PDA

View Full Version : How do you use a Big Stack??

04-09-2002, 02:01 PM
I read all the time about how difficult it is to overcome a big chip lead in no-limit tournaments.

I posted another hand describing a player with a big stack who was calling hands to the turn then going all-in repeatedly forcing tough decisions on small stacks. Is this the correct way to use a big stack?

Can someone describe the correct way to use a chip lead in a tournament??

04-09-2002, 06:15 PM

04-09-2002, 08:36 PM
Knowing how to play a big stack is one of the main skills that separates the very best from all the rest. It is not a formulaic skill that is easy to learn, I don't think... it is part of the art of tournament poker.

I think there are a few key concepts involved with properly play of a big stack, though.

1. Differential chip value in a percentage-payout tournament results in your big-stack chips being worth less than those of your opponents. This means you will be getting better pot odds than your short-stacked opponents; allowing you to play more drawing hands.

2. The ability to force opponents into tournament-ending decisions. Nobody likes to call all-in, so forcing that decision upon your opponents is a powerful advantage.

3. The ability to shut people out. This is perhaps the most important way to use your big stack. If a player raises all-in in front of you, a reraise by you would force other opponents to face a cold-call of two raises and risk going all-in themselves, and there aren't many hands that can stand that type of heat. Since you are a big stack, you don't care very much about whether someone gets knocked out or not... you're just trying to win all the chips. So you should make this reraise often, forcing a heads-up confrontation against a stack that can't hurt you. Even if you are behind, it's not likely to be by very much, and a loss won't cripple you.

How to blow a big stack:

Many people are quite bad at playing with a big stack. The most common error, I would say, is being indiscriminately aggressive. The major mistakes leading to a blown lead usually stem from getting involved with another big stack. There is plenty of money to be won by bullying the puny stacks... leave the other big stacks alone and let them do a little bullying themselves. Just because you have pocket Queens doesn't mean you have reraise the second biggest stack at the table.

I think if you kept these few things in mind you would be doing better than most with a big stack. Of course, getting big stack requires a few skills too.

Craig H.