PDA

View Full Version : When all else fails...change your game

04-09-2002, 06:10 PM
Those of you who follow my posts, know that I have been running bad for a long time in my favorite tourney, NL Holdem. Tho still a profitable winning player in live games, it has been a long while since I broke into the money in any NL event...12 concecutive events to be exact. And prior to that, even with a cash rate of 36% I had posted only 1 win in 2001 after posting 7 wins in 2000.

Well, Sunday night I went to Foxwoods and played a $340 NL and $340 Limit Holdem single table satelite, trying to win lammers for the only event I will be playing in the NEPC, the $340 NL event.

I did nothing in either of those, but went back last night, somewhat dejected. I was told that the only satelites running were $340 single table sats for Omaha H/L. I thought for a long while and decided to try it. I know the game well but play it infrequently. I played patiently waiting for a good "scoop", chopping a few here and there.

Then I picked up, on the button, Ks10c3c2s, marginal but palyable in the right circumstances. With 4 players already in and the blinds to act, I called. Levels don't really matter but I think it was $50-$100 with blinds of $25 & $50.

The flop came AsQs8s giving me the nut high and the nut low draw. First person bet, call, call I raised and all called, The turn was 4s. Giving me Nut, Nut. Same action, I raised. turn was another spade. I bet out when all checked, got 2 callers and scooped a huge pot.

From there with such a huge lead, I played flawlessly. Playing marginal hands cheap, raising single limpers, raising uncontested pots. To make a long story short...I knocked out 7 of the 9 players and steamrolled over the table in 35 minutes. When it got to headsup, the guy pleaded for a deal, I refused, and with T1000, he folded the first 2 hands to me his 200 SB and his 400 BB when I raised. He was completely intimidated and left himself with only 400 which I picked up in 2 hands.

I quickly got into a $340 single table NL sat that finally went and played a wonderfully patient game, made good laydowns, played an utterly flawless game, avoided any bad beats, built another big stack and began putting huge preasure on everyone when I had position. I won that in short time and immediately sold the lammers to one of the other players in the game.

So now I'm free rolling in my 1 big event, with a tidy profit to boot and feel great about my game.

I attribute all this to playing in the Omaha Sat. It forced me to slow down, use my brain, think throught tough decisions and play the "Big Stack", something I hadn't done since my last win at a final table.

Sometimes you gotta just re-group and re-teach yourself valuable lessons. And changing games, even to one that may not be your best, forces you to think harder and play better.

Wish me luck in Wed's NL event, I think I have the game to win it, and now the patience to try.

Don't be surprised to see me on the money list!

Keep Playing Hard

04-09-2002, 08:27 PM
Glen,

Good luck at the tournament. Omaha 8B is my favorite game.

Good Luck

Mark

04-10-2002, 07:47 AM