PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper Alternative to Dell LCD for 8-tabling?

TheMetetron
12-02-2004, 09:44 PM
So I want to start 8-tabling, and could probably afford the Dell LCD monitor that everyone advocates but I am curious if there are any other reasonably good(perhaps CRT?) for a cheaper price.

Also, I will currently be attaching it to my laptop, but in the future (say a year or so) will be buying a new desktop computer and obviously another new monitor (probably the Dell). Should I just get one of the Dells now since I may end up tossing the CRT in a year anyways?

Confused...

_And1_
12-02-2004, 09:50 PM
dont buy the crt if you are supposedly buying an tft in a year anyway...

TheMetetron
12-02-2004, 09:52 PM
Yeah I am looking at CRTs right now and they are running like half of what the Dells are? Is the Dell a good investment and something that will last a long time without getting outdated? What are the latest deals on the Dell (I had heard they were around $550, is that still going on?).

WSOPWinner2005
12-02-2004, 09:52 PM
CRT's are so cheap nowadays - why not ?

Cubswin
12-02-2004, 09:56 PM
If your laptop doesnt support 1600x1200 the add-on monitor wont give you the desktop space for 8 tables.

If you want a cheap CRT go to a local used computer store. The one nearest me has a bunch of decent used 19 inchers in the $50 range. And some usable 21 inchers in the $100+ range.

cubs

TheMetetron
12-02-2004, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

CRT's are so cheap nowadays - why not ?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I could find a sub-$200 CRT with 1600x1200 resolution I'd buy that and just use that until I get my new computer in a year. Wouldn't bug me and I'm sure someone in my family would use it when I get new comp/monitors.

So the question is basically, is there a sub-$200 CRT with 1600x1200 that isn't otherwise a piece of crap. If not, is the Dell the best option?

Looking at monitorsdirect right now but the stupid site doesn't let you filter by resolution.

BusterStacks
12-02-2004, 09:58 PM
Bang for the buck, the Dell is a rediculously good deal. Just take a look at the Samsung 213T if you don't believe me. Essentially the dell is easily a 1100$ monitor, probably significantly more, for an amazing price. There's no downside to the monitor, and I firmly believe that it will outlast any other technologically sensitive piece of hardware in your computer setup.

Cubswin
12-02-2004, 10:01 PM
I posted a link for a new 1600x1200, 75 MHz refresh, 19 inch CRT that had all sorts of rebates awhile back that ended costing under $80. The games will be smaller then what you are used to but im sure you can get by with it. I think this offer was at office depot... but any given sunday a deal might pop up in the sunday paper.

cubs

TheMetetron
12-02-2004, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If your laptop doesnt support 1600x1200 the add-on monitor wont give you the desktop space for 8 tables.

If you want a cheap CRT go to a local used computer store. The one nearest me has a bunch of decent used 19 inchers in the $50 range. And some usable 21 inchers in the $100+ range.

cubs

[/ QUOTE ]

Now here's my question. My laptop screen goes to 1400x1050, but it has the ability to add a second monitor. As I understand it the monitor wouldn't be limited to the capability of the laptop monitor but to the capability of the graphics card. In this case this graphics card is some Raedon something or other made 2 years ago. At any rate, I'm pretty sure it supports 1600x1200. Is there a way to know for certain?

TheMetetron
12-02-2004, 10:16 PM
Holy crap I just realized the Dells are 20"... damn that's big. Any good deals on these right now?

BusterStacks
12-02-2004, 10:18 PM
not only that, but on an LCD, the measure in VIEWABLE, where as on a CRT they measure dimensions. So, the 20" dell really equates to like a 22" CRT. I had a 21" sony before my Dells, and the Dell is bigger.

MicroBob
12-02-2004, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As I understand it the monitor wouldn't be limited to the capability of the laptop monitor but to the capability of the graphics card. In this case this graphics card is some Raedon something or other made 2 years ago. At any rate, I'm pretty sure it supports 1600x1200.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also curious if anyone knows of a way to increase the capabilities of one's graphics-card (or input a new one) on a laptop?

I bought a CRT for $270 (plus $40 or so for shipping) from Viewsonic that goes up to 2050x1530.
But my laptop only supports 1600x1200 on it's 2nd monitor.

When I get a desk-top I'll be able to go up to 2050x1530 on this thing and it will be pretty good I think.
Right now I'm stuck at 1600x1200 (which is better than my old 2nd monitor which was only 1200x800).

I'm relatively happy with my purchase.
The LCD montiors are supposed to be pretty nice...but this CRT isn't that bad....and eventually I hope to have 2000x1500 res on it.

