PDA

View Full Version : New to SNG's

Poker Junkie
12-04-2004, 04:44 AM
Hello all, I have a question that I'm sure is pretty basic but would like some input on. First of all I have been playing seriously (are freerolls serious?) for about 6 months and have read several books (TAP, Low Limit and some others before I found this site)Unfortunately I shouldn't have wasted my money on some of the others. I recently won $20.00 in a MTT (freeroll) and want to try and build up my bank roll. I have been playing $1+.20 SNG's and $2+.20 SNG's not enough for any type of data analysis.

Are these very low buy-in SNG's to "loose" to use some of the outstanding things I have read on playing the 10+1 SNG's by Aleo Magnus and others? Is there another link for a separate strategy for these smaller SNG's?

Thanks,

Poker Junkie

jaydoggie
12-04-2004, 08:05 AM
you'd be surprised but im sure theres not a whole lot of difference. just be patient, only play big hands early, you might meet a little more variance as people are maybe going to be a little more inclined to play allin, but some of the people in the 10$ games are as wreckless as freerollers.

just some thoughts, i never played these games.

Poker Junkie
12-04-2004, 10:48 PM
Jay,

Thanks for the info. I have read Aleo's article on playing a fomulatic approach to the 10+1 SNG's and was just wondering if it still applies to ones even lower.

poker junkie

Sidekick
12-04-2004, 11:30 PM
It should apply to even lower buyins than the $10+$1 SnG's as well. The approach is designed to protect your chips from goofball players (or that has always been my interpretation of it) and give you a good shot at powerful hands when you do enter a pot.

Players with more experience and who have learned to read their opponents well can deviate frequently from such standard play, but when you are new to SnG's it is a good basis for any of the low limit buy ins.

The one thing it really doesn't help a great deal with is when you get into the money and start playing really short handed (either 3 way or HU). I read the HU forums to help my short handed game, and that helped some. Truthfully though, experience playing 3 way and HU was the main thing that improved my short handed play.

For me a short handed game (3 players or HU) almost seems like a different game. Others may not think so, but for me it was a huge adjustment. My first dozen or so SnG's that I got into the money I got stomped when it got into the money. It just took me (and judging from other posts I've seen other people as well) a while to get used to playing with 3 or less.

I hope this verbose response answered your question. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Poker Junkie
12-06-2004, 09:27 AM
Sidekick,

Thanks for the reply to my post. I have been using the suggested formulatic approach and it has been a great aid to my SNG (low buy-in) experience. Your comments on the 3 player to HU is exactly where I am at now. I think that I may be still a little tight during these times, passing up to many opportunities to "steal" or pushing when short stacked (less than 10XBB)to much. I haven't checked out the short handed HU board yet but will have to do so, any links to discussions from that board about these situations you or anyone else could suggest would be appreciated.

Thanks,

poker junkie