12-05-2004, 05:50 AM
Thought on this group?

I like em.

Popinjay
12-05-2004, 06:02 AM
LB AND JZ GONNA THROW IT DOWN

ThaSaltCracka
12-05-2004, 06:03 AM
yeah, I liked that concert, I would have loved to have been there.

Chris Daddy Cool
12-05-2004, 06:11 AM
i've been a Linkin Park fan since day one when I first saw the video to Crawling and was like "whoa these dudes are cool."

Hybrid Theory is effing awesome.

ThaSaltCracka
12-05-2004, 06:23 AM
it seems like a lot of people hate them though. I like them though. IMO, they are the pinacle of rock and rap combined. Plus they seem like cool dudes, that aren't full of themselves.

dr. klopek
12-05-2004, 06:42 AM
I think linkin park is one of the worst bands I've ever heard. I mean, if you like them, that's cool. Maybe I'm missing something. I just think they blow. Hard.

ThaSaltCracka
12-05-2004, 06:45 AM
why do you dislike them?

dr. klopek
12-05-2004, 07:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why do you dislike them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't really say. They just aren't my bag. You said you like them b/c they mix rap and rock well, which, IMO is something so tricky it has only been done successfully once. They attempt to make hip-hop and rock, but neither turns out well. If you take bad rock and bad rap and put them together....

BTW, "the new danger:" much better than I originally gave it credit for.

jimymat
12-05-2004, 07:05 AM
I liked the lil mix they did with jay z. Other than that im not a big fan of either.

ThaSaltCracka
12-05-2004, 07:08 AM
hmmmm...... IMO, LP does rap/rock better than anyone else, but I respect the dissent.

[ QUOTE ]

BTW, "the new danger:" much better than I originally gave it credit for.

[/ QUOTE ] I love this album. It is like Mos Def + K-Os + Wyclef + Soul. The CD is very good as far as songs go, but as an album its inconistent. I like it a lot though.

dr. klopek
12-05-2004, 07:26 AM
Dude, all due respect, but I think you should check out a few rappers before you make that kind of claim about LP. There are people who bring so much more musicianship into their music than this.

I am guilty of being a huge elitist when it comes to hip-hop, and therefore I am extremely passionate about this and have spent quite a bit of time doing my "research," so I get a bit closed-minded. But seriously man, I think that there are people out there who are working hard at helping rap evolve as a musical/literary style of it's own. Linkin Park are not these people. Keep going in the Mos Def direction.

ThaSaltCracka
12-05-2004, 07:32 AM
I think you are jumping to a conclusion. I don't consider Mike Shinoda a good rapper at all. I think him and Cheter combine to make the best rap/rock combo ever though. There huge fan bas supports this claim, IMO. I realize having a lot of fans means nothing, but their staying power mean something to me.

dr. klopek
12-05-2004, 07:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you are jumping to a conclusion. I don't consider Mike Shinoda a good rapper at all. I think him and Cheter combine to make the best rap/rock combo ever though. There huge fan bas supports this claim, IMO. I realize having a lot of fans means nothing, but their staying power mean something to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah man, when I went back and read my last reply, I was like: "Wow. I am a snob. And a jerk to boot." But that's not how I wanted it to sound.

How do you stack them up to Rage Against The Machine?

Do you listen to more hip-hop or rock?

ThaSaltCracka
12-05-2004, 07:47 AM
don't trip man, you like what you like, and thats good enoug for me.

RATM is not rap/rock IMo. They are closer to Punk rock mixed with alternative(ala Nirvana).

I listen to far more hip hop than rock. Probably 75% to 25%.

Chris Daddy Cool
12-05-2004, 07:51 AM
Incidently I actually think Mike is a little underappreciated as a rapper because of the "rock" image LP has, but I da agree that they have the best rap/rock combination going out there.

dr. klopek
12-05-2004, 07:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I da agree that they have the best rap/rock combination going out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two of you now? Klopek is never wrong!!! I'm gonna have to listen to them some more now.

ThaSaltCracka
12-05-2004, 07:55 AM
I agree on the underrated [censored], but he doesn't compoare with a lot of rappers. IMO he is above avage, in fact he is probaby better than half of the most popular rap acts out there. Which I guess isn't saying a lot about most of the pop-rap acts out there.

SGS
12-05-2004, 08:00 AM
I'll give them a decnt rating.

SGS

Macdaddy Warsaw
12-05-2004, 08:42 AM
I think they have good instrumentation/beats, but I can't stand their vocals/lyrics. If they would just keep their mouths closed...

