PDA

View Full Version : A6o in BB

Tommy Angelo
12-04-2004, 10:07 AM
Full $20-40. I was in the big blind with A6o. Nobody raised and we took the flop five-handed with me second. The flop was A-J-2 with two spades and one diamond. Everyone checked.

The turn was queen of diamonds. It went check, check, check, check on around to the last guy. He bet. The small blind folded. I called. The next guy folded and the other guy called. Three players now with me first.

The river was the six of diamonds. I checked, the middle guy checked, the last guy bet, I called, and the middle guy barely called. Bettor showed K-10 for a straight and took it.

Tommy

anduril
12-04-2004, 11:01 AM
sucks to be out of position doesn't it? I'd be curious to know what the overcaller had, knowing your play from the blinds.

Turning Stone Pro
12-04-2004, 11:29 AM
You can't find a bet on the flop for one small bet with five SB in the pot? You dont think everyone will fold to your bet one out of 5 times?

TSP

Al_Capone_Junior
12-04-2004, 12:53 PM
I don't think this was a bad play at all. Often times no one has the ace, as was quite obvious when all checked. Now someone catches a queen, and bets. You call. You pick off their river bet with their queen as well when you check-call the river. You will of course sometimes lose to a straight (or other hand) here, but much of the time you'll pick off a bet from a weaker hand. Therefore by playing this way the play is probably +EV.

Betting the flop and getting raised doesn't give you that much information, given the two-flush on board. You may just wind up paying more for what amounts to little more information. Therefore I don't see that as a significantly viable alternative play.

However, if you check the flop and it gets bet and raised, I think you can safely fold here. You'd either be just slightly ahead or way behind. Also, if the turn gets raised you might save a bet there too.

I think you played it fine.

al

James282
12-04-2004, 03:01 PM
I like this one, too. I woulda probably bet the river though.
-James

vector2
12-04-2004, 03:40 PM
If the guy in last or second to last position had bet the flop, would a check-raise by Tommy to get out stragglers be a terrible mistake even if he was behind at the moment?

target
12-04-2004, 04:34 PM
I'm quite surprised at the lack of a bet on the river. It's pretty common for hands that can't beat a flush to just call, as well as the weaker flushes, so you often don't lose two bets when you're behind, and you can easily get a worse hand to call.

Though I probably check raise at some point, so what do I know?

tolbiny
12-04-2004, 06:07 PM
What about all the times someone has an Ace, bigger kicker? Are you going to check call down? HOw much does this hurt, does it hurt at all?

SinCityGuy
12-04-2004, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can't find a bet on the flop for one small bet with five SB in the pot? You dont think everyone will fold to your bet one out of 5 times?

TSP

[/ QUOTE ]

You did see that the flop was two-toned with two cards in the "zone", didn't you. Betting into this field, out of position with ace-nothing offsuit is not a +EV play.

Turning Stone Pro
12-04-2004, 08:16 PM
I disagree.

TSP

kidpoker22
12-04-2004, 08:42 PM
I don't see the bettor on the turn being able to bet the river without a hand that could beat A little. With two callers on the turn, he can't possibly think Q's are good. I fold on the river if it's bet--depending on my line on the bettor.

KP22

Tommy Angelo
12-04-2004, 08:47 PM
"You can't find a bet on the flop for one small bet with five SB in the pot? You dont think everyone will fold to your bet one out of 5 times?"

But if I were to bet out on the flop from the big blind any time the pot is five-handed, as you suggest, wouldn't I be increasingly more likely to get called or raised?

Tommy

CanKid
12-04-2004, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see the bettor on the turn being able to bet the river without a hand that could beat A little

[/ QUOTE ]

Tommy rivered Aces up.

CanKid
12-04-2004, 09:10 PM
Tommy,

I think this hand is really interesting, and I am curious your play if:

...the river was a black 6

...the river was a brick

...the same river and SB folds to button's bet.

kidpoker22
12-04-2004, 09:21 PM
ohhhhhhhhh, didn't see that. my bad.

Joseph Busti
12-04-2004, 09:39 PM
Why?

Michael J. Sykes
12-05-2004, 09:52 AM
I will not argue with your flop check. Would you have been inclined to check-raise a bet from the last position player?

I will not argue with your turn play...that was an ugly card.

On the river, I would likely bet and fold to a raise (but not against particularly frisky foe). Putting aside metagame considerations, under what conditions (if any) would betting the river be better than checking?

-MJS

anduril
12-05-2004, 11:24 AM
I disagree.

why? its nice to take it down on the flop that small percentage of the time, but what do you do on that turn when you get called in 2-3 places or get raised even? Either you're slightly ahead or horribly behind and drawing to 3 outs or less. I don't undertand how betting into this flop is a good idea.

SA125
12-05-2004, 12:23 PM
Tommy -

Do you fold the flop for 1 bet or a bet and call back to you? I think you'd call.

Do you fold to a bet if a spade hits the turn after getting checked around? I think you'd call.

A spade draw wouldn't have folded to your flop bet, but do you think the gut shot would have folded with an A and fl draw out there? I have no idea but guess he might have.

If you had decided to call it down if it's just a bet or a bet and call back to you, would betting out and possibly getting raised in an attempt to get h/u with you be that bad?

I can see the check on that flop, but also see why betting it wins it for you too.

Steve A.

Mikey
12-05-2004, 03:29 PM
tommy you can't make posts like this anymore...
I mean.... you have to post more on feel and intuition.... if you can describe that on paper moreso than the cards that would bring your posts out so much more...

Forget the cards... you are beyond the cards....

HughJassell
12-06-2004, 05:25 PM
hey does "two toned" mean 2 suits? and does the "zone" mean Ace thru Ten? did you make up these terms? thanks.

QuikSand
12-06-2004, 05:35 PM
Some poker authors refer to the cards from 9 to A as "the playing zone" -- and I believe that's the reference SCG is making above.

obi---one
12-06-2004, 05:38 PM
I agree that people go to far with the raise and fold aspects of poker. There is a time and place for riasing, falling, and calling. But, I think in these instances when you have the position to knock out the rest of the field, a better long term play is...

check-raising the turn, to knock out players drawing on you. I think that is a much more profitable long term play. If you get three-bet, the rest is player dependent like most poker. But, I think it is more important to protect your hand in those spots, rather than going for cheap showdowns.