PDA

View Full Version : What is a good long range target rifle?

wacki
12-05-2004, 12:18 AM
When I was a kid I loved to go out into the field and see how far away I could put a quarter and still hit it. I don't have a rifle right now, but I'm thinking abour getting one. It would be nice if it used NATO/common ammunition, but will look at other ammo if I have to.

Also, what are some good gun forums?

cardcounter0
12-05-2004, 12:25 AM
"common/NATO" ammo isn't for long range. It is for tearing a person up when you hit them.

Try the .17 cal rifles. Extremely flat, will shoot a long way, good for targets.

wacki
12-05-2004, 12:31 AM
Really? Is this not true? Is the .17 better than the 7.62?

"The primary reason the .308 (or more properly the 7.62x51 NATO) is the main sniper cartridge for western armies is because the caliber is standard military-issue. That means that, in a pinch, usable ammo can be scrounged from stocks on hand. Add the fact that the .308 is a very accurate cartridge and you have all the reason you need."

http://www.hk94.com/hk/lofiversion/index.php/t12175.html

mntbikr15
12-05-2004, 12:31 AM
Anything in .223 caliber is nice.

mntbikr15
12-05-2004, 12:34 AM
Better is relative, the .17 was designed for a varmit round, the 7.62 was designed for a military round.

You going to do ANYTHING else but shoot targets with this, for instance u ever plan on hunting?

cardcounter0
12-05-2004, 12:34 AM
and what would they want that .308 to do at the end of it's journey? I think the objective would be to kill someone. So of all the military calibers, the .308 is the best long range killer.

The .17 is certainly better for extreme long range, but it is going to "plink" a target, not drop a man or penetrate body armor, or a vehicle, etc.

wacki
12-05-2004, 12:36 AM
No, I don't hunt. I shoot clays and targets, thats it.

Boris
12-05-2004, 12:42 AM
who are you going to shoot?

wacki
12-05-2004, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
who are you going to shoot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Read one post up.

Rooster71
12-05-2004, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When I was a kid I loved to go out into the field and see how far away I could put a quarter and still hit it. I don't have a rifle right now, but I'm thinking abour getting one. It would be nice if it used NATO/common ammunition, but will look at other ammo if I have to.

Also, what are some good gun forums?

[/ QUOTE ]
Two suggestion (in no particular order): Winchester 70 or Remington 700. Both of these rifles have long proven track records and are available in a wide range of calibers and configurations.

Blarg
12-05-2004, 04:32 AM
You can shoot a .22 for days and days for what you'll spend on ammo for centerfire cartridges that you can go through in an hour. If you're just testing your accuracy, I don't see a reason to go with the vastly more expensive option.

wacki
12-05-2004, 04:41 AM
Don't the .22's have a very short range? I thought they simply didn't fly that far.

Phat Mack
12-05-2004, 05:43 AM
Have you any interest in metalic silhouette shooting or black powder?

wacki
12-05-2004, 03:33 PM
I've shot black powder before and I think it's fun, but this is my first rifle and long range target shooting is what I like the most. I've never shot metallic silhouette before.

Ray Zee
12-05-2004, 05:00 PM
.22 really is fun out to about 100 yards or so. then it really is dropping off. but fun to plink with. you load shells easily and can carry a days supply in your pocket rather than backpack. you need both a .22 and a higher power caliber. the 223. can use military ammo. is very accurate and does well hunting up to deer size. the 308 is king for military rounds and long range as wind is less effect on heavier bullets. and that is the major consideration for heavier rounds. all centerfire rounds get expensive for lots of shooting. thus the .22 is king for short range fun.

Blarg
12-05-2004, 07:37 PM
A .22 longrifle cartridge can go for well over 2500 feet, and sometimes for like a mile, as I understand it.

Any cartridge is going to drop over distance, but learning to adjust your shooting for wind and distance to me is a very great part of the fun, and what marksmanship is all about. That's where marksman ship really comes in and shines.

The difference in quality of a rifle really starts to show when you get into longer ranges. That's when you'll see a Kimber or a Weatherby or something shine over a Remington or a Ruger 10/22 not just by a little, but by a lot. That's when, going out plinking, people with their own guns give up and keep on asking to borrow yours. Which I have to admit is also its own kind of fun. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Of course, if you're shooting at stuff especially far away, it might be because you're not plinking anymore anyway. Then you need whatever cartridge fits your game, I guess.

smoore
12-05-2004, 08:11 PM
I used to have an Anchutz (sic) .22 rimfire rifle for 50ft target shooting. We used to go plink at 100 yards and it was still rock solid, with groups the size of a dime with good ammo. Cheap (bucket o'bullets) ammo would have groupings about the size of a quarter. That's incredible for a rimfire.

My current varmit gun is a .220 swift by Ruger. I love it, coyotes at 250yds.

wacki
12-09-2004, 06:43 PM
Kimber guns are very nice looking and I am interested, but do they have any guns that are under $1,000?

