PDA

View Full Version : No-Limit Hold'em Satellite Hand

04-07-2002, 10:30 PM
I went to Rockford to play two $125 No-Limit Hold'em satellites. Quite a few of the players knew each other. Anyway, this hand came up.

There are five players left. The two largest stacks are on both my left and right making it difficult to manouver, but I don't think I have a chance anyway at this point, but I think this hand will interest you. Furthermore, all of the guys are in there 50s or 60s. Except for me and one other short stack.

The blinds are $200 and $400. There are $40,000 of chips in play. I have the big blind. After posting I have $1,800 left. The small blind has $18,000, the button has $1,900, next to the button $3,000, and UTG has approximately $14,000 (note that I'm more aware of the small stacks exact counts).

UTG folds, next player folds, the button calls leaving him with only $1,500 left. The small blind with the large stack folds. The guy on the button says to the small blind player, "I wanted to play a hand against you, not him (refering to me). The small blind says, "I think you have a hand this time (hehehe)." Well, I look at my cards, Ts-3d, not a pretty site. I think for a few seconds and check the option to raise. The guy on the button appears to be a pretty solid player and has been taking some beats, just like me. He's picked off steal attempts and bluffs. So, he knows the game well just not running good. When, both of these players have the blinds together, they do not raise each other preflop. They'll both see the flop before betting.

The flop comes down 9c-Tc-4d. All of a sudden my opponent grabs for his chips like he couldn't wait for his turn to bet the pot. Note that, this angle is discussed in John Fox's book "Quit Work, Play Poker, and Sleep Till Noon." I thought about it for a few seconds and...

Well what would you do and why? Furthermore, consider the stack sizes if you decide to bet. You have to bet at least $400.

No short answers please. Give your reasons for betting or checking. If you do bet, how much? The button has $1,500 and I have $1,800.

Good Luck

Mark

04-08-2002, 01:24 PM
His inane remark about wanting to play a hand against the little blind and not you is b.s., because if that was the case(not playing against you), he would have folded or raised. On the flop he immediately reaches for his chips, which means he wants you to check to him so he can also check and get a free card. Go all-in and watch him fold! You must make a move at the pot right now, even if he calls, I'll bet your ahead. So what happened?

04-08-2002, 01:59 PM
I would go all in

04-08-2002, 03:11 PM
I would go all-in, for several reasons.

First, you have top pair, which is as good as can be hoped for in these desperate straits. You may well get an overcards call from him, because he thinks you are trying to steal off a ragged flop.

Next, a check means you really think he has a better hand, so you will have to fold if he bets, which, if he is a competent player as you suggest, he will do 100% of the time after you check this ragged flop.

If you check/fold you will have T1800 left and will now be the shortest stack, to T2500 and T3000. It is time for a commitment.

04-11-2002, 09:55 PM
I was hoping for more responses. But, here we go.

When the button originally limped in with not that many chips left, my initial reaction was that he had a big pair. If you think about, why would a good player risk getting raised, when he does not have that many chips left. Anyway, after he had made that move for his chips, my opinion changed. I though now it was possible that he could have had AK, so I moved in.

He showed me his pocket Kings! So, he figured out that I was smart enough to get fooled by this manouver, since this was the first time I played with him. Next, time I'll know better. If you think about his play it makes perfect sense. He limped in hoping that the big stack in the small blind could raise to knock me out. Well, when that didn't happen, I think he was afraid that I would fold, so he did whatever he could to get me to bet and it worked.

Good Luck

Mark