PDA

View Full Version : Pizza with fruit or fish

woodguy
12-04-2004, 09:25 PM
I do not believe that pizza should have fruit as a topping as hot fruit essentially tastes like hot water.

Fish and hot cheese is also a horrible combination.

How do you feel?

The Dude
12-04-2004, 09:29 PM
I can't think of any fruit besides pineapple or tomato that I would want on pizza. But then again if I force myself to forget that I've had pineapple on pizza before, it doesn't really sound appealing. So what do I know?

Disagree and disagree.

woodguy
12-04-2004, 09:34 PM
It was a debat about pineapple on pizza that prompted the poll.
Tastes like nothing and waters down the pizza (can a solid food be watered down?)

Also, one of the best pizza joints where I live is a called the Funky Pickle, and they put damn near anything on a pie.

Best topping I had at the Funky Pickle that I wouldn't have thought of myself......Eggplant....smooth smokey taste really complimented the rest of the pie.

Regards,
Woodguy

The Dude
12-04-2004, 09:36 PM
I figured as much. Even people who know tomato is a fruit don't tend to think of it as fruit. (I'm told I'm wierd for thinking of it as such.)

Chah Ngo
12-04-2004, 09:36 PM
Try pizza with saurkraut.

YourFoxyGrandma
12-04-2004, 09:39 PM
Thinking about that makes me want to not think about that anymore.

BottlesOf
12-04-2004, 09:44 PM
I have had pizza at an Italian restaurant with lobster on it. However, I voted no for both categories.

Ulysses
12-04-2004, 09:55 PM
I would have added a third question to the poll - chicken.

turnipmonster
12-04-2004, 10:12 PM
eggplant is great, at carmine's in brooklyn they have a great eggplant slice which has nothing but crushed tomato, fresh mozzarellla, a little ricotta and thin breaded slices of eggplant. it's awesome..

I voted no for fruit and fish on pizza.
--turnipmonster

EliteNinja
12-04-2004, 10:32 PM
I'd love a sashimi pizza or a smoked salmon pizza.
I like Hawaiian Pizza, but can't think of what other fruit could go a pizza, durian perhaps?

Tomato is a vegetable.

Rushmore
12-05-2004, 12:10 AM
Tomato is a fruit.

The only other fruit other than pineapple that might work on a pizza would be green grapes, of all things. I've never tried it, but they're great in curries and the such.

And seeing as an anchovie is a fish, I suppose I'd have to say that fish is ok, but only anchovies.

I HATE it when someone gets cute and puts tuna or shrimp or clams on a pizza. Blecchh. Seafood and cheese...BAD.

Cept for the anchovies. Yum.

I might have to try that grape thing, now that I've mentioned it. Grapes and...uhhh....Vienna sausages.

Ok. Forget the grapes.

And the sausages, while you're at it. /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

ThaSaltCracka
12-05-2004, 04:21 AM
fruit: Yes, but only pineapple combined with Canadian Bacon.
Fish:no, not at all.

bonanz
12-05-2004, 04:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would have added a third question to the poll - chicken.

[/ QUOTE ]

you disagree with chicken as a pizza topping?

i thought this was an interesting poll. i like hawaiian pizza. and i also really love pizza with tomatoes and chicken together. Donatos has this excellent pizza called "the mariachi" or something with tomatoes chicken and jalepenos and some other crap.

I've never had fish on a pizza, but i wouldn't be opposed to trying something.

stabn
12-05-2004, 04:55 AM
I like tomatos on pizza if they put them on after it cooks. If they cook them with the tamato on i'm not really a fan though. I also like Pinapple on them, but really no other fruits.

As far as chiken goes..BBQ chicken pizzas are great, and i definitely didn't expect them to be before i tried them.

sfer
12-06-2004, 12:30 AM
Anchovies good. Fresh clams on pizza from Lombardi's, very good. Fruit is an abomination on pizza.

Cerril
12-06-2004, 12:40 AM
Not a big fan of either. I like my pizzas savory, not sweet (and am not considering tomato a fruit topping even on something like pizza margherita or when dried). I don't like (cooked) fish off my pizzas, I sure don't want them on there. And I would not, as another poster suggests, want to try combining sashimi and pizza.

Ray Zee
12-06-2004, 01:07 AM
anything watery ruins a pizza and makes it soggy. acceptable toppings if you must ruin a pizza with toppings are-anchovies(traditional), peperoni, sausage. put your salad on the side. but to each is own as we all know, we all like different things.

Blarg
12-06-2004, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I HATE it when someone gets cute and puts tuna or shrimp or clams on a pizza.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never thought about it before, but some nice garlicky clams actually sounds like it would work great. And I'm not even a big fan of clams. But they're chewy and can be made very flavorful. I think it would work!

The sashimi idea struck me as really weird, because if you cooked them with the pizza, then it would just be cooked fish, not sashimi, so you'd have to add sashimi on top after the cooking was already done.

That sounds like a gross combo, but it started to sound less gross to me when I considered sashimi the way I like it -- dripping with lots of soy and with enough wasabi to almost make you cry. If you got it to the pizza after having soaked it thoroughly in soy and wasabi so it wouldn't make the pizza all gooey, then you'd have a very spicy topping. The more I think about it the less horrible it sounds, but it would still take guts to try it. I'd try it, though.

Oh, I'll second the guy who talked about eggplant -- cooked eggplant can be some great stuff. I'd try that.

edtost
12-06-2004, 03:11 AM
mmmmmm. Lombardi's.