PDA

View Full Version : which books should i buy ?

stonecold
12-03-2004, 04:24 PM
Well i have read Winning low limit hold'em and hold'em excellence. Great books. Made profit and want to expand my skills.

I live in sweden and want to buy all books i need at once. so i dont need to pay the shipping cost everytime. I was thinking that Amazon.com should be the best place to buy them if u live in europa is it so ?

I was also thining if there are any dvd or software that would help one expand the poker skills.

I play both NL and Limit Hold'em. I also want to learn how to get good on tournaments.

So just if u have any suggestions i would be very greatful.
I was thining to buy around 20 books but thats maybe to much or little what du u think ?

Thanks guys /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BigDoggie
12-03-2004, 04:34 PM
Must Reads
1. Theory of Poker
2. Small Stakes Hold'em
3. Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players
4. No limit, Pot Limit by ciaffone and reuban
5. Harrington on Hold'em, Volume 1: Strategic Play
6. Middle Limit Hold'em Poker by Ciaffone

mojorisin24
12-03-2004, 05:00 PM
You can't forget
1. Super System... By, Doyle Brunson
2. Championship No-Limit and Pot-Limit Hold 'Em... By, TJ Cloutier and Tom McEvoy

These books are great for teaching you aggression (Brunson) and tournament skills (Cloutier).

Although not for technical skills, I also recommend you get:
1. The Biggest Game in Town... By, A. Alvarez

A classic book that really takes you inside the game at it's highest levels. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

stonecold
12-03-2004, 08:02 PM
This is the books im interested in, Dont know how good they are or if i really need them so you guys must help me /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

* No-Limit Texas Hold'em : The New Player's Guide to Winning Poker's Biggest Game - Tom McEvoy

* The Biggest Game in Town - A. Alvarez

* Doyle Brunson's Super System - Doyle Brunson

* Doyle Brunson's Super System II - Doyle Brunson

* Championship No Limit & Pot Limit Hold 'Em - Tom McEvoy

* More Hold'em Excellence: A Winner for Life - Lou Krieger

* Internet Poker: How to Play and Beat Online Poker Games - Lou Krieger

* Internet Texas Hold'em: Winning Strategies from an Internet Pro - Matthew Hilger

* Inside the Poker Mind: Essays on Hold 'em and General Poker Concepts - John Feeney

* Pot-Limit & No-Limit Poker - Stewart Reuben

* Middle Limit Holdem Poker - Bob Ciaffone

* Hold 'Em Poker - David Sklansky

* Caro's Book of Poker Tells - Mike Caro

* Tournament Poker for Advanced Players (Advance Player) - David Sklansky
*** Question: is there any good book by sklansky on tournaments which is for beginners or is there a good tournament book that is writen by anyone else ? ***

* The Theory of Poker - David Sklansky

* Hold'Em Poker for Advanced Players (Advance Player) - David Sklansky

* Poker Essays - Mason Malmuth

* Poker Essays volume II - Mason Malmuth

* Poker Essays volume III - Mason Malmuth

* Small Stakes Hold 'em: Winning Big With Expert Play - Ed Miller

Harrington on hold'em was out of order at amazon.com wo i will buy it some other time.

Which book's should i delete from this list and which book's should i add ?

I also want to know which Dvd's is worth spending money on, if there are any !

BugsBunny
12-04-2004, 03:10 AM
This is the books im interested in, Dont know how good they are or if i really need them so you guys must help me

* No-Limit Texas Hold'em : The New Player's Guide to Winning Poker's Biggest Game - Tom McEvoy

--good intro to NL. Very basic.

--Haven't read it. On my to buy eventually list. Supposed to be a good book. Not a strategy book.

* Doyle Brunson's Super System - Doyle Brunson
--about to be superceded by Super System II. Nice from a historical perspective but not of much practical use for todays games. I'd just get SS II BUT

* Doyle Brunson's Super System II - Doyle Brunson
--This isn't shipping yet except to Doyles Room customers and I'm not sure when it will be available to the general public.

* Championship No Limit & Pot Limit Hold 'Em - Tom McEvoy

--meh, there's better coming down the pike any day now (Harrington will be shipping by end of the month)

* More Hold'em Excellence: A Winner for Life - Lou Krieger
--You don't really need any of the Krieger books with the other stuff on this list.

* Internet Poker: How to Play and Beat Online Poker Games - Lou Krieger

* Internet Texas Hold'em: Winning Strategies from an Internet Pro - Matthew Hilger
--Good book for basic concepts. Whether it will be useful for you deoends on where your limit game currently is. I think it's currently one of the best (probably the best) beginners book on the market.

