PDA

View Full Version : Tom McEvoy's Bad Idea

04-19-2002, 01:16 PM
In card player a few months ago, Tom McEvoy criticized the Commerce for the late start (the SCHEDULED late start) of the LA Poker Classic Tournaments.

They started at 6:30 I believe--right after work for most of the THOUSANDS of tournament fans in LA. Apparently, this is too close to Tom's bedtime or something, so he suggested that they start the tourneys earlier.

The LA Poker Classic was a fantastic success for the Commerce. Both of the $250K guaranteed limit holdems beat the guarantee by nearly the guarantee! In addition, in the live games, the Commerce, which has just built a giant new room for yellow chip (10-20 and up) and higher games, had so many live games that they had to put some of the yellow chip games back in the old room.

Now the California State Poker Championship tournaments will all start at 3PM. I doubt that the prize pools will be nearly as big as even last years pools--let alone the LA Poker Classic's. This is a big mistake on the part of the Commerce, as they could have built on the success of the first event and cemented their place as the best tournament venue in LA--eclipsing even the Bike's Legends in August.

I hope that I am proven wrong, but I am surprised that the seemingly savvy and clear thinking Commerce management would have buckled and messed with near perfection.