PDA

View Full Version : Worst televised sports

Ogre
12-03-2004, 06:13 PM
Out of all these sports on tv which is the worst?

kerssens
12-03-2004, 06:16 PM
I say NASCAR...just cars makin left turns. They're not even ambi-turners.

stabn
12-03-2004, 06:17 PM
Fishing as a spectator sport is worse than any of those, and it isn't even the worst. The worst sport, that has ever been televised is CURLING, and it isn't even close.

Ogre
12-03-2004, 06:17 PM
To me it has to be wrestling because its fake and scripted.
Although darts and NASCAR are quite close.

spamuell
12-03-2004, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The worst sport, that has ever been televised is CURLING, and it isn't even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf?

Curling is almost as good as bowling.

Sponger15SB
12-03-2004, 06:23 PM
its gotta be bowling.

90% of the time you are seeing THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENING OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

AngryCola
12-03-2004, 06:25 PM
I'm torn between NASCAR and darts.

NASCAR = Left turns
Darts = well.....hmm...

I guess I have to go with darts. At least NASCAR has left turns. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

AngryCola
12-03-2004, 06:27 PM
"90% of the time you are seeing THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENING OVER AND OVER AGAIN."

The same is true about televised darts.

"Another triple 20, Bill!"

"That's amazing, Ted!"

Iceman
12-03-2004, 06:29 PM
You forgot figure skating.

Non_Comformist
12-03-2004, 06:35 PM
How in the hell could anyone pick professional wrestling? That [censored] was made for TV.

Lazymeatball
12-03-2004, 06:36 PM
figure skating has the occasional crotch shot, female figure skating at least.

I think WNBA deserves a mention.

stabn
12-03-2004, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Loc: London, UK

[/ QUOTE ]
Only you brits and those Canadians above us have any tolerance for that sport. How it can pass mustard to be an Olympic game with how few countries routinely play it i'll never understand.

kerssens
12-03-2004, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's another mention.

Ogre
12-03-2004, 07:37 PM
WNBA is just the sport basketball played by bad players who can't dunk. I would never think about watching it but all of these sports are much worse.

Ogre
12-03-2004, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fishing as a spectator sport is worse than any of those

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate fishing but worse than darts and wrestling!?!

eric5148
12-03-2004, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How in the hell could anyone pick professional wrestling? That [censored] was made for TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because it was made for TV doesn't mean it's entertaining.

stabn
12-03-2004, 07:55 PM
I've never been unforunate enough to see darts on TV, so i can't rank it. And wrestling isn't a sport. It's a made up TV spectator battle gameshow like american gladiators was.

brassnuts
12-03-2004, 07:56 PM
I'm happy to see ping pong still as 0 votes. I love watching that sh*t.

eric5148
12-03-2004, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I have to go with darts. At least NASCAR has left turns.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about crashes?

MarkL444
12-03-2004, 07:57 PM
i voted for dodgeball because its so poorly done and so stupid. it needs to get real mainstream so we can have big stadiums and sellout crowds and fan merchandise and huge mulit year contracts and fantasy dodgeball and steroids.

eric5148
12-03-2004, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm happy to see ping pong still as 0 votes. I love watching that sh*t.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. It's the highlight of the Olympics.

Non_Comformist
12-03-2004, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because it was made for TV doesn't mean it's entertaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except in this case it is.

eric5148
12-03-2004, 07:59 PM
How come bull riding isn't on the list?

Non_Comformist
[ QUOTE ]
And wrestling isn't a sport. It's a made up TV spectator battle gameshow like american gladiators was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

Ogre
I hate wrestling but does anybody remeber watching the american gladiator-like show called Battle Dome. That show was awsome, exept the scripted stuff.

kerssens
12-03-2004, 08:01 PM
I remember seeing some guy take a tumble down the Battle Dome and break his leg...it was Thiesman-esque

eric5148
12-03-2004, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate wrestling but does anybody remeber watching the american gladiator-like show called Battle Dome. That show was awsome, exept the scripted stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's been hundreds of American Gladiator ripoffs.

brassnuts
12-03-2004, 08:03 PM
I didn't enjoy 'wrestling' when I was a little kid in Hulk Hogan's pre-Suburban Commando days. I absolutely hated it when it made its comeback when I was in highschool.