BusterStacks
12-05-2004, 01:16 PM
Linkin Park rules. Combined with Jay-Z? This makes me think the world was made just for me, heh

Tyler Durden
12-05-2004, 01:40 PM
LP is a great band. If you're a fan and you don't have the Live in Texas DVD, I highly recommend it.

Beerfund
12-05-2004, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i've been a Linkin Park fan since day one when I first saw the video to Crawling and was like "whoa these dudes are cool."

Hybrid Theory is effing awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hybrid Theory is one of my favorite albums ever but since then the music seems to whiny and played out. What I've heard of the Jayz colab. is pretty sweet tho.

Voltron87
12-05-2004, 02:24 PM
They're pretty good, some nice songs. But the singer (the one whose not Shinoda) can get annoying.

The JayZ/LP show was pretty sweet though.

daryn
12-05-2004, 02:29 PM
i agree w/ klopek, rage is the best of that genre, and they are definitely rock, hardly punk/alternative cracka.

as for linkin park, i think they suck, but i'm not one of those guys who really cares what other people listen to. i'm sure they have plenty of fans, and that doesn't bother me. to each his own.

Bobby Digital
12-05-2004, 04:45 PM
Linkin Park sucks. Them being on the tap of rap/rock list hardly makes them relevant. Every song I'm thinkin I just heard on the previous track. Whiny screaming, paper thin raps, and songs that all sound very similar. It all seems a little too "middle school" for me. Jay-Z likes money.

Lazymeatball
12-05-2004, 06:36 PM
Where did LP come from? Weren't they just manufactured by some record company like any other boy band? I like alot of their catchy songs that get airplay, but they just don't feel genuine to me. Anyway, someone should start a thread on the best Rap/Rock combos in history.

1. Run DMC / Aerosmith - walk this way
2. I think it was Onyx and Biohazard, forget the name of the song.

ThaSaltCracka
12-05-2004, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Them being on the top of rap/rock list hardly makes them relevant.

[/ QUOTE ] wtf? How?

fatmongo
12-05-2004, 09:35 PM
I was trying to stay out of this discussion because I don't think anybody cares to hear me say that I think Linkin Park sucks. But I had to chime in as soon as Rage was brought up.
To call Rage alternative is to say you are deaf. Nothing against alternative, but I don't think you can rock harder than Rage. You can rock faster, and you can add more guitars, but I doubt you can straight up rock more.
Back to Linkin Park. I think they are just a watered down version of 311 that swings on MTVs nuts. Now I also hated 311 when they broke, but have grown to tolerate them. But I don't think they whine nearly as much as Linkin Park, which is what really kills them for me.

ThaSaltCracka
12-05-2004, 09:41 PM
I still think RATM is punk/alternative, sort of like nirvana, but either way its irrelevant. They were one of the best rock groups in the 90's.

As for LP being a 311 knock off, thats a bit absurd, LP is a lot better.

Synth
12-05-2004, 09:52 PM
Linkin Park are one of the many new bands that blow!

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you can rock harder than Rage. You can rock faster, and you can add more guitars, but I doubt you can straight up rock more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, you're kidding right?

fatmongo
12-05-2004, 09:52 PM
I guess all I meant to say was both have turntables, a live band, and 2 singers: 1 that raps and one that does the chorus. Other than that they're completely different.
And by suck I meant its not my type of music. But there is far worse music out there as well.

Cerril
12-05-2004, 10:19 PM
It's interesting that the group manages to be overhyped and underappreciated at the same time. Mainstream they're given even more credit than they're due (well maybe not 'credit', 'coverage' is a better word). Of the styles of music I actively pursue, I felt HT was the best album of the year it came out, and Meteora blew me away as well.

At the same time a lot of people on all parts of the music spectrum find LP derivative, unoriginal, and otherwise not really all that great. I think their style gets a lot more flak than they deserve.

Anyway, never seen 'em, dunno if I ever will, but I certainly will snap up every CD of new music (not a big remix person).

ThaSaltCracka
12-05-2004, 10:27 PM
well whats weird is they are so huge, but they don't act like they are huge.

Cerril
12-05-2004, 10:39 PM
See, I absolutely love LP, and I would generally agree with the statement about them being an amazing duo, but I also think that their music is hard to classify as strictly rap/rock, whatever they want to be. They tend to be a little more loose in their genre bounds, straying into a few of the other areas mentioned as well, so a strict fan of rap would, I expect, not be quite so blown away.

I, on the other hand, am not much of a fan of pure rap, preferring the more tame sort of stuff - I have pretty strict requirements in music I like, though it spans just about every genre. So LP appeals a lot to me, and I could really care less if he's a complete failure as a rapper (which, obviously, would be going too far)

daryn
12-06-2004, 01:55 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
I still think RATM is punk/alternative, sort of like nirvana, but either way its irrelevant. They were one of the best rock groups in the 90's.

