PDA

View Full Version : Curing a cold the Irish way.....

wacki
12-04-2004, 01:59 AM
Anyone ever done it before? I think I'm going to do it tonight.

Ingredients:
1 pint of whiskey.
1 giant pile of blankets

Directions:
Drink the whole pint of whiskey.
Cover in blankets from head to toe.
Cook until sunrise.

Edge34
12-04-2004, 03:23 AM
Never done it, but I expect a trip report /images/graemlins/cool.gif

wacki
12-04-2004, 03:25 AM
Will do, this is my last post of the night.

Goodnight! Now it's time to sweat my ass off.

nothumb
12-04-2004, 03:51 AM
I love good whiskey, but I have found that tequila cures what ails me even better.

I don't get sick enough to need things like this. Knock on wood.

NT

plaster8
12-04-2004, 06:25 AM
Good luck. In college I did something similar when I had a wicked cold, but it involved an entire fifth of vodka and, later, vomit-stained blankets.

However, I DID feel like a million bucks the next day (seriously).

Alobar
12-04-2004, 07:45 AM
It's 50/50 in my experience. Sometimes I wake up the next day and feel like a million bucks, sometimes I wake up the next day and feel even worse that I did before.

ThaSaltCracka
12-04-2004, 09:45 AM
my parents had a friend in Alaska who's cure for a cold was to sit in a hot tub, drink a six pack of beer, and eat a jar of jalepeno peppers.

nicky g
12-04-2004, 10:31 AM
There's apparently an Italian cure that involves eating a peeled bulb of raw garlic and drinking a bottle of red wine. In both cases I'd have thought the cure would be more harmful than the illness.I can't imagine large amounts of alcohol really help the immune system. In fact several of my major hangovers have transformed into colds/flus.

wacki
12-04-2004, 10:48 AM
With major hangovers you probably drank enough alcohol to temporarily really harm your system. The Italian cure doesn't seem to be based in any kind of logic.

With the Irish cure you drink just enough alcohol to act as a sedative and then induce an artificial fever with the large quanities of blankets. The alcohol is just to allow you to sleep in the intense heat. It makes a lot of sense if you think about it.

My roommate is very sick right now, and last night I started to feel like crap. I feel much better right now, and he looks like crap. I am happy I did it. I've only slept for 4/5 hours so I might do it again for another 3/4 just to finish off any remaining bugs.

The heat actually felt pretty good when I was drunk. The only thing I didn't like about the technique was breathing in stale air. Next time I'm just going to put on a stocking cap. That way I don't loose too much heat, but I still get fresh air.