PDA

View Full Version : How many errors do you think you make each day? Every 100 hands?

CinnamonWind
12-02-2004, 11:01 PM
I think I probably make a tonne of errors. Probably loads I don't even know about. Everything from missed bets to bad lines. I would think I probably make about 10 errors every 100 hands at the very least. Possibly much more than this. That's about 100 errors a night!

Sigh, sometimes I wonder what my BB/100 would look like without all those.

Mr. Graff
12-02-2004, 11:10 PM
I play perfect. It is just that my opponents get lucky a lot /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Yeah, that's it!

pfkaok
12-03-2004, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would think I probably make about 10 errors every 100 hands at the very least.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were have a close to 3 BB/100 rate as you've said you had over 70k hands or whatever, then I think you're being too hard on yourself... are you considering things mistakes in retrospect, like after you see the other players hand, or actual -EV mistakes? If you are actually making that many mistakes and still making that much, then they must be very small, fraction of a bet type mistakes.

I like to think that I don't make too many huge, pot-costing mistakes, but in a 1000 hands session I know I'm making tons of little mistakes.

mmcd
12-03-2004, 12:23 AM
Less than 1.

CinnamonWind
12-03-2004, 01:53 AM
I don't think my mistakes are often pot costers, but I am sure I make many, many smaller ones like missed bets or slightly -EV plays.

Six_of_One
12-03-2004, 03:25 PM
I make mistakes all the time. Like, constantly. I mean it. I couldn't count the number of mistakes I make in a night of playing 6 tables. Although you can certainly reduce the number of mistakes you make, you will never be able to eliminate them entirely, particularly when playing at such a high speed.

You just make it up on volume. And in a way, it's kind of nice knowing you can win while still being lazy and careless, isn't it? (or maybe that's just me)

Justin A
12-03-2004, 03:50 PM
I make way too many mistakes, that's why my winrate sucks. Of course I'm new to limit and getting better. It's also disheartening to see that the rake is taking away 1.45 BB per 100 of winrate away from me. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I need to move up soon.

Justin A

Evan
12-03-2004, 04:12 PM
Probably 20-30, maybe more, its pretty impossible to quantify.

If you're only making 10 mistakes /100 hands that's pretty good I think.

meep_42
12-03-2004, 04:16 PM
Pre-flop: Probably 5 or 6 loose calls or limps when I should raise.
Post-flop: Of the, say, 30 hands / 100 that I see the flop... maybe 5-7, since folding the flop will be the most common thing, turns with draws are pretty formulaeic, and many rivers play themselves. Marginal hands aren't that common.

-d

Luv2DriveTT
12-03-2004, 08:08 PM
I was thinking about this myself recently, I guessed I am making 7 errors per table/hour online. B&M - it seems as if I make far fewer errors, not sure how many - YET.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

Senor Choppy
12-03-2004, 08:14 PM
Probably 10 per 100 hands, although they're mostly thin value bets missed or paying off single river bets in huge pots, nothing disastrous.

I think most errors of these types made by good players added together aren't nearly as bad as individual errors consistently made by bad players, (like cold-calling raises with K9s, or calling down a solid raiser on an AKx board with 66, etc.)

mmcd
12-03-2004, 08:24 PM
Do you even play 20-30 hands/100? Although I guess its possible to make a few incorrect preflop folds or misplay multiple streets.

mmcd
12-03-2004, 08:27 PM
Probably 10 per 100 hands, although they're mostly thin value bets missed or paying off single river bets in huge pots

You do realize these aren't errors unless you should have value bet or folded on the river given the information you had available to you before the showdown, right?

Senor Choppy
12-04-2004, 01:00 AM
Yep.

HesseJam
12-06-2004, 09:29 AM
Sometimes, I go through 100 hands and estimate how many "mistakes" I made. A "mistake" is defined as an action I would take differently when I am coolly analyzing my hands juxtaposed to what I actually did when I was playing them.

a) I am still a beginner, so I am not sure what the "expert" action would have been.

b) I try to estimate the expected value of the mistake in BB. This is difficult to get right.

I then calculate the difference between the outcome of the hand played and the average outcome of the hand if played correctly. The net effect frequently is positive for example i) if you called where you did not have the odds but rivered well or ii) if you missed a value bet but got rivered out badly.

Then I add up all those values and add it to my actual win rate. If I did all this correctly I could see if I ran bad or good. If you add up only the EVs of the mistakes you'll know how much your game sucks per 100 hands.

I am making 5/100 significant mistakes (-0.5 BB EV or worse) and maybe 10 minor ones. On average, I estiomate that I loose 5 BB/100 on idiot play.

BigBaitsim (milo)
12-06-2004, 10:13 AM
10 or so seems about right. Many are only mistakes in retrospect though, and most are judgment calls that could be argued either way. I always try to make one or two genuine [censored]-up level errors per 100 hands. It keeps me from believing I am a Poker God.

Bob T.
12-06-2004, 03:23 PM
I think 10/100 is about right for me also. But you get a refund on some of those errors, because your opponents start believing that you are as bad as someone who makes them all the time, so they pay you back a little bit sometimes.

I like to think I make money when my opponents play bad, because I can take advantage of their mistakes, and I make money when I play bad, because I can take advantage of their incorrect perception of my mistakes.