PDA

View Full Version : Turn action on a flopped set (heads-up)

uw_madtown
12-03-2004, 10:18 PM
Villian is LAP after about 60 hands.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Does anyone raise pre-flop, since he's a loose player?

Flop: (4.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Check-call, since it's heads up. I want to extract money on the turn. If he has two spades and makes a flush on the turn, so be it.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds.

I lead out instead of check-raising. At 2/4 and 3/6, I've seen a lot more turn check-raising, and a lot more people FOLDING to turn check-raises. I felt like leading this turn would definitely still get me one bet from him, and would likley get a raise out of him. I didn't expect him to raise and then fold to my reraise though. Should I have called his raise and then tried to check-raise him on the river?

The T.A.
12-03-2004, 10:28 PM
Wow, villain must be a total loon to raise on fourth street and fold after you've three-betted.

The villain is loose, so I'm assuming he's shown down incredibly strong or weak hands already? If so, I'd let him lead the betting preflop.

I'm worried about your play on the flop (because of the flush draw, as you mentioned), but it seems like you have a good read on this guy. Good work extracting a few bets from him on the turn.

Overall, I like your play, considering your nutty opponent.

Harv72b
12-03-2004, 10:31 PM
If he's holding two overcards (which is what I'd put him on), I think if you call his turn raise &amp; check to him on a river that doesn't hit his hand, you run the risk of it getting checked through. You win the same amount of bets either way &amp; do get some hand info that way, but I think the 3-bet is the proper way to go. Especially if he was holding something like TT or 99 and has a gutshot straight draw here.

As for the raise PF, I guess it depends on how well you've established his PFR criteria. Unless I'm sure that a player will raise first in with just about anything, I don't think I'd 3-bet with 88.