PDA

View Full Version : When I was a Puppy

ChristinaB
12-04-2004, 06:04 PM
this is a must read... author unknown

When I was a Puppy

When I was a puppy I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend. Whenever I was "bad," you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How could you?" - but then you'd relent and roll me over for a bellyrub.

My housetraining took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed, listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect.

We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs," you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love.

She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" - still I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy. Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a "prisoner of love."

As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them, especially their touch - because your touch was now so infrequent - and I would have defended them with my life if need be.

I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams. Together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway. There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being your dog to "just a dog," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf.

Now you have a new career opportunity in another city and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family.

I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog or cat, even one with "papers."

You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my dog!" And I worried for him and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life. You gave me a goodbye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too.

After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked "How could you?"

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago. At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you - that you had changed your mind - that this was all a bad dream...or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me. When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited.

I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet room. She placed me on the table, rubbed my ears and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days.

As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood.

She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago. She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?"

Perhaps because she understood my dogspeak, she said "I'm so sorry." She hugged me and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself - a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place. With my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my "How could you?" was not meant for her. It was you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of. I will think of you and wait for you forever.

tolbiny
12-04-2004, 06:09 PM
"I was fascinated by their pinkness"

Dogs are colorblind.

The Dude
12-04-2004, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Dogs are colorblind.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting observation, given the tone of the essay.

ChristinaB
12-04-2004, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Dogs are colorblind.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may have slipped by you, but I don't think an actual dog wrote this essay. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

tolbiny
12-04-2004, 06:21 PM
"This may have slipped by you, but I don't think an actual dog wrote this essay"

REally? wow that's interesting.
The Dude seemed to pick up on what i was saying.

benfranklin
12-04-2004, 07:02 PM
I couldn't read it all. That was the most mawkish, sickeningly sweet piece of dreck I have seen in recent memory. That thing should carry a health warning. You could get a lethal sugar-rush from reading that. Talk about junk food.

Blarg
12-04-2004, 07:10 PM
I think Ann Landers or Dear Abby published this in a much shorter version a very long time ago. It was much better shorter. Still, a nice idea for a piece, with some good bits in it. The way a lot of people treat their pets is definitely depraved.

YourFoxyGrandma
12-04-2004, 07:14 PM
It was sad for me until I remembered that the thought processes of dogs vary slightly from those of humans. Dogs are pretty sweet, but they're not the selfless heroes that the story makes them to be. I find the author's tone kindof sickening.

Lazymeatball
12-04-2004, 07:36 PM
define "must read"

and you really think that lady cries over every dog she puts to sleep. She must euthanise one every week.

Blarg
12-04-2004, 07:49 PM
A heck of a lot more than that. Some of these places go through dogs like a Tyson factory goes through chickens.

BusterStacks
12-04-2004, 08:28 PM
why post this crap.

PsYcHo-ScHnAuZeR
12-04-2004, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why post this crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Our underage poster can't handle the thought of death?

Death is all around us, everywhere we go.

BusterStacks
12-04-2004, 08:42 PM
I'm 23 you dumb [censored], it's not that I can't handle it, its that it personifies an animal that does not have rational thought, in an attempt to provoke emotion. Add to that, it's not even well-written. Crap.

PsYcHo-ScHnAuZeR
12-04-2004, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it personifies an animal that does not have rational thought

[/ QUOTE ]

Dogs have rational thoughts.

I'm hungry
there is steak on the table
I gonna take that steak when no one is looking

that seems pretty rational to me.

YourFoxyGrandma
12-04-2004, 09:31 PM
I think Buster was trying to point out that dogs don't have the same set of complex emotional responses (as displayed by the dog in the posted story) that we humans do.

Also, your avatar is a dog in some sort of military outfit.

ChristinaB
12-05-2004, 02:42 PM
Shelter: Woman brought in frozen dog, asked for new one (http://www.kobtv.com/index.cfm?viewer=storyviewer&id=15448&cat=NMTOPSTO RIES)

The Santa Fe Animal Shelter says a woman brought her dog into the shelter, frozen solid, and asked for a new one.

The shelter’s executive director, Kate Rindy, said the woman and her family left town for a few days, and left the dog out in the cold to freeze to death.