* Inside the Poker Mind: Essays on Hold 'em and General Poker Concepts - John Feeney
--Great book.

--On my to buy list

--Good book. Suggested play tends to be a bit weak tight for todays games, but it will help your game if read with a discerning eye.

* Hold 'Em Poker - David Sklansky
--Not really necessary with other books on the list, but a good and useful read.

* Caro's Book of Poker Tells - Mike Caro
--Good if you play live.

*** Question: is there any good book by sklansky on tournaments which is for beginners or is there a good tournament book that is writen by anyone else ? ***
--Harrington will be the book you're looking for here from the sound of your question. This (TPFAP) is a worthwhile book though.

--Absolute must buy

--Still a very valuable book to read and a must buy.

* Poker Essays - Mason Malmuth

* Poker Essays volume II - Mason Malmuth

* Poker Essays volume III - Mason Malmuth
--All the Poker Essays are worth reading.

--A must buy for todays game.

Harrington on hold'em was out of order at amazon.com wo i will buy it some other time.
--See my comments on this book above. I'd hold off the order a few weeks till you can get it.

Books to add:
Improve your Poker - Ciaffone

And, You'll probably have to pay separate shipping on it because you may not be able to get it from Amazon, but I strongly suggest you get a copy of:
Real Poker II, The Play of Hands - Roy Cooke

I know that it's available via Conjelco. You can pre-order Harrington from Conjelco, as well as order this at the same time.

You may also wanmt to consider "The Psycholgy of Poker" by Dr. Alan Schoonamaker

Oh, almost forgot. For NL you really need a copy of "No Limit and Pot Limit Poker" by Ciaffone/Rueben

As far as software from what I hear (not personal experince) the best software currently on the market is probably Poki's Poker Academy.

I think that covers it. I'm sure others will have some comments as well.

helpmeout
12-04-2004, 03:24 AM
Order the more common books first because you will have to wait too long.

I live in Australia and also use Amazon the problem is with uncommon books you have to wait up to a couple of months.

Add The psychology of poker and Improve your poker.

benfranklin
12-04-2004, 04:21 AM
You might take a look Here (http://www.spelapoker.se/)

Or there (http://www.pokersidan.se/)

BSXX
12-04-2004, 05:14 AM
Whew! Amazon will be glad to hear from you.

I usually caution against buying many books and trying to hastily read them all, you just can't get much from an instructional book with a single reading, but your cirucmstances are a little different.

I would delete the following, at a minimum, from your list:

Doyle Brunson's Super System - Doyle Brunson
More Hold'em Excellence: A Winner for Life - Lou Krieger
Internet Poker: How to Play and Beat Online Poker Games - Lou Krieger
Internet Texas Hold'em: Winning Strategies from an Internet Pro - Matthew Hilger
Hold 'Em Poker - David Sklansky
Caro's Book of Poker Tells - Mike Caro (delete if you play primarily online)

I am not saying these books are bad, just too much duplication.

You should probably determine what limits you will likely play and concentrate on books for that level. You can order more when you actually make a move in limits.

Henkeman
12-04-2004, 11:29 AM
the best poker forum if you are from Sweden is: www.pokerforum.nu (http://www.pokerforum.nu) /images/graemlins/heart.gif

amulet
12-04-2004, 05:43 PM
below i have taken a past post of mine and coppied it here. i hope it is helpful.

i am surprised at the lack of mention of many of the best poker books at this site. especially since most of the best books are published by two plus two. the book that seems to get the most attention here is "small stakes hold 'em." it is a great book. however, from reading the posts i am noticing that many people seem to feel reading this one book is enough. additionally they recommend it to virtual beginners. this is not a beginners book. therefore, i have taken the liberty of discussing several books that helped my game. i believe anyone serious about their game should read as many books as possible.

SMALL STAKES HOLD 'EM by Ed Miller, David Sklansky & Mason Malmuth.
A great book on small stakes Hold 'em. Not for the beginner. It incorporates a lot of the principles of the two below books ('Hold 'em for Advanced Players" and "Theory of Poker"). A must read for all players.

HOLD'EM POKER FOR ADVANCED PLAYERS by David Sklansky & Mason Malmuth
Considered the most important advanced work on the game today. Full of strategic concepts. Another must read for all players. However, it is not simple to a new player, and might take time to digest much of what is written. As most here know David Sklansky is considered the foremost poker author in the world. You will learn an incredible amount from this book.

THEORY OF POKER by David Sklansky
This is the best poker book I have ever read. Poker concepts that all serious players must know. A great book. Somewhat complex the first time you read it.

