PDA

View Full Version : My favorite Tommy Angelo Post

Sully
12-03-2004, 04:43 AM
Wow. I thought I was a Tommy fan, then I read this post and I was convinced. (My apologies to bicyclekick - I took this Tommy quote from a thread of his in the mid-high stakes forum. I would link it here, but I am flaccid when it comes to technology.)

From Tommy, in reference to loose calls:

Paragraph 1: The only reason to call is because you want to gamble it up a little. The only reason to do the math is so that you can pretend you have monetary cause to gamble it up a little. When actually, you don't need math for that. It's okay to gamble it up.

Paragraph 2: Unless you really do think of yourself as playing for profit, in which case, look at it like this. The worst two things you can possibly do at hold'em over your life is to call bets when you are out of position, and to call bets when you don't have a hand. Now look at that flop again and your position.

At the risk of getting simplistic, this post describes the entire dilemma of my game....

Paragraph 2 Guy reads books, posts hands, thinks odds, and feels that poker could be a fantastic side income for years to come.

But then Paragraph 1 Guy comes along and tosses in a chip or two. Sometimes a bad flop call might lead to a bluff turn raise that makes no sense. He also likes to play out of his bankroll and have a few drinks now and then.

Don't get me wrong, I love Paragraph 1 Guy...but Paragraph 2 Guy is where it's at. Thanks for putting it so well.

Turning Stone Pro, how about your favorite? Anyone else?