PDA

View Full Version : Starting 7-card stud Hi/Lo game questions?

Yawkey
12-03-2004, 08:19 PM
I finally convinced some of my poker buddies that learning some new games would be a good idea. So we're starting tomorrow with 7-card stud Hi/Lo. A couple of us have read Sklanksy's section in DB's Super System, but no one has really played it (I played a couple free tables online but they don't really count). With this in mind we feel comfortable starting with a $5 ring game to learn the basic concepts. My first question is do we start with a limit or no-limit game? There seem to mostly be limit games online so I would tend to lean more that way, if we were to goto Foxwoods or Vegas would we find mostly limit games or are there a good number of NL too.

Then of course with $5 buy-ins what are reasonable antes, bring-ins and bets?

Thanks for the help.

Al Mirpuri
12-03-2004, 08:23 PM
Very Importantant: Seven Stud Hi Lo is now played with a quatifier for low. You need an Eight low or better to get the money for the low side.

Very Important: This changes strategy a lot. Purchase Ray Zee's book, High Low Split Poker.

Yawkey
12-03-2004, 08:38 PM
Good to know, thanks Al for the insight there. If any one knows of an online source that has updated info on the game that I can review before tomorrow that would be great. I will certainly look into Ray Zee's book if I find that I enjoy the game.

Klak
12-03-2004, 08:43 PM
Lou Krieger's articles at cardplayer.com have a very good outline of the starting hands you should be playing. heres the links:
On the Starting Line in Seven-Card Stud Eight-or-Better — Part I (http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/archives/?a_id=13968)
On the Starting Line in Seven-Card Stud Eight-or-Better — Part II (http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/archives/?a_id=13991)
On the Starting Line in Seven-Card Stud Eight-or-Better — Part III (http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/archives/?a_id=14022)

antes and brings are half or a fourth of a small bet.

Cooling Heels
12-03-2004, 09:16 PM
"if we were to goto Foxwoods or Vegas would we find mostly limit games or are there a good number of NL too."

Ha, good luck finding stud hi/lo in vegas, you better stick to online. The only games that I know of only go on Fridays, one is 3/6, the other $10 on 3,4,5 & 6, $20 on the river. Stud is dead in vegas.

Runner Runner
12-03-2004, 10:00 PM
NL stud or stud hilo games aren't likely to be found anywhere.

Play the game limit. If you only want to risk $5 each. Play it with 10cent betting on 3rd and 4th street and 20cent betting on 5th-7th. Make the bring in a nickel and do a rotational ante (have one player toss in 10 cents for the table). Have fun, and bump up the stakes to 25c-50c if you guys have $20 to burn. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Yawkey
12-04-2004, 02:25 AM
That answers every question I had! Along with pointing some new stuff out I wasn't even aware I needed to know!

Thank you very much! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Andy B
12-04-2004, 03:09 AM
How 'bout you have $6 buy-ins? That would give you 20 BB each for

2 cent ante, 5 cent bring-in, $.15/.30 limit

which mirrors the standard $15/30 structure. Maybe you could play

1 cent ante, 3 cent bring-in, $.10/.20 limit

if you guys really only have $5 apiece to play with. Ray Zee's book rules, and stud/8 is a better game than high-low with no declare and no qualifier.

Yawkey
12-04-2004, 03:25 AM
Good thinking Andy, I think I can convince everyone that using an extra dollar will be worth it for the educational purposes. In adding a dollar to the buy-in I was able to ask everyone to bring an extra dollar in change to make cash outs easier. Now we're rolling, I'll let you guys know how the game turns out.

Thanks again.

Chris Daddy Cool
12-04-2004, 04:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I finally convinced some of my poker buddies that learning some new games would be a good idea. So we're starting tomorrow with 7-card stud Hi/Lo. A couple of us have read Sklanksy's section in DB's Super System, but no one has really played it (I played a couple free tables online but they don't really count). With this in mind we feel comfortable starting with a $5 ring game to learn the basic concepts. My first question is do we start with a limit or no-limit game? There seem to mostly be limit games online so I would tend to lean more that way, if we were to goto Foxwoods or Vegas would we find mostly limit games or are there a good number of NL too.

Then of course with $5 buy-ins what are reasonable antes, bring-ins and bets?

Thanks for the help.

[/ QUOTE ]

almost all stud is played in limit form. so you should definitely learn that before deviating to NL.