TOURNAMENT POKER FOR ADVANCED PLAYERS by David Sklansky
This work is vital for anyone playing tournaments.

For the beginner who knows the game somewhat, but is not yet ready for SMALL STAKES HOLD 'EM, I suggest:
WINNING LOW LIMIT HOLD `EM 2nd Edition by Lee Jones
A good book for the player who knows a little and now wants to learn strategy. Very straight forward, very clear. The book is not always correct. It also makes things too simple, and does not advocate aggressive play. However, there is currently a gap in the poker literature, no complete beginners book exists. Therefore, I think this is a must for all new players.

MIDDLE LIMIT HOLDEM by Bob Ciaffone and Jim Brier
A terrific book filled with problems and answers. I see many posts at this site that if said poster had read this book they would not be asking the question.

Other books I loved and highly recommend for anyone serious about the game are:

INSIDE THE POKER MIND by John Feeney
A wonderful book that will help all players and make them more money. It helps players find the tools to think on a higher level as they play. For most players the first 30 pages alone will dramacticly improve their game, and correct very common mistakes.

POKER ESSAY'S Volume I, II, & III
I find as my poker improves I get more and more out of these terrific books.

Other Books I found very helpful are:

GETTING THE BEST OF IT by David Sklansky
GAMBLING THEORY AND OTHER TOPICS by Mason Malmuth
SKLANSKY ON POKER by David Sklansky
POKER GAMING AND LIFE by David Sklansky

I also found the dvd of CARO'S BOOK OF TELLS helpful. However it is somewhat slow and painful to sit through.

SUPER SYSTEMS 2
I have not yet read 2 (except for the limit hold em section in an early draft), but given what the first Super Systems did for poker, plus who the authors are, I think this is a must too.

I want to reiterate a point that I have made in other posts. I reread all these books often. I find the more I understand about the game, the more I get out of each book

stonecold
12-04-2004, 06:02 PM
I know that Super system is outdated but i thought the No-limit section still was a must read ?

Does super system 2 have just as good or better section on NL hold'em ?

stonecold
12-04-2004, 06:44 PM
My updated list:

--------------------------------Books:---------------------------------------

* Poker Essays, Volume I - Mason Malmuth

* Poker Essays, Volume II - Mason Malmuth

* Poker Essays, Volume III - Mason Malmuth

* Championship No Limit & Pot Limit Hold 'Em (Championship Series) - Tom McEvoy

* No-Limit Texas Hold'em : The New Player's Guide to Winning Poker's Biggest Game (The New Players Series) - Tom McEvoy

* Improve Your Poker - Bob Ciaffone

* The Psychology of Poker - Alan N. Schoonmaker

-----------------DvD's (are this 3 dvd's any good ?):--------------------------

* Poker More Secrets of No Limit Hold E - Pro-Active Entertain

* Howard Lederer "Tells" all - All In Productions

* Secrets of Texas Limit Holdem - All In Productions

---------------------------On my to buy list:---------------------------------

* Super System II

* Mike caros book Poker tells

* Harrington on holdem

* Real poker II the play of hands

---------------------------looking into later:---------------------------------

* Getting the best of it

* Gambling and other topics

* Sklansky and poker

* Poker Gambling and life

-------------------------------End Of list's:---------------------------------

How does this List's look like ?

Just to be sure !
I should wait for SSII and not buy the "the bible" ?

I also want to thank everybody for the great replies and excuse myself for my poor english.

I will make the order on Monday 16:00 (Gmt+1)

So if u want me to change my mind about any of this books u know when the deadline is /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Derelique
12-04-2004, 07:35 PM
I am looking to purchase a couple books myself. Two to be exact. I have been playing poker for a little over 6 months now, and feel I have the very basics down, but would of course, love to improve my game. I mainly play tournament hold em's, so which of these two books would you guys recommend as the ones I should first look into?

Hold'em Poker: For Advanced Players - David Sklansky
The Theory of Poker: David Sklansky
Championship No-Limit & Pot-Limit Hold 'em - T.J. & Mcevoy, Tom Cloutier
Tournament Poker for Advanced Players - David Sklansky

I am mainly a tourny player.... I don't know whether or not I should buy both the championship no limit by T.J or the tournament poker for advanced player. Any reviews?
If you must pick two, which would you purchase?

Thank you.

Icebee
12-04-2004, 08:53 PM
Check out Amulets post in this same thread. He breaks things down very well.

If you are only buying two (not sure why you'd limit yourself to just two, as they will pay for themselves many times over) IMHO get these two:

Theory of Poker and Tournament Poker for Advanced Player.