[ QUOTE ]
You can shoot a .22 for days and days for what you'll spend on ammo for centerfire cartridges that you can go through in an hour. If you're just testing your accuracy, I don't see a reason to go with the vastly more expensive option.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can afford to get a decked out kimber (>$3,000) I don't think cost of ammo is an issue.

wacki
12-09-2004, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to have an Anchutz (sic) .22 rimfire rifle for 50ft target shooting. We used to go plink at 100 yards and it was still rock solid, with groups the size of a dime with good ammo. Cheap (bucket o'bullets) ammo would have groupings about the size of a quarter. That's incredible for a rimfire.

My current varmit gun is a .220 swift by Ruger. I love it, coyotes at 250yds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just checked out Anschutz. I really liked those. $500 is in my price range as well. Now I just need to find a place that sells them.

The .220 swift looks nice as well.

Phat Mack
12-09-2004, 07:46 PM
I just checked out Anschutz. I really liked those. $500 is in my price range as well. Now I just need to find a place that sells them.

Scope? Are you interested in buying a new rifle? I suggest borrowing a few different ones and seeing how you like their feel. A lot of likes and dislikes are subjective.

The .220 swift looks nice as well.

At the risk of being thrown off the forum, fire a .22 Hornet if you have the chance. Most people think they're too slow, but I'm a fan. (Before flaming, if you check out my post above, you'll see that I was trying to gently lead Wacki to a .45/70.)

NLSoldier
12-09-2004, 09:27 PM
The Sniper dominates in Halo (1&2)

wacki
12-09-2004, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Scope? Are you interested in buying a new rifle? I suggest borrowing a few different ones and seeing how you like their feel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I am intending on getting a new rifle. I plan on distance shooting so a scope will be in the picture.

I just checked out Thompson/Center rifles and I kind of liked them. I am 6'-5" so I need a bigger rifle.

I really liked the feel of the Remington 597 but the salesmen told me the groupsize at 100 yards and I decided against it.
http://www.remington.com/firearms/rimfire/597lss.htm

Thompson/Center guns seemed to have a nice feel to them and they are in my price range (~$500) as well. I've been told they have thumb size groupings at 50 yards. Right now I like Silver lynx and 22 classic benchmark a lot.
http://www.tcarms.com/silverlynx/index.php
http://www.tcarms.com/22benchmark/index.php

[ QUOTE ]
At the risk of being thrown off the forum, fire a .22 Hornet if you have the chance. Most people think they're too slow, but I'm a fan. (Before flaming, if you check out my post above, you'll see that I was trying to gently lead Wacki to a .45/70.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I will check out the Hornet. I know what a .45 is but google didn't show anything when I searched for ".45/70". What is that?

There is no need to ease me into anything. I like opinions quick and dirty. To be anything but forward with me is a waste of time. Right now there are 4 factors that matter to me. They are:

1) comfort of the rifle (large rifles feel good in my arms.)
2) Accuracy (most important)
3) Reliability and dependibility
4) ~$500 for the basic rifle

Martin
12-10-2004, 06:14 AM
Try get a Steyr SSG in .308

Very nice and in a Nato cal.

Phat Mack
12-10-2004, 07:06 AM
".45/70". What is that?

It's an archaic blackpowder round from late 1800's. It's still being maunfactured with modern propellants. .45 is the caliber; the "70" stands for the grains of black powder used in the original load. Other rounds still around with the same nomenclature are .40-40 and .30-30.

I'm not suggesting you get one. It's still used, rarely, by silhouette shooters, big game hunters and people hunting in heavy brush. It's fun to shoot, making a big satisfying boom, and might be of interest to an iron-sight shooter. Ammo is extremely expensive.

Thompson/Center guns seemed to have a nice feel to them and they are in my price range (~$500) as well. I've been told they have thumb size groupings at 50 yards. Right now I like Silver lynx and 22 classic benchmark a lot.

I've shot a Thomson Center muzzle loader and was impressed by it. If you're still looking at .22's, that's the cartridge I like-for the reasons zee gave.

jakethebake
12-10-2004, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Two suggestion (in no particular order): Winchester 70 or Remington 700. Both of these rifles have long proven track records and are available in a wide range of calibers and configurations.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. You can get some silly high-tech sniper rifle or go with old faithful. I can't see why I';d ever need anything other than my Model 70 in 30-06. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Phat Mack
12-10-2004, 05:03 PM
Model 70 in 30-06.

I think this is the epitome of the life-time gun. You could give one to a 14-year old, and he'd be happy with it for the next 80 years. The only two "real" centerfire rifles I've owned since 1970 are a Model 70 in 30-06 and a Model 57 in .22 Hornet.

jakethebake
12-10-2004, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Model 70 in 30-06.

I think this is the epitome of the life-time gun. You could give one to a 14-year old, and he'd be happy with it for the next 80 years. The only two "real" centerfire rifles I've owned since 1970 are a Model 70 in 30-06 and a Model 57 in .22 Hornet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well put. Mine was my grandpa's before it was mine. I just noticed your Location. Secede!

wacki
12-11-2004, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. You can get some silly high-tech sniper rifle or go with old faithful. I can't see why I';d ever need anything other than my Model 70 in 30-06. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Those look like nice guns, and maybe I'll get one day. But this is my first rifle and I'm not going to drop $1,500+ on my first rifle. My limit is around $500 for my first rifle.