As for LP being a 311 knock off, thats a bit absurd, LP is a lot better.

[/ QUOTE ]

come on man, rage is nothing like nirvana. NOTHING.

nirvana is basically a POP band, with POP songs. i really like nirvana by the way.

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 02:09 AM
well whatever then, maybe I shouldn't label either of them.

daryn
12-06-2004, 02:18 AM
well, i don't think you'd get an argument from anybody if you called nirvana alternative. that's what they are. i'm just saying they wrote pop songs, but they are definitely alternative rock.

i just think rage is in a different class and it's easy to tell just from listening. have you listened to them extensively?

Popinjay
12-06-2004, 02:22 AM
it's all about the korean dj

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 02:22 AM
Dude, if Nirvana wrote pop songs, then you could say the same thing about Rage. Personally, I think they both were alt rock bands that became huge(pop). I use to be a huge Rage fan, have the first three albums, and they are good, but at times it sounds repetitive. One thing I always found funny was when people said Rage was rap influenced. Nothing they made sounded like a rap song, in fact, the lead singer(name is alluding me right now) never sounded like a rappper. IMO, he seemed more punk like, which was why I said they were punk/alt rock.

nothumb
12-06-2004, 02:27 AM
You're so wrong on Rage. Although I mainly listen to the first album and he was more of a lyricist at that time. But they are not an 'alternative' band like Nirvana, grunge etc.

Anyway, RATM influences aside, I hate Linkin Park like I hate almost no other band. I wouldn't hate them that much if I hadn't read all the reviews in Spin that tried to put this cultural theory on the band and how they address their songs to an unidentified 'you' and the sophisticated artistic sensibilities that inform their lyrics. For Christ's sake, they're whiny emo-rap-metal over-hybridized crap for angry teenagers, just leave it at that.

Anyway, yeah, I wouldn't hate them so much if they didn't act like they were doing something sophisticated or special. They are very well produced. That's about all I can say for them.

NT

nothumb
12-06-2004, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing they made sounded like a rap song, in fact, the lead singer(name is alluding me right now) never sounded like a rappper. IMO, he seemed more punk like, which was why I said they were punk/alt rock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, as far as Nirvana being a pop band, Daryn is right. Cobain grew up a Beatles fan and it obviously shows. As a musician and a songwriter it couldn't be more obvious to me. I was a huge Nirvana fan too, still think they were great. But they are more of a 'pop' band than probably any other grunge-era band.

Did you miss all of the reviews from 1994-2000 that kept saying Rage was one of the rap/rock fusion originals? They have a lot more in common with hardcore or metal than alt rock or grunge. Very separate genres and approaches. I agree that they get repetitive after a while, but I liked them as a band. Still, de la Rocha was basically half rapper/poet, half hardcore singer. No alt rock in the mix. None. That whole tortured baritone soft-loud dynamic thing? No.

Anyway, this is a totally nitty distinction to make, but, point is, Linkin Park suck, and so did Limp Bizkit.

NT

fatmongo
12-06-2004, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For Christ's sake, they're whiny emo-rap-metal over-hybridized crap for angry teenagers, just leave it at that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man oh man! You just blew my mind! What a description!

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 02:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you miss all of the reviews from 1994-2000 that kept saying Rage was one of the rap/rock fusion originals?

[/ QUOTE ] yeah, and I think thats BS because IMO Rage was not rap sounding at all.

daryn
12-06-2004, 02:44 AM
cracka i think you are misunderstanding me when i say nirvana wrote pop songs. by that i don't mean pop as in popular... but just the style of songs they wrote. i mean, simple chord progressions, verse chorus verse bridge chorus.. you know what i mean.

zack de la rocha.

he doesn't rap? wowowowowow.

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 02:48 AM
gotcha.

Yeah, I don't think he rapped, atleast not all the time.

fatmongo
12-06-2004, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, and I think thats BS because IMO Rage was not rap sounding at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno what your perception on rap is. Just because Zack's lyrics were intelligent and didn't suck, doesn't mean he wasn't rapping. Rap does not always equal suck. Rage is a perfect example.

Then again I have heard some new stuff by Zack without the band where he just rhymes over straight beats. Man that stuff is crap.

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I dunno what your perception on rap is. Just because Zack's lyrics were intelligent and didn't suck, doesn't mean he wasn't rapping. Rap does not always equal suck.

