PDA

View Full Version : AQo vs. LAG

PotatoStew
12-05-2004, 01:18 AM
MP2 here is rather LAGish... earlier he 3 bet from MP with QJo against a raise from a somewhat tight player.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (16.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 18.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 18.50 BB, between MP2 and Hero.</font>

Should I have slowed down somewhere?

ecooke
12-05-2004, 01:26 AM
If he's really really LAG then I like it - especially the Isolation 3 bet PF.
Otherwise, I stop and go on the Flop and hit the gas on the Turn. River looks good.

PotatoStew
12-05-2004, 12:57 PM
If he is NOT all that LAG, why the stop and go? Is that to milk more bets from someone who might not put them in as willingly if I was aggressive?

However, in this case, he did seem to be LAGish enough.

Another question -- you mentioned the isolation 3-bet. Isolation was part of the reason I did it, but also it's pretty standard for me to raise AQo from any position. Is that a bad idea?

Nick C
12-05-2004, 04:15 PM
Raising AQo preflop is good under most circumstances, since you're likely to have the best hand.

3-betting isn't quite the same thing. When it's raised in front of you, the possibility you're up against a hand like AA-QQ or AK just increased significantly. You aren't necessarily against those hands, but the possibility is something to worry about. I frequently fold AQo when it's raised in front of me.

But against your LAG opponent in this hand who frequently raises light, the 3-bet is good.

SamIAm
12-05-2004, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I frequently fold AQo when it's raised...But against your LAG... the 3-bet is good.

[/ QUOTE ]I agree completely. You're happy to go head-up against the LAG with AQo, but you don't really want anybody else along for the ride. If it was a decent player, especially if it was a good player, I fold AQo to a raise. You're probably ahead, but it's too expensive if you're not.

The rest of the hand was good. With that much action preflop, maybe you could go for a check-raise on the flop, but betting-out is ok, too. From there, you just push and push. I take it, from your 'slow-down' comment that he had AA or QQ?
-Sam

Kaz The Original
12-05-2004, 04:39 PM
Hmmm... the river action doesn't really look like QQ to me....

Spladle Master
12-05-2004, 04:43 PM
Or AA, for that matter. Maybe he had a four. :P

Nick C
12-05-2004, 05:37 PM
Just for the record, QQ is no longer possible once the river card falls. The only hands that can still beat hero are AA and 44.

PotatoStew
12-05-2004, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I take it, from your 'slow-down' comment that he had AA or QQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, those hands are definitely what I was worried about (until the river ... just AA then). I didn't think he was quite LAG enough to have raised preflop with a 4. What he actually had was Kh Jh for a flush draw from the flop and a gutshot straight draw from the turn. My hand was nice and good.