TheMetetron
12-02-2004, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
not only that, but on an LCD, the measure in VIEWABLE, where as on a CRT they measure dimensions. So, the 20" dell really equates to like a 22" CRT. I had a 21" sony before my Dells, and the Dell is bigger.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, damn poker for giving me the money to spend on this fine piece of computer machinery... I think I may just have to buy this.

So before I do, will my graphics card support it (how do I find out)?? And what are the deals going on for this right now, if any?

Freakin
12-02-2004, 10:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I posted a link for a new 1600x1200, 75 MHz refresh, 19 inch CRT that had all sorts of rebates awhile back that ended costing under $80. The games will be smaller then what you are used to but im sure you can get by with it. I think this offer was at office depot... but any given sunday a deal might pop up in the sunday paper.

cubs

[/ QUOTE ]

Cubs,

I bought that monitor. I have had no luck getting the refresh up to 75Hz even with proper drivers. The refresh rate is definitely supported by my video card. 60Hz sucks. And now, a brief haiku about my pokering experiences.

An Ode to 2001FP
Oh to have a Dell
This CRT can't compare
My eyes are bleeding

Seriously... i have major headaches after extended use... the advice in the Zoo FAQ has helped though. Increase level of ambient light, have brighter lights behind to the side of the screen, and take breaks of focusing on distant objects. But god how I want a dell. My fiance wants $500 shoes for xmas, but she cant even buy me a 20" LCD.

Freakin

balkii
12-02-2004, 10:48 PM
dude, lemme put it this way. I am a mere 4-tabler. I have had 2 montiros (CRTS) for a while. I bought 2001 FP. I have no need for another 1600x 1200 screen. yet I purchased a second one about 2 weeks after setting up my first because I COULDNT STAND TO LOOK AT MY CRT on the other side.

the eyes, the bleeding, oh god

Dude, you're getting a Dell.

TheMetetron
12-02-2004, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

So before I do, will my graphics card support it (how do I find out)?? And what are the deals going on for this right now, if any?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone have answers?

mosta
12-02-2004, 11:42 PM
I can't answer the question about resolution on the video card, but one thing that might be useful: my research when I bought a laptop (w/ uxga) recently indicated that Win 2K does not support extended desktop, where the laptop screen and external monitor form one continuous space that you can move across. You need Win XP to do this (or maybe older Windows). Just something to keep in mind.

I also thought about getting a CRT to be cheap. Two downsides: first it's going to weight about 150 lbs and be the size of a dishwasher; second when I set a friends's CRT to 1600X1200 to play on, it couldn't produce legible text at the font size I normally use on my laptop.

TheMetetron
12-03-2004, 01:57 AM
Literally a 150lb dishwasher sized monitor? Wow? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have Windows XP so no problem there.

usmfan
12-03-2004, 04:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Literally a 150lb dishwasher sized monitor? Wow? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a really small but heavy dishwasher. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

climber
12-04-2004, 03:15 AM
I'm on a budget and was tired of overlapping screens so hres what I did.

Step 1--replace my old 32MB graphics card with something that will run two monitors. MadDog Multimedia FX 5200 Plus--regular $100--$29 after rebates at CompUSA day after Thanksgving.

Step 2--Acquire a 1600x1200 monitor. Used 17" Sony CPD-E210. $35 off of Craigslist.

Total cost: $65 and I've now got 2 montiors up and running side by side. 4 tables on the Sony to the right and email/2+2/surfing on the left.

I want a pair of 2001FPs as much as the next guy but I think I've gotta wait for a big tourney cash or something. It'd be way too big a percentage of my BR right now.

However if you want ot squint a little less i have seen several new 19"crts for the $120-$129 range.

TheMetetron
12-04-2004, 03:37 AM
I've decided say screw this and at the limits I'm playing (5/10, some 15/30), it won't take me more than ten hours max (if all of the sudden 8-tabling kills my bb/100) of 8-tabling to make the money back for the Dell LCD. That and I installed an old ass monitor I had laying around just to test some stuff out and was amazed at out fricking big these things are (doesn't even fit on my desk).

Dell deals anyone?

college_boy
12-04-2004, 08:03 AM
Forgive my ignorance here.... The laptop provided to me by school only supports 1024-768 resolution(I can't get two tables up without overlap), at least it seems that way under pref-settings. If that is the case I would think buying a Dell with a 19in CRT would be the best option. Is a new desktop the best option, and if so would the dell be the best computer as opposed to another brand? I've looked for info and haven't really found it so any help would be nice. Thanks

AncientPC
12-04-2004, 02:32 PM
If you can only have that resolution you might want to try playing on sites that allow mini-views like UltimateBet or The Gaming Club Poker.

If you have at least ~$500 to spare you can just buy the parts and put together a decent computer that's a helluva lot better than a laptop. If you can't put a computer together, invite a geek friend over and give him a 6 pack (or World of Warcraft / Half-Life 2 /images/graemlins/grin.gif ).