[/ QUOTE ] you are an idiot.

fatmongo
12-06-2004, 02:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dunno what your perception on rap is. Just because Zack's lyrics were intelligent and didn't suck, doesn't mean he wasn't rapping. Rap does not always equal suck.

[/ QUOTE ] you are an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your perception on what rap is is this wack, I wonder what your perception of idiot is.

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 02:58 AM
if you have a perception that all rap music sucks, then you are an idiot.

thirddan
12-06-2004, 03:01 AM
Rage is on the rock side of the coin here...

For a real rap/rock outfit check out hed(pe)...they aren't great and they dont suck, but they are definitely a rap/rock fusion band...

daryn
12-06-2004, 03:02 AM
come on man. why, because you think that rap doesn't suck? if you hated rap he'd be a genius.

anyway back to the original point. how could you not consider what de la rocha does to be rap? he delivers it like rap, and it rhymes.

i guess i'm not sure what else to say. why not provide us with your definition of rap?

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 03:06 AM
well don't most lyrics rhyme? I think I can probably say at times he sounds like rap, but when I think of Rage, rap is not what comes to mind, I suppose thats my point.

[ QUOTE ]
come on man. why, because you think that rap doesn't suck? if you hated rap he'd be a genius.

[/ QUOTE ] if you hate a type of music thats fine, but because you don't like something, that does not mean it is crap. i personally hate classical and country music but that doesn't mean they are crap. People shouldn't paint with such a broad brush.

fatmongo
12-06-2004, 03:07 AM
I never said that all rap sucks. Or any for that matter, though I do believe that a lot of it does. What I tried to say about Zack's rapping was that it was intellectual, educational even. Do you know how much stuff I looked up just because I listened to his lyrics and had no idea what he was talking about? His lyrics just add another dimension to music that was already mindblowing. My opinion only, of course.
So maybe I was an idiot at one time, but thanks to knowledge I gathered from listening to the rap of Zack de la Rocha, I am an idiot no longer!
Daryn, do him a favor and tell him I do not think that all rap sucks. As is most recently evident by my addicton to GTA: San Andreas.

daryn
12-06-2004, 03:10 AM
he doesn't hate all rap. we listen to rap sometimes. a handful of it is good.

i do agree with this:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
but because you don't like something, that does not mean it is crap. i personally hate classical and country music but that doesn't mean they are crap. People shouldn't paint with such a broad brush.

[/ QUOTE ]

but cracka you still haven't given me your definition of rap, and explained why you don't think rage sounds like it.

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 03:11 AM
my apologies.

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 03:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but cracka you still haven't given me your definition of rap,

[/ QUOTE ] you are not going to like this answer, but I can't really describe what rap music is, I can just tell when I hear it. Lyrics that rhyme don't neccesarily make it rap music either, sorry if I am being a pain in the ass. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Lazymeatball
12-06-2004, 09:32 AM
TSC, go listen to "Fist Full of Steel" off of RATM's first self titled album, and then admit that there are definitely elements of rap in Zack de la Rocha's delivery. In fact, listen to the whole first album, it's great, and all of that album could be sung while grabbing your crotch in an LL Cool J like fashion.

Oh yeah, and I just made the connection of who fatmongo is. Love riding in that red truck.

dr. klopek
12-06-2004, 09:50 AM
Okay, there is no such thing as rap music. It is hip-hop. Rap is a vocal style. There is no "Sing Music" is there? I just thought we should share common nomenclature. That said, no, Rage Against the Machine is not hip-hop. It is rock music with rap vocals (I don't see how anyone can question the FACT that Zach De La Rocha is rapping in their music).

johnnycakes
12-06-2004, 10:42 AM
LP is a horrendous band.

Laughably bad lyrics.
Generic "heavy" riffs.
Ridiculously bad looking videos featuring melodramatic posings and special effects inspired by the Trapper Keeper covers of rednecks in the 80's.

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, there is no such thing as rap music. It is hip-hop. Rap is a vocal style. There is no "Sing Music" is there? I just thought we should share common nomenclature. That said, no, Rage Against the Machine is not hip-hop. It is rock music with rap vocals (I don't see how anyone can question the FACT that Zach De La Rocha is rapping in their music).

[/ QUOTE ]fair enough, and I think this is what I was talking about, but I couldn't explain it in a clear or intelligent way.

Toro
12-06-2004, 12:42 PM
Definitely sucks. Years ago they had thouroughbreds running there but even then it was a second rate track, probably on a par with Narragansett Park and not even as good as Suffolk Downs.

Then they converted it to greyhound racing and it really became the pits. Now they got slots and a lot of people go there for that but with Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun nearby I can't figure out why. Next time Salty, do a little homework.

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 12:45 PM
LMAO, funny stuff man.