PDA

View Full Version : Should i cap the turn?

Starzinger
12-02-2004, 09:13 PM
Havn't got a read on this guy, havn't really noticed him in any way.
So, should i cap it, or should i start to worry about not being cool anymore?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5h, 5s.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Hero calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) Jh, Tc, 5c (5 players)
BB bets, UTG folds, MP1 calls, MP3 folds, Hero raises, BB 3-bets, MP1 calls, Hero caps, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB) 4d (3 players)
BB bets, MP1 folds, Hero raises, BB 3-bets, Hero calls.

bisonbison
12-02-2004, 09:17 PM
you are either way ahead or way behind. You've got one out or he's got 4. I would cap and if he bets into you on the river I would call without quads.

NYCBIZ
12-02-2004, 09:25 PM
My guess is he flopped a higher set, judging from his reraise before the flop, and then his reraise on the turn. Had he not reraised prior to the flop, and then reraised on the flop, then I might put him on two pair (JT most likely). His definitive betting before the flop to me signals pocket pair.

brassnuts
12-02-2004, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My guess is he flopped a higher set, judging from his reraise before the flop, and then his reraise on the turn. Had he not reraised prior to the flop, and then reraised on the flop, then I might put him on two pair (JT most likely). His definitive betting before the flop to me signals pocket pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you seeing all of this preflop action?

To answer the original poster, without a read, I probably would go ahead and cap the turn and just call if bet into on the river. Depends on my mood. Also, it depends how long you've been playing with villain. If you've been playing with him for 2 hours, and haven't noticed him, I give him a little more credit for the higher set.

Starzinger
12-02-2004, 09:34 PM
He didn't raise before the flop? That's probably why JJ or TT isn't very likely.
But are everyone this aggressive with two pairs? What would you bet like this with?

Klepton
12-02-2004, 09:35 PM
it's JT, J5, or J4, and he's not thinking. Cap it, but only call if a J or T hits the river. If a 4 hits i wouldn't stop raising.

Harv72b
12-02-2004, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, it depends how long you've been playing with villain. If you've been playing with him for 2 hours, and haven't noticed him, I give him a little more credit for the higher set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd second this, except that the only way that Hero is behind here is if BB checked through preflop on TT or JJ...that seems unlikely to me, although it is possible...goodness knows I've seen enough people limp with AA before.

I'd find it much easier to believe that BB flopped 2 pair and just hasn't gotten it through his head yet that Hero has a set. But it does come back to the same recommendation...cap the turn, call if bet into on the river (bet/call if check/raised on the river).

Starzinger
12-02-2004, 09:42 PM
Alright. Actually, the rest of the hand is a little interesting too, but not really that difficult to choose what to do...

River: (14.75 BB) 5d (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets, BB raises, Hero 3-bets, BB caps, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 22.75 BB

Results below:
BB has Js Ac (two pair, jacks and fives).
Hero has 5h 5s (four of a kind, fives).
Outcome: Hero wins 22.75 BB.

Would anyone play AJ like this? Maybe i'd done something bad earlier so he didn't think i had anything. =)

bisonbison
12-02-2004, 09:54 PM
after you capped the flop I would call down with AJ.

Harv72b
12-02-2004, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would anyone play AJ like this? Maybe i'd done something bad earlier so he didn't think i had anything. =)

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost said that he might have AJ, too, but I decided to give the guy a little more credit than that. lol

Even if I'm up against the most maniacal player in my PT files, I wouldn't play AJ like that. TPTK is worth a raise on the flop, but that's it if you keep getting raised...then again, I've had enough people call me down (repeatedly) with middle pair or even lower. I just silently thank them for the donation & move on to the next hand. /images/graemlins/smile.gif