PDA

View Full Version : "Internet Texas Hold'em" by Matthew Higler

emonrad87
12-04-2004, 06:05 PM
I just received the book, "Internet Texas Hold'em" by Matthew Higler as the bonus from PokerNOW. Is it worth reading? I've read Winning Low Limit Hold'em by Lee Jones, and built on that from talking in the forums. I don't want to waste my time reading it if it's not gonna help me.

Patriarch
12-04-2004, 06:12 PM
My housemate has it. Most of it is pretty basic but there are some interesting bits where he goes into depth on strange areas, such as playing in the blinds.
Not an essential read though.

jrobb83
12-04-2004, 06:15 PM
It's a very decent book, nothing mind-blowing, but worth a read. He gets into the specifics of online play not addressed by the other authors, which I found helpful. Mason's review is here (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=450677&page=&view=&sb =5&o=&vc=1).

From your post, it sounds like you haven't read Small Stakes Hold'em, which around these parts is blasphemy.

Also, this ought to go in the Books/Software forum.

A_C_Slater
12-04-2004, 06:33 PM
Hilger got 33rd in this year's WSOP. It certainly couldn't hurt to read his book.

I got it and it's full of great online hand examples.

emonrad87
12-04-2004, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's a very decent book, nothing mind-blowing, but worth a read. He gets into the specifics of online play not addressed by the other authors, which I found helpful. Mason's review is here (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=450677&page=&view=&sb =5&o=&vc=1).

From your post, it sounds like you haven't read Small Stakes Hold'em, which around these parts is blasphemy.

Also, this ought to go in the Books/Software forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have not read SSH - I was hoping to get it from PokerNOW's bonus. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Forgot about the Books/software forum. Will post there.

Thanks. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MicroBob
12-04-2004, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hilger got 33rd in this year's WSOP. It certainly couldn't hurt to read his book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Placing in a NL HE tourney does not qualify one to write a book on Limit Ring-game hold-em.

Phil Hellmuth won the freaking event....and his book, particularly his advice on limit hold-em...is just awful.

McEvoy and Cloutier's book on NL and PL championship HE isn't that great either.

Scott Fischman won back to back WSOP events and if he wrote a book I wouldn't pay 2-cents for it (unless I could get more back by recycling it).

FWIW - I also got the Hilger book from PokerNow (a few weeks ago).
I wasn't overly impressed....I thought some of the play in his hand-examples was incorrect and contrary to what Ed Miller would advise.

If all you have read is Lee Jones though then I would recommend reading Hilger.
I think his book is better than Jones and a bit more advanced.
The PF charts in Hilger's book are interesting (again though, generally good, with some less than spectacular advice in there).

But you should DEFINITELY get Ed Miller's SSHE and read that.
This is the TRUE poker education and blows away the advice in Jones or Hilger.
Again, their books aren't Hellmuth-terrible. And, in general, I recommend them for those who haven't played much poker or might have difficulties thinking deeply about their poker.

But SSHE is easily the book you should be studying over and over.
Another topic that I thought about starting up again.
I've been re-reading HEFAP for the first time since reading SSHE....and HEFAP is making MUCH MORE SENSE to me now.

I thought I pretty much 'got it' before.....but it's really been well-worth checking out again.
Combining the language and ideas (many of which are similar of course) from SSHE and HEFAP is giving me an even better understanding I think.

A_C_Slater
12-04-2004, 07:28 PM
I only said it couldn't hurt to read it. I didn't say it was the greatest book ever. The hand examples are very good.
I do agree that SSHE is the greatest hold em book ever written. Hilger's doesn't come close to it.

jacks321
12-04-2004, 08:22 PM
Personally I really liked it. I'm fairly new, so I'm not sure how much it can teach you if you already have a good foundation. But from studying it I was able to turn from a terrible player who lost all my money everytime I played to a decent one. So, I may not have become an expert player from reading it, but at least one who wasn't spewing chips.

Johnny69
12-04-2004, 10:35 PM
His book is solid.
I don't feel the advice given would do anything but improve a players game. What troubles me is a poker site giving a bunch of fish this book. It won't turn the fish into instant experts but it will improve their game 10 fold.
Kinda like giving a clueless blackjack player a basic strat chart.

larrondo
12-05-2004, 02:51 AM
It's a very good book. After reading it, search the book forums to get a further reading list. In general, the recommended further reading is:

Theory Of Poker
Small Stakes Hold Em
Hold Em For Advanced Players
Pot And No Limit Hold Em

Good luck.

geormiet
12-05-2004, 04:01 AM
I think it's the ideal book for a beginning player. Not to say that more advanced players wouldn't get anything out of it either.

jacks321
12-05-2004, 02:34 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I originally found out about the book from searching for ways to improve my game. I don't think there should be roadblocks towards improving your game if you're new. It takes a fair amount of commitment just to start down that road and a lot of people just have no desire to.