1/3 pot in this situation makes it completely obvious that you want a call. (I'd prefer to check and check again on turn - with a monster like that you can afford to slowplay, also b/c you need only one bet to get your stack in the middle).

cu

Ignatius

04-20-2002, 12:17 AM
Funny how I'd actually typed out a reply (but messed up the post) to this just before starting my round in the UB freeroll and then 2 hours later I get 10 10 on the Button, everyone folds to me and I go allin. Caller on the BB makes a Q on the river with his AQ and I'm out.

I'm absolutely still of the opinion I was before it though. You either have to go allin with it and not let overcards see the flop cheaply or fold the hand in situations like this.

With 10 10 what are you looking to flop?

No overcards are unlikely, and who knows where you are against someone whose shown strength when even one overcard flops?

Your not getting the odds to look for a flop with no overcards you can go allin on imo, as they'll surely fold anyway if they don't outdraw your 10's on the flop.

The worst you can do is let them see the flop cheaply and then not have a clue what to do when the likely overcards come.

Best case: they miss the flop and fold when you've bet and you've won very little.

Worst case: you can't lay the hand down when an overcard comes and your beaten.

So you win very little playing this way but risk an awful lot.

Risk is much greater than reward.

I'm all for putting it allin before the flop if you think you can get overcards to fold or even call. Either you'll win the money in there now or get 1/1 odds on an even proposition.

Essentially it depends on if you need to make a stand now with this hand, or can you afford to wait for a better opportunity?

Whaddoo I know though.

I effectively go out for the night with QQ against 65o who goes allin on a flop of 339.

What was that you were saying about 'Queen Power' Jimbo?... :]

04-20-2002, 02:50 AM
to all the chicks?

SHAFT

right on...

04-21-2002, 12:13 AM
John,

thanks for your reply. When I watched your exit from the tournament I understood why I played the hand as I did and therefore made it to the qualifier today. Of course I went out 31st but had I not been beaten by Queen power, my opponents not mine, I would have made it to the final table. Funny how one key hand makes all the difference.

Good Luck,

Jimbo

04-21-2002, 11:47 AM
Yeah I'm with you man, but like with yourself the Queen hand of your opponent killed you off.

With me it was losing to runner runner with the Queens that was the death blow earlier that I'd just hung around from.

Because of the blinds and chip stacks at that point the 10 10 hand looked like a great chance to steal the valuable blinds, or gamble on the 50/50 to overcards proposition.

It comes down to the question I asked earlier regarding the 10s hand "Do you need to make a stand now?"

At that point I did, if you don't then I would agree, pass on the 10's or don't risk much on them.

We'll get 'em next time anyway mate, I always wanted to really win the Hellmuth freeroll anyway ;]