ThaSaltCracka
12-03-2004, 08:04 PM
American Gladiators is/was better than wrestling.

kerssens
12-03-2004, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't enjoy 'wrestling' when I was a little kid in Hulk Hogan's pre-Suburban Commando days.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was when it was at its peak....I remember being like 5 and horrified when I saw Macho Man Randy Savage bring the ringbell down across Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat's throat.

stabn
12-03-2004, 08:05 PM
Very true. That doesn't preclude the WWF from not being a sport though. Their both in the same mold i think, AG was simply better. Plus, it's chicks weren't quite as scary as the WWF's (especially since they had female contestants).

Non_Comformist
12-03-2004, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

That was when it was at its peak....I remember being like 5 and horrified when I saw Macho Man Randy Savage bring the ringbell down across Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat's throat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not just once but again and again and again. how anyone could say that is not goood TV is beyond me.

ThaSaltCracka
12-03-2004, 08:11 PM
um, I am willing to say it is a sport, solely because it requires athletic ability.

ThaSaltCracka
12-03-2004, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not just once but again and again and again. how anyone could say that is not goood TV is beyond me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure why it is even on the list to be honest with you. When I first saw the title, hockey instantly popped into my mind, but thats just me.

Non_Comformist
12-03-2004, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
um, I am willing to say it is a sport, solely because it requires athletic ability.

[/ QUOTE ]

So then stunt work done in movies is a sport?

Non_Comformist
12-03-2004, 08:17 PM
[quote

Not sure why it is even on the list to be honest with you. When I first saw the title, hockey instantly popped into my mind, but thats just me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, I thought for sure that would be on there.

ThaSaltCracka
12-03-2004, 08:17 PM
I am not getting into a sport/non sport argument, sorry.

stabn
12-03-2004, 09:30 PM
You started it /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

NLSoldier
12-03-2004, 11:14 PM
You forgot hockey, oh wait, its not televised any more because they dont play any more /images/graemlins/smile.gif

mmcd
12-03-2004, 11:38 PM
Poker

Sponger15SB
12-03-2004, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the episode where a guy fell off the spinning tower thing and broke his leg so bad i had to leave the room was [censored] awsome.

Think ken norten jr. on monday night football but worse.

it made every episode i watched totally worth it!

Sponger15SB
12-03-2004, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I remember seeing some guy take a tumble down the Battle Dome and break his leg...it was Thiesman-esque

[/ QUOTE ]

whoops. yeah just posted about this.

seriously deserves another mention

Lazymeatball
12-04-2004, 12:02 AM
by the way, Bull riding is great television, that's why. Take a pissed of bull, throw some dude on his back, see what happens. It's a formula built for success.

Ogre
12-04-2004, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Poker

[/ QUOTE ]

You would rather watch darts bowling and NASCAR more then poker? I hate poker on tv but seriously...

eric5148
12-04-2004, 02:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
by the way, Bull riding is great television, that's why. Take a pissed of bull, throw some dude on his back, see what happens. It's a formula built for success.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it's all about perspective. I see it as a bunch of big dumb guys wearing cowboy hats purposely getting thrown around by wild animals just so they can sit around and tell glorified stories about their scars and all the bones they've broken.

jstnrgrs
12-04-2004, 05:41 AM
I watched curling in the last winter olympics. I have to say, It is as intreasting as 9-ball. That's much better that trick shots, darts, or bowling.
If you really want the worst, I'd have to go with 10m air riffle.

jstnrgrs
12-04-2004, 05:43 AM
At least American Gladiators was a real competition (one of my criteria for calling something a sport).

jstnrgrs
12-04-2004, 05:50 AM
besides, poker is not a sport.

Lazymeatball
12-04-2004, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it's all about perspective. I see it as a bunch of big dumb guys wearing cowboy hats purposely getting thrown around by wild animals just so they can sit around and tell glorified stories about their scars and all the bones they've broken.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see it the same way, and you don't think that's great television?

Cyrus
12-04-2004, 10:51 AM
With the exception of the old BBC Master Game series.

cardcounter0
12-04-2004, 11:05 AM
Celebrity Poker.

Do you see why?

BeerMoney
12-04-2004, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding ding ding ding!

