PDA

View Full Version : Live SNG Questions

modaddy
12-03-2004, 12:19 PM
Hi all,

I'm planning on playing a couple of SNG satellites into tomorrow's $1500 PLHE event at the Bellagio.

I've never done one of these before... answers to a few questions would be appreciated.

1) Any tactical adjustments that you would suggest making from online SNG's? I'm a fairly consistent winner at the $50 level online, and have a little bit of live ring game and limit tourney experience.

2) How do tokes work for these events?

3) How exactly does the signup procedure work? Do they fill quickly pretty much around-the-clock? Is table selection at all possible? What are the chances of encountering a superstar in one of these things?

4) How long does the SNG take? Is the structure comparable to Party's?

Lots of questions, so thanks in advance for all answers...

dfscott
12-03-2004, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

2) How do tokes work for these events?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always wondered that myself. I can't imagine that people would be toking with t-chips, so either it just sux to be a tourney dealer or they get extra pay for dealing tournaments.

modaddy
12-04-2004, 08:03 AM
Posting my experience here for the benefit of others who might have the same questions I did.

Well tonight was definitely a success. I played three satellites and chopped two of them (one with equal chips, one with a decent chip lead). The first one was against Hon Le, so I definitely appreciated that win. I was too chicken to play him heads up for the full entry. :-)

The second one, first hand I get dealt AKo UTG. Raise it up, get called by BB. Flop the nut straight, get led into, raise all in, and get called by flush draw that hits.

The third one, I was down to 500 chips (started with 2K) before coming back to chop it.

The satellites were $180 each. We ended up toking dealers $40 on the two chops, and it was suggested by the other player that a toke to the floor was also appropriate, so I gave him $20 for each of the two chops. Were these numbers appropriate?

3) The satellites all filled up pretty quickly (within 15 minutes or so). They did stop running new ones around 3AM.

4) Roughly same as an online one... 20 minutes rounds, I definitely felt like I had some room to maneuver and was able to wait for decent hands.

All in all, my online experience definitely helped. There were a couple of times where I felt completely at a disadvantage playing live. Best example of that - I had 77 in the BB. Hon Le raised the pot from the button. I thought for awhile and decided to reraise. He then gave me the staredown, and I realized I had no idea how to react... part of it was that I wasn't sure if I wanted a call or not, and part of it was just not knowing how I should act to get the response I wanted. I ended up just looking away, and he threw it away. (Later said he had A9)

Anyway, between the two chops I now have an entry into tomorrow's (ack, today's) $1600 PLHE event that I spent a total of about $600 for. Wish me luck!

byronkincaid
12-04-2004, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the info. Good luck in the tourney.