PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Pair on a Paired Board

gaming_mouse
12-04-2004, 12:15 AM
Assume a 2/4 game against typical, fairly passive players.

Hero raises BB with TT, two limpers call.

Flop: JJ4

Limper 1 checks, Limper 2 bets, Hero ??

I raised here, intending to force out the first limper, who may have held overcards. Also, if the bettor was playing overcards, this might slow him down and get him to fold the turn. Is this sound strategy? If not, what would be?

TIA,
gm

gaming_mouse
12-04-2004, 03:13 AM
bump. this one was difficult for me. any thoughts are appreciated.

gm

AngryCola
12-04-2004, 03:19 AM
Hi gm,

I think you played it perfectly. That may be why you did not get any previous replies. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

AngryCola
12-04-2004, 03:24 AM
I just want to add this:

I really don't think folding is the right play, and calling is probably worse than folding.

Raising in that spot is the correct play.

BSXX
12-04-2004, 03:49 AM
Perfectly sound strategy. You may have to re-group if a passive player makes it 3 bets.

How did the hand play out?

pfkaok
12-04-2004, 05:54 AM
Yeah, in a 2/4 game I would highly doubt that the guy bets out here with trips. Most likely he has a 4, or a low PP, in which case raising to get heads up with him is ideal...however, if he calls, then wakes up and Checkraises you on the turn then you're probably in trouble.

jomatty
12-04-2004, 06:10 AM
when there is a pair on the board and i have a reasonably high pair, i think against an aggressive tricky opponent it is a good time to induce a bluff. if you check bewhind him on turn with the intention of calling any river bet you get off the hand cheaply if you are beat and may make an extra bet if you are ahead. obviously the higher the pair and the more aggressive and likely to bluff the river the better the oppportunity for making this play. not something for every time but something to think about.
matty