PDA

View Full Version : 9/18 live - River bet or check?

onegymrat
12-03-2004, 03:30 PM
Full table, loosely played. Four limpers to me in SB with K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I complete and BB checks his option. Six to the flop.

FLOP: Q /images/graemlins/club.gif3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet. Three callers. Four to the turn.

TURN: J /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet. MP (unknown to me, fairly loose-passive, table chip leader) calls, LP (loose-aggressive, who has been losing a lot of hands and chose not to raise pf this time) calls. Three to the river.

RIVER: Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Your move?

Evan
12-03-2004, 03:33 PM
check-fold. I bet someone has the card you want to represent.

DMBFan23
12-03-2004, 03:42 PM
should we raise preflop?

Evan
12-03-2004, 03:43 PM
I don't see a point to putting in more chips unecessarily out of position with a marginally good hand.

Fat Nicky
12-03-2004, 03:50 PM
I can't see how both players will fold given your read and the texture of the board.

DMBFan23
12-03-2004, 04:00 PM
word - this was a really easy raise at .5/1, I just wanted to make sure whether to abandon it. I dont know what limit live 9/18 equates to, but I'm comparing it with online 2/4 or 3/6

Evan
12-03-2004, 04:05 PM
I dunno what to equate it to either, I don't even know what 9/18 it is. It's not a raise I'd ever make FWIW. I dunno, check SSH (which I don't have with me) and see what it reccomends.

Entity
12-03-2004, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dunno what to equate it to either, I don't even know what 9/18 it is. It's not a raise I'd ever make FWIW. I dunno, check SSH (which I don't have with me) and see what it reccomends.

[/ QUOTE ]
You ever raise KJs from the blinds with 4 limpers? QJs? JTs?

Rob

Evan
12-03-2004, 04:08 PM
Yea, KJs and maybe JTs (depends on the texture of the game). As I said, I don't know if raising KTs is wrong, I just don't do it. I probably raise fewer than average hands out of position and more than average in LP.

BottlesOf
12-03-2004, 04:26 PM
You're not taking this down, game over.

Evan
12-03-2004, 04:52 PM
What's your preflop opinion? complete or raise?

BottlesOf
12-03-2004, 04:57 PM
complete. I feel this could be wrong. It's fairly close, and I'm not sure it matters much. More limpers and I say raise, it really depends how cheesy the limpers limp with.

Evan
12-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Pretty much exactly my thoughts. My guess is that its close either way. I think the hand is easier to play by completing.

onegymrat
12-03-2004, 06:45 PM
I think my key decision was to bet out or check-raise on the flop. Just check-calling was not the option here. I chose to bet, for this crowd will call down on odd draws, so when I hit my flush, I will get plenty of action. Unfortunately, I was faced with nothing by the river. I had not shown any bluffs during this short session, nor have I played many hands. I felt that betting out was the only way I would win this hand, and if I didn't bet, it would get checked around and LP would win with ace high.

I bet, MP paused for about ten seconds and called. LP folded. MP took it down with A /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. He turned out to be a major calling station. Would I have known that a bit earlier, I would have check.

Thanks for the responses.

Michael Davis
12-04-2004, 12:22 AM
I definitely disagree with the advice given so far. I think this is an easy river bet.

There are eight big bets in the pot. Nobody has ever raised you. There are some draws on this board, including A4 and A5 that players are going to stick around with. Players could hold any ace here, and they might even fold a 3 or a 2 at this point, especially if the guy holding the small pair is stuck in between you and a guy holding nothing.

Betting here is definitely correct because you take it down more than one in eight times (I'm thinking at least one in four) and your king high will only very rarely be good when it is checked around. By betting you will sometimes get baby pairs to fold and you will definitely chase out A4, A5, AT that stayed just for fun on the flop, and A9 that stayed the whole way for good knows what reason. Because so many of the hands your opponents will have here involve garbage aces, you must bet this river.

To say that one of your opponents likely has one of the big cards on board is to not have knowledge of the 9-18 at the Commerce.

-Michael