PDA

View Full Version : Mindless spraying or hand protection? 99 from the SB...

thirddan
12-03-2004, 07:08 PM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP3 is LAG (only about 30 hands)
UTG is loose/passive

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif. CO posts a blind of $3.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, Hero folds...

comments on flop and turn play? Is it better to just check/call if i want to showdown or is this a good line?

Grease
12-03-2004, 07:13 PM
If you have a read on MP3 as being a decent player, he either has a flush draw or a monster on the flop. If I had a strong draw here, I might play it the same way (depending on the players). However, his continued aggression on the turn makes it less likely he's drawing and more likely he has a monster. I'd probably just call him here, and bet the river if he checked it and a blank hit. I like the fold, which is pretty no-brainer.

SamIAm
12-03-2004, 07:14 PM
You had so little respect for his 3-bet on the flop that you checkraised the turn, but you had so MUCH respect for his 3-bet on the turn that you folded. What do you think he had? Why didn't you think he had it after the flop action?

I don't understand the check-raise on the turn. I'd just check-call, or even fold, depending on the player. He's sure ACTING like 2 pair or a set.
-Sam

MarkD
12-03-2004, 07:16 PM
I hate the turn CR. It's chip spraying at it's finest.

thirddan
12-03-2004, 07:17 PM
i didn't have a read that MP3 was decent, he is a LAG...

thirddan
12-03-2004, 07:18 PM
whats the play then? check/call check/fold??

thirddan
12-03-2004, 07:21 PM
i see your point...

on the flop a LAG could have TP with an A or even a gutshot, as well as two pair/set or flush draw...

also, folding to a turn 3bet is much easier than folding to a flop 3bet...even most lags have something good when they 3bet the turn...

MarkD
12-03-2004, 07:42 PM
If you think you probably still have the best hand I would bet out on the turn. This is a decent spot to do a stop and go.

MP3 could just as well be on a flush draw free card play and by going for a check raise you allow him to check it through if he wants, and if you do have the worst hand then you cost yourself 2 BB's instead of 1.

I think you should bet out on the turn, or check/fold.

thirddan
12-03-2004, 07:49 PM
the reason is didn't bet out is because i can't protect my hand that way, i can't make someone with overcards fold if they are still in...is it not worth it to make them face two cold so i have a greater chance of winning the pot?

MarkD
12-03-2004, 07:54 PM
I don't think so. I think the chance that the turn gets checked through plus the chance you are already behind overshadows the "protect your hand" aspect of this hand.

I could be wrong, but I think betting out on the turn is better. Overcards will generally fold anyways if they don't have a Queen, and someone with a Queen is unlikely to fold to your CR IMO so the CR doesn't really accomplish anything. You opponents don't know that you only have 99.

kendal14
12-03-2004, 08:10 PM
The problem I think with this thinking is that you are trying to protect your hand (against the other two in the pot?) by spending 2BB C/R an agressor who 3-bet the flop.

I do not think the C/R is getting rid of anyone that would not go away for just one bet. Anyone with a Q and good kicker stays, and anyone with the other overcards would fold to one bet if they were going to fold at all. At this point I think you have to assume you are behind and go to check/call or check/fold mode depending on your read on the agressor. Check raising only to fold is worse than checking the turn and calling one bet on the river, because you can get a showdown and evaluate your read on the agressor.