PDA

View Full Version : Context

04-08-2002, 09:22 AM
I know I've mentioned this before but ... in two threads below posters are quoting comments out of books and using them to justify their play. In both cases I feel the situation at hand is completely different from the situation the author was referencing, as follows :

1) The AK post below where a short-stacked player wants to call the pre-flop raise and then check-fold the flop when he misses, my full response can be found in the post, lots of comments in here about "Walking back to Houston" and "Chris Ferguson says ...", I really don't believe any of this applies in a short stack situation.

2) The post where the original poster has AA in the big blind at the start of a Pokerstars tournament, everyone folds to the SB who raises 60. Whiskeytown I think (correct me if I'm wrong) advised going all-in (although he qualified it later), referring to book advice about limp-reraising with Aces to take down what's in the pot. This kind of advice in context is referring to big tournaments against good players, when there may well be a decent amount in the pot with the first raise. Good players are not going to call you on the flop with second pair or a gutshot draw, and they're often going to tread carefully even with top pair, that's why if you get any action on the flop holding AA you might well be in trouble. On Pokerstars you are going to get called with all sorts on the flop, and raised by a lot of losing hands, and that's why the advice doesn't apply in the same way.

I don't mean to be harsh on people but you simply MUST think harder before applying advice you have read in a book, on this forum, from me, anywhere. What's the reasoning behind the advice ? Does that still apply in my particular situation ? If you don't do this, the best advice given with the best intentions won't help and it may even be counterproductive.

Andy.

04-08-2002, 07:53 PM
Andy,

You are exactly on the money here. The problem is people read theses books from the tournament stars without thinking for themselves and blindly following someones advice. This is why I think T.J. Cloutier's book is poor. The best advice TJ has in his book is observing your opponents. The hand examples in the back of the book are good for the situations. Because, in these examples he is describing exact situations.

But, I can't take a book seriously, when the guy does not explain the exact situations. Most of the content in his book sounds like after hours bar talk. I'm referring to the "Walking back to Houston." Basically, this refers to ring game strategy. You don't want to pay someone off with your whole bankroll. It also applies to the beginning of tournaments where everyone has a big stack still, unless it's an unlimited rebuy tournament.

Good Luck

Mark