PDA

View Full Version : Music During Poker???

ddss6_99
12-02-2004, 10:10 PM
I read somewhere that it's not good to listen to music while playing poker (specifically online) because it takes your focus away from the game and you miss things that should be picked up on. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

BusterStacks
12-02-2004, 10:11 PM
yes. not true.

JKratzer
12-02-2004, 10:20 PM
i've become better at avoiding tilt when i play online but sometimes when i struggle, i find music can help me play well (as well as i ever play).

pfkaok
12-02-2004, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yes. not true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed... I find it keeps me from getting bored

JasonK
12-02-2004, 11:44 PM
I never play without listening to music.

Jezebel
12-02-2004, 11:57 PM
I can't play with music when playing online. It does distract me. I guess everybody is different

TimM
12-03-2004, 12:10 AM
Yes, music helps make it less of a grind. But I do hit pause at times when i am in several big hands at once requiring tough decisions. This happens maybe once or twice an hour.

I should add that I listen to softer stuff than I would while not playing.

pfkaok
12-03-2004, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But I do hit pause at times when i am in several big hands at once requiring tough decisions. This happens maybe once or twice an hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats odd, I actually think it really helps me when I'm in several hands at once. I feel like it calms me down, and I can be more "in the flow" or whatever you want to call it, so I can just make quick decisions and not doubt myself as much.

Evan
12-03-2004, 12:32 AM
I like to listen to music sometimes, especially in long sessions. Coldplay-ish music is what I find works best.

stripsqueez
12-03-2004, 12:40 AM
i have to play internet poker to afford my CD habit

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Number4
12-03-2004, 01:11 AM
I am listening to music a lot of the time - studying, chilling, playing video games. And poker. Personally, I prefer techno, but that's just me.

<font color="white">Speaking of techno, right now I am listening to Inoj, Time after time (techno remix) </font>

Chris Daddy Cool
12-03-2004, 01:14 AM
ever since i got my second monitor i've been multi-tasking even more by watching movies while playing and chatting and internet sufring. my head would explode if i thought too hard.

fearme
12-03-2004, 01:27 AM
have music when i play online, i think it can pacify tilt, but also it can be bad if ur singing or rapping along

emonrad87
12-03-2004, 02:09 AM
I listen to music 24/7. Literally. At least, i will once i get my iPod! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

phixxx
12-03-2004, 02:16 AM
I mostly listen to rock, but it only distracts me during poker...live trance sets and rap are the best when playing poker IMO.

Oh, and I just cashed out and bought myself an ipod, great for when you're playing live /images/graemlins/smile.gif

mikeyKay
12-03-2004, 03:21 AM
ive heard of studies where listening to classic music makes the brain work better, and plants and stuff grow faster if music is playing...but who knows. its all personal preference, i like to have music on just about all the time.

-mike

CinnamonWind
12-03-2004, 04:18 AM
Sometimes poker can totally ruin a song for me, and sometimes it can really make a song for me. For example, I simply cannot listen to "Panama" by Van Halen without bitterly reliving two enormous suckouts that I experienced while it was playing. Might have ruined the song for me for good.

And yet I now find that I enjoy "The One I Love" by REM 1000% more than I ever did before because it was playing during a stretch of 3 hands where I got AA, KK, and AA, with none of them cracked and 4-5 to the flop each time. Ahh good times, good times.

Wait, I have one more! When I got my first Royal Flush, "One Night in Bangkok" by Murrayhead was on. And when I got my second, it was "Tokyo Rose" by Men Without Hats.

Oh I love those songs now!

Predator314
12-03-2004, 10:42 AM
I always listen to music while playing poker, both online and live. I have an iPod with some nice Sennheiser headphones for live games. If I'm playing a friendly game live game, I obviously don't listen. However, I play some live tournaments and the local clubs and most of these guys talk a bunch of bullpoop that I don't want to hear, so I use music to drown them out.

Online, I have iTunes with around 1000 CDs ripped into my library. I also have a subscription to Real Rhapsody.

My favorite poker listening:

Alman Brothers
Zakk Wylde/Black Label Society
Shinedown
Alice in Chains
Godsmack