BeerMoney
12-04-2004, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How come bull riding isn't on the list?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause its awesome, and the only thing with bigger balls than a bull are the dudes that get on them.

jwvdcw
12-04-2004, 12:08 PM
Of those choices, definitely Nascar.

You don't have to like Pro Wrestling, but at least you have to admit its entertaining.

Ping pong is amazing to watch- they're so damn good!

Bowling is a bit boring as well.

IhadPocketMes
12-04-2004, 12:22 PM
The two worst televised sports are definitely Putt Putt Golf, they make fun of it on Cheapseats on espn classic. Also those lawnmower races they have on espn every once in a while.

Jezebel
12-04-2004, 02:26 PM
Put me down for Hockey as well. I thought for sure it would be an option. However, a live hockey game can be a blast. The action is just too fast for TV to do it any justice.

Kenrick
12-04-2004, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Celebrity Poker.

Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw the one with the cast of The West Wing. One person out of the bunch knew how to play. It hurt to watch, so I never did again.

I can only guess darts is #1 on the above list, although I've never seen it. ESPN has also aired women's softball, and there was like 20 people in the crowd.

Just like it depends on which football teams are playing, bowling can be great television depending on who is on the show, such as Pete Weber. Robert Smith throws the most powerful strike ball on tour, which is a sight to behold when he makes the show. You can tell the announcers have an easy time getting excited when he's on. ESPN puts plexiglass or something behind the pins for the rear-angle camera, and one time Smith threw so hard he broke the plexiglass.

The Dude
12-04-2004, 07:20 PM
I can't believe NASCAR is winning this poll. You guys do realize that auto racing is the 2nd most popular sport in the U.S., right? Ahead of baseball and basketball.

jstnrgrs
12-04-2004, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe NASCAR is winning this poll. You guys do realize that auto racing is the 2nd most popular sport in the U.S., right? Ahead of baseball and basketball.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because the US is populated by a bunch of ignorant redneck hicks.

The Dude
12-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Go away.

Lazymeatball
12-04-2004, 08:12 PM
Ironic, considering you are clearly ignorant of the sport yourself.

Duke
12-04-2004, 08:20 PM
Oh, I didn't realize that Dodgeball wasn't just a joke. I don't think that sport could possibly be mature enough to be interesting.

I like 9-ball but the trick shot things are retarded.

I like to watch bowling because it's neat as hell when a guy uses a completely different approach/hook/ball from one week to the next to handle different lane conditions.

NASCAR isn't my favorite thing to watch, but I'd rather watch that than a lot of other programs that are on TV. Once in a while you see a guy die, or just some sick pass.

Ping pong has to be one of the more amazing things to watch played at a high level. Most people are used to a game of being "dink-dink-dink-SLAM" and it's over if that shot hits. This stuff on TV is incredible: "dink-SLAM-SLAM-SLAM-SLAM-SLAM-SLAM-SLAM."

Darts is passable if only to observe great dart players consistently kicking ass at it.

I voted for wrestling, because I feel dumber every time I see it.

What should be on the list:

WNBA, LPGA, Hunting, Sport Fishing, World's Strongest Man, Jump Rope Competitions, Cheerleader competitions.

~D

The Dude
12-04-2004, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I voted for wrestling, because I feel dumber every time I see it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well said.

Ogre
12-04-2004, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jump Rope Competitions, Cheerleader competitions.

[/ QUOTE ]

End of discussion

Koller
12-04-2004, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Put me down for Hockey as well. I thought for sure it would be an option. However, a live hockey game can be a blast. The action is just too fast for TV to do it any justice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf?

The worst sport, that has ever been televised is Darts. The action is just too fast for TV to do it any justice. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

zephed56
12-06-2004, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Take off eh hoser. What other sport can you put the "foil" on and punch someone's lights out? You get a club, sharp skates and get to run into people. Is that not exciting?

Sure it's way more interesting live, but it's pretty damn good on tv.

It must be the "icing" rule that's confusing you...
Okay, here's how it works, if you are in your half of the ice and shoot it all the way down to the other side without the puck touching a player, and the opponent is the first to gain control of the puck after that, then it is called "icing", and there is a faceoff in your own zone.

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 11:46 PM
you aren't going to convine me otherwise.

zephed56
12-06-2004, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you aren't going to convine me otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]
You shoulda quoted me, but ok.