PDA

View Full Version : Jamming Multiway When Possibly Second-Best

zeitgeist
12-03-2004, 12:11 AM
I have been at the table for less than an hour. The player to my immediate left (i.e. MP1) has been there for a shorter period of time, and he has only shown down good cards so far. The other two players that are a factor in this hand have shown themselves to be complete pinheads who will call and chase with just about anything:

Paradise Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

So far, so good.

Flop: (10 SB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, SB calls, UTG calls.

Obviously not a terrible flop. At this point I'm putting MP1 on a weaker Ace, given his preflop call, his flop raise and his failure to cap.

Turn: (11 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, SB calls, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>...

Turning trips is certainly a welcome sight, but the fact that MP1 is now raising the turn notwithstanding that I had 3-bet the flop makes me re-evaluate his range of hands somewhat.

In many other similar situations I would probably slow down a tad (arguably monster-under-the-bed thinking, but that's another thread), but here I chose to 3-bet and my thinking was as follows: Yes, there's a chance - more than a slim chance - that MP1 has me beat. However, SB and UTG have been merrily calling all bets (as is their wont) and have never seen fit to raise. I am quite confident that, at a minimum, I have them beat. Therefore, I am making money off their calls and I should keep betting it up.

Comments, flames, etc., are welcome.

Results this weekend.

ecooke
12-03-2004, 12:31 AM
I c/r the Turn 100% of the time.

Richard Berg
12-03-2004, 01:14 AM
You just jammed an Ace-high flop with no big draws. Another Ace comes. Who's gonna fall for a checkraise from MP?

Grease
12-03-2004, 01:18 AM
I play it just like you did. No guy with half a brain falls for the bet/call, check/raise line, especially with that ace. I play it just like you did, nice one.

ecooke
12-03-2004, 01:18 AM
Hm... Good call.
I didn't notice that the hero put in the last bet on the flop. How foolish of me.

zeitgeist
12-05-2004, 11:22 PM
Thank you all for responding - I appreciate it.

Here's how it turned out (picking up from the turn):

Turn: (11 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, SB calls, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, SB calls, UTG calls.

The call from MP1 made me feel a bit more secure about my holding. Presently the board is A/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif.

River: (23 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, SB calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 27 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 27 BB, between SB, UTG, Hero and MP1.</font> Split: Hero (13.50 BB), MP1 (13.50 BB).

SB has Jc Kc (two pair, aces and jacks).
UTG has 9c Jh (two pair, aces and jacks).
Hero has Kh As (three of a kind, aces).
MP1 has Ad Kd (three of a kind, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins 13.50 BB. MP1 wins 13.50 BB.

So even though it was a chop, it was still a 6.5 BB gain courtesy of the two players chasing second pair to the end. Paradise could have given them a "pick your own river card" option and it wouldn't have mattered. /images/graemlins/smile.gif