PDA

View Full Version : Plasma TV questions

J_V
12-03-2004, 02:23 PM
I have a couple things I want to compare. How much different is HDTV versus EDTV. I know EDTV is a lower quality, but is it worth the 2-3k price jump?

Also, does anyone here have an LCD that they like? I can't get over how bad the viewing angle gets from the side, and I never play video games, so I'm not worried about burn in.

Also, any suggestion would be nice.

Thanks

david050173
12-03-2004, 03:06 PM
EDTV vs HDTV all comes down to do you expect to watch HDTV on it? If you are just doing DVDs, EDTV has as good (if not slightly better) of picture.
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/ has some good info.

BusterStacks
12-03-2004, 03:11 PM
burn-in doesn't exist on flat panels. LCD is better than Plasma. HDTV is worth it to future-proof, the price shouldnt be TOO different, as long as the HDTV tuner is not built-in, which is how you want it.

DeezNutz3
12-03-2004, 03:32 PM
i have a 44" Zenith LCD HDTV. I love it.

Topflight
12-03-2004, 03:37 PM
Please explain why LCD is better than Plasma. Every time I go to best buy the Plasma screens seem to beat the [censored] out of the LCDs.

I can't even see the lcd anymore if I take two steps to the side.

gonores
12-03-2004, 03:51 PM
30" Mitsubishi LCD (http://www.abtelectronics.com/scripts/site/site_product.php3?id=15908&AID=10274510&PID=144320 0&setflag=1102102796)

Take a look at this if you're not looking for a big unit and are going for pure quality. I uncontrollably wet myself every time I turn on this set. This TV is one of very few LCDs that have more than one or two lamps set in behind the set (it has 4 lamps), which creates a wider spectrum of grays = higher perception of depth.

That said, I'd recommend plasma if you don't leave your TV on for long periods of time (I usually keep a news network or Sportscenter on for most of the day while I work). The quality of a plasma screen goes down quickly after 5-10000 hours.

david050173
12-03-2004, 06:39 PM
HD (at least 1024*768 instead of 800*480) doubles the price of a plasma. Direct view LCD are aobut twice the cost of a plasma. Projection LCDs are about the same price (or cheaper if you are buying a 50 incher) but they don't have the same amount of style. Plasmas tend to have slightly better pictures (better blacks and slightly better colors) but I don't think most people really care about the slight difference. LCDs will last longer but a modern plasam is supposed to be good for over 30k-60k hours which means the TV should last at least 5-10 years. I am betting you will want to replace the tv long before then. Again look at http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/plasma-vs-lcd.html for a bunch of FAQs

fatmongo
12-03-2004, 07:07 PM
Do you have your mind set on getting a plasma or lcd? If you want to hang it on a wall or something, go for it. But if you dont mind a TV that sticks out from the wall, doesn't hang on the wall, and weights upwards of 250lbs, look at this 40" Sony (http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_WEGA_KV_40XBR800/4505-6481_7-9453304.html). It doesn't have a giant screen, but I sit 8-10' away and it is perfect. It is a 4:3 TV, which is better than a widescreen for watching cable or playing ps2. But if you have a HD source the TV converts to a 16:9 mode. I use this for HD cable, DVD, and Gamecube.
The reason for the weight and huge footprint is its a tube TV just like the ones we all grew up with. Which means no viewing angle problems, and a picture that plasmas and lcds can't even imagine.
One problem is its an older model (2yrs), so it probably won't be in a best buy on display or anything. But if you do search and find one, you should be able to get one for dirt cheap ($1500 max I'd say, brand new).

MtnDave
12-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Some comments:
1) Plasma TVs consume over 4 times the power of regular TVs (over 1000 watts, typically). Utilities will have real problems if everybody switches to plasma TVs.
2) I have a 50" LCD rear projection TV (Panasonic). It is light weight (about 80#), not too deep, and has lots of inputs. It is native 720p, with a DVI input. Comcast HDTV looks great (football, olympics, baseball, etc.) DVDs played through the DVI input look great also (upconverted to 720p by the DVD player.)
3) Once you have watched some stuff in HDTV it is hard to go back. Especially sports with 5.1 surround sound for the "in-the-stadium" effect.

BusterStacks
12-04-2004, 12:14 AM
I was wondering if you can notice the difference with HD upconversion on DVDs.

MtnDave
12-05-2004, 12:17 AM
I haven't done any direct A/B comparisons, but some DVDs, such as the latest Star Wars DVDs, look better to me. Less grainy in dark scenes, for example. Note that my TV is native 720p, so it matches the DVD and I have a pure digital signal path.

Augie
12-05-2004, 02:02 AM
MtnDave,

What DVD player do you have? I also have a DVI input with 720p capability, but my current player uses component cables, so I get 480p.

Thanks,

Augie

MtnDave
12-06-2004, 04:05 AM
Samsung - commonly available at Fry's, Best Buy, etc for about $200.

J_V
12-09-2004, 04:13 AM
http://refurbelectronics.com/42hp83-rb.html

Good deal or bad deal? I've been taken for a ride too many times in electronics not to run this one by you guys.

Joseph Busti
12-09-2004, 05:02 AM
Do not get a Gateway Plasma, they suck. I got the 46 inch plasma about 6 months ago, WORST PURCHASE EVER. When i talk to the people at frys electronics, ultimate electronics and best buy, they all say DLP is the way to go now.

IndieMatty
12-09-2004, 10:41 AM
I heart my TV so much it's my avatar.

43" Pioneer.

PokerNoob
12-09-2004, 11:08 AM
Be careful with LCD if you watch predominatly sports or action type movies. Sometimes with this technology they have problems turning the pixels on and off fast enough. DLP or D-ILA (JVC) may give better results. Go to the store on Sunday and watch football games on various sets.

astroglide
12-09-2004, 01:10 PM
plasmas are considered flat panels and they do have burn-in. integrated hd tuners barely add any cost and all new hdtv sets have them.

astroglide
12-09-2004, 01:12 PM
spending money on a plasma edtv is criminally insane unless it's a fire sale daewoo/gateway/etc piece of crap that you're not using as your primary set. lcd viewing angles aren't as bad if you're at the appropriate height, it can be misleading looking down or up at sets on an aisle and walking side to side.

if you watch channels that have static logos (various news channels etc) or intend to watch non-hd material in its original format (not stretched faces to the sides of the screens) burn-in is still a concern.