PDA

View Full Version : What is the first book I should read?

weekapaugz
12-02-2004, 09:24 PM
If I want to, um, "kill" some of the low limits, but i'm familiar with basic poker concepts, where do i start? what's the difference between SSH and WLLH? aye!

derick
12-02-2004, 11:13 PM
Read WLLH to avoid losing too much.
After that read ITH to prep you for SSH
Then read SSH to crush the low limit games.
Then read MLH to get the hand questions.
Then read TOP so you can understand HEPFAP more easily.
Then read HEPFAP ... slowly.
Then read SSH 5 more times.

Post followup to this on the Books & Software forum.

KenProspero
12-02-2004, 11:20 PM
Read either WLLH or ITH several times (till you really understand everything there). Then, either read the other (several times) or go straight to SSH.

However, the biggest mistake you can make IMO, is to try to apply too much too fast. Work your changes in slowly and make sure you understand why you're doing something, before you add it to your repetoire.

Chris Daddy Cool
12-03-2004, 07:33 AM
if you've played from time to time and arent' too sure about basic concepts (i.e. starting hand requirements, pot odds, basic game theory) then start with WLLHE and skim through it, then you'll want to jump into the main course:

Small Stakes Hold'em: Winning Big With Expert Play by Ed Miller.

aron
12-04-2004, 08:50 AM
What kind of book is MLH?
Is it good?

-aron

derick
12-04-2004, 09:01 AM
MLH is Middle Limit Holdem by Bob Ciffone and Jim Brier. It has some good concepts in it and about 400 hand questions with answers. It has been accused of being weak tight but is still worth reading after you've read SSH.

weekapaugz
12-04-2004, 06:48 PM
which is ICH?

Megenoita
12-05-2004, 05:00 AM
I had the same question as you about a month ago, and so I wanted to advise you based on my experience.

One of the top, if not THE top Limit Hold Em players on this forum advised me that books are not really a panacea for poker pro wannabes like you and me. They supplement experience and off-table study, and they certainly help guide and teach.

What is absolutely necessary to crush low limit games? In my experience, 2 books (TOP and SSHE), a lot of reading the forum here, and a lot of playing. It could probably be argued that only SSHE is needed to crush games, but I really thought that TOP gives you a foundational understanding of the underlying concepts behind SSHE (and behind every other poker book you'll ever read).

Are other books good to read? Of course, and I plan on reading much more...but what is necessary to crush low limit games is in SSHE, TOP, this forum, and lots of play.

M

MarkL444
12-05-2004, 08:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
which is ICH?

[/ QUOTE ]

ITH is internet texas holdem (hilger)

ctv1116
12-05-2004, 11:10 AM
WLLH, then SSH.

BSXX
12-06-2004, 02:05 AM
I agree with ctv1116. WLLHE gets some grief on these forums but it is still a very good book. It is not as advanced and targeted as SSHE, but it is the best book to start with, even if you already know all the basic holdem concepts. SSHE is a definite read to say the least, but since it was written for a specific type of game, i.e. loose, it could get you into trouble in a tighter low limit games. Reading both, with WLLHE first, is the best approach. Read them both at least twice as soon as you get them.

P.S. - Don't make the mistake of assuming all low-limit games are loose and filled with idiots. Remember, many of them have read both the books we are talking about.

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2004, 05:50 PM
read Texas Hold Em by DS
Then Read SSHE by EM, DS, and MM.