Rindy said far too many pet owners say the frigid temperatures can and do kill pets. In most cases, incidents go unreported.

In this case, Rindy said, the woman put the one-year-old terrier mix’s frozen body on the counter at the shelter, and asked to look for a new dog. Workers did not allow her to adopt another dog.

Rindy said the best thing to do for pets in this cold weather is simple. “Bring them in, bring them in, bring them in,” she said. “It’s not that much different than you or I out there in our bare skin. The difference between us and them is we can put on layers of coats.”

The woman who brought the frozen dog in could face criminal charges of cruelty and neglect. The case has been turned over to the Santa Fe Animal Control unit.

YourFoxyGrandma
12-05-2004, 02:49 PM
That's pretty effed up. Good to know they wouldn't let her have another one.

Blarg
12-05-2004, 07:00 PM
? I didn't write it or post it.

I don't agree that dogs can't have rational thought or emotions. This piece was meant as an emotional evocation anyway, and dogs are quite emotional. It's not uncommon, just like with people who are married, than when one of two dogs that has been raised together dies, the other dies shortly after, even though healthy. This has happened to a few friends of mine, and I've heard of it happening with others too. It would sound crazy that a dog could die of a broken heart, but think about how crazy it sounds that a person would. Very crazy, right? But, it happens.

Mostly the people I see say animals have no feelings or thought are of two types, and the tendency to think that way about animals is even more pronounced when the two types coincide in the same person.

First, Christians who want to insist that the entire planet was designed by God exclusively for the use of people, with that as the entire reason for existence of everything else on it, which has about the same intelligence or spirit, or simple utility, as a brick or a nail.

Second, people who grew up without animals, which often suggests a parent with a stated or unstated phobia about animals or dislike for them.

These outlooks lead to objectifying animals.

Personally, I think they lead to objectifying people, too. Raising animals can teach kids -- and adults -- a lot. Kids are born selfish, and raising and dealing with an animal can do a lot to socialize children and teach them respect for things and an ability to empathize with and pay attention to others. Not infrequently at all, adults have a woeful deficit of the same qualities.

I trust the maturity and wisdom of people who don't like animals, or think of them as only "things" that don't feel and are just mindless machines made of flesh and ruled by simple instinct, much less. I might trust their basic intelligence, but there's something missing from them, and more likely something they fear in themselves and try hard to suppress. The objectivizing of others and holding of one's social group, religious denomination, racial group, or simply one's species or just oneself as somehow apart and superior, as for some reason a special case, reflects a dislike of the world and anger toward it, and a desire to treat others in a lesser way. I would trust people who say some creatures don't have thoughts or feelings far, far less to babysit a child, or to raise one, and lower the bar on my expectations for how good a friend they might be. Objectivizing other things and being without compassion toward them aren't markers of a very evolved soul, in my book.

The funny thing is, when animals know it. I had a friend who hated animals. He thought that was their own fault, because of their natural inherent worthlessness and nastiness. He offered to kill my cats for me a few times, in all seriousness -- as a favor. He just thought it was an option I should consider. Hey thanks! I only had two and cats pretty much take care of themselves; it's not like they were running my life. Animals can smell these guys coming. They'll clear out of a room sometimes when these guys are around, or seem inexplicably(to people) cold, scared, or stand-offish around these people. These are the guys who lay their coats on a bed in a house and pick them up later to find the cat has pissed on them, though not on any others. Coincidence?

My friends and I had a huge laugh at the expense of this one animal-hating friend who came over to my place once. He was sitting on the couch, and my cat walked up to him. His legs were crossed, and we couldn't really see what was happening. The cat seemed to be looking around at all of us, smiling, if a cat can really smile. As we were all yapping away, my friend looked down at his lap, looked up, looked over at me, and looked down at his lap again, stunned. My cat didn't even know him, but knew enough. He had walked right up to him, faced backward, and peed all over him. My friend couldn't believe it even as it was happening. The rest of us almost died laughing. We had to credit the cat, too. The cat knew, right away. He had never done that to anyone before, and he never did it again. I guess it seemed like the thing to do at the time -- and not a one of us could really disagree. I'm not sure that even the guy who got peed on thought it was all that far out of line.