PDA

View Full Version : Late position/Raise or limp?

NYCBIZ
12-03-2004, 10:17 AM
According to Sklansky (and just about every poker player), hands like AK, AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ play better against fewer opponents. If you are in late position, of course you'll raise with AK (suited or unsuited), but what if you have an offsuit AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ, and five or so players have limped, and you think reraising will be unlikely to thin the field. Should you just limp?

mike_sharpe
12-03-2004, 10:37 AM
Why would you just limp with AQ, AJ or KQ?

NYCBIZ
12-03-2004, 10:50 AM
I definitely agree that in most instances, you would raise with AQ, AJ, or KQ, but I was just wondering if this might be an exception (and only if you are sure that raising wouldn't cause any other the limpers to fold).

mistrpug
12-03-2004, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I definitely agree that in most instances, you would raise with AQ, AJ, or KQ, but I was just wondering if this might be an exception (and only if you are sure that raising wouldn't cause any other the limpers to fold).

[/ QUOTE ]

AQo is strong enough to raise in LP against many limpers. AJo and KQo are closer. Your advantage over the limpers is probably pretty small, so you can make a case for calling and waiting to see the flop. That's actually how I play it at least. I'm giving up what is probably a small advantage preflop and hoping to take advantage on a favorable flop.

mike_sharpe
12-03-2004, 12:01 PM
I don't get it. Why wouldn't you want to get $$$ in the pot when you have a good starting hand and good position?

No one else has indicated they have an exceptionally strong hand.

Got to take advantage of those who play way too many hands.

zram21
12-03-2004, 12:13 PM
SSH covers this topic very well. Essentially it boils down to in tight games where players play pretty well preflop then hands like AQo, AJo, and KQo don't play very well in a multiway pot since your opponents are playing much better starting cards.

In small stakes games though your average opponents are playing cards far worse than AJ and KQ etc so you are giving up a good bit by just limping with them even in a multiway pot.

mistrpug
12-03-2004, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it. Why wouldn't you want to get $$$ in the pot when you have a good starting hand and good position?

No one else has indicated they have an exceptionally strong hand.

Got to take advantage of those who play way too many hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right. However, with AJo and KQo against many limpers your advantage is not all that big (but if they're suited, it's an easy raise).

However, since the advantage is relatively small, you can gamble and wait until the flop. You then take advantage of a bigger advantage on a favorable flop.

Basically in these cases, raising preflop is EV+, but waiting until the turn is possibly higher EV+.

zram21
12-03-2004, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Basically in these cases, raising preflop is EV+, but waiting until the turn is possibly higher EV+.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not certain I completely agree with this. Certainly your edge is going to be bigger on the flop when you hit your hand, but in small stakes games there are many opponents who are happy to pay you off when you hit your hand and they make middle or bottom pair. Your giving up quite a bit by not getting the extra money in preflop.

If you are holding AJo on the button and 4 loose passive players limp in it is a mistake not to raise in that situation.