PDA

View Full Version : Kill Games

johnnybeef
12-03-2004, 01:14 AM
How should i adjust my play when playing in a kill game. I played in one last night on UB as it was extremely loose. Problem was that i lost huge in two kill hands causing me to have a losing session.

Thanks
Johnny

senjitsu
12-03-2004, 02:16 AM
Depends on the game. In an exceptionally loose game, you probably don't want to make any changes at all.

However, in a game where you sense that the increased stakes make a lot/some of the players nervous, you want to step up your aggressiveness. In spite of the fact that the it is no more or less correct to call a double sized bet into a double sized pot, there are people who won't do so because it costs too much.

Youll even find this is the case in many loose games, because loose players tend to (incorrectly) evaluate the decision to call based on the price to see the next card, not on their odds or expected value.

the same effect causes many kill pots to be less multiway, so you want to avoid limping from middle position with hands that require a multiway pot to be profitable.

jc

[ QUOTE ]
How should i adjust my play when playing in a kill game. I played in one last night on UB as it was extremely loose. Problem was that i lost huge in two kill hands causing me to have a losing session.

Thanks
Johnny

[/ QUOTE ]

AncientPC
12-07-2004, 03:19 AM
I haven't played very many kill games (and the ones I played were at UB .5/1 or 1/2) but I noticed that once it was a kill game it tended to make people more LAG than usual.

beset7
12-07-2004, 08:23 AM
I regularly play in a 4/8 Kill game (b&m).

I second what was said in a previous post. Most people get nervous during a kill pot and judge their hand against the size of the bet as opposed to pot odds, position, etc.

When I'm in a kill hand, i pretend like I walked over to the 10/20 table and sat down for one hand. I know i'm playing outside my bankroll. What's the natural reaction? Tighten up. But, if you catch good cards, don't be afraid to play it correctly. My two cents. I had a night last week were I got sucked out on in two massive kill pots. That will happen.

But, I was making +EV moves. If I had taken down those pots I would have made most of my weekly nut in two hands.

Fat Nicky
12-07-2004, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Problem was that i lost huge in two kill hands causing me to have a losing session.

[/ QUOTE ]

The other way around can happen as well. A losing session can turn into a winning one when your small pocket pair makes a set.