PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas for office Christmas party games

JustSomeJackass
12-02-2004, 08:52 PM
Our office Christmas party is a few Friday nights away and I am the MC, the one in charge of all the entertainment (our entertainment budget is near ZERO, but I have a lot of basics (soundsystem, microphones, light-show, computer and projector, etc.) I do stand-up comedy on the side and thus am automatically called upon to be Mr. Entertainment at all of our social functions...most of the attendees have already seen me perform many times and I am not looking to dominate the evening and make it all about me (besides my best stuff is no longer viable with this audience). I would like to get as many people involved as possible (about 100 expected), and the crowd is a mix of young and old, military members (Air Force) and civilians (I work in a finance office for the Air Force). Most are shy when it comes to public speaking but are willing to participate when given enough encouragement from the crowd.

The few years I have arranged games, they have gone over OK, but I am looking for fresh ideas. I always like to push the limits of what can be considered acceptable, and don't mind crossing the line a few times if the timing feels right (last year the door prizes were a "Let's Make a Deal" set-up where when your name was called you had choose Box 1 or Box 2...one box had a "real" prize, the other was a gag or a "ZONK" to use the proper lingo. Well, along with the harmless things like a can of Spam, a half eaten candy bar (basically a Twix bar with the chocolate and caramel chewed off, I had a Richard Gere entertainment pack which consisted of a gerbil (found a nice stuffed animal at PetsMart, a paper towel roll, and some Vaseline) and pulled it off without any threats of Article 15 action, plus I think the 50 year old lady that won it was ready to use it on her husband, she was so drunk.

My thoughts for this year was to have a game show or reality show theme, but wanted some good ideas for things to make people do in competition that everyone else would get a good laugh out of.

I'm prepared for my fair share of "Why don't you play 'Bang the hot chick' where you get some young female airmen to bend over the DJ table and service the whole crowd", type of funny but not usable game ideas, but I figured someone out there either has played a good game at a party in the past, or is creative enough to come up with an idea that will ensure everyone enjoys the evening.

ClosingTime
12-02-2004, 09:11 PM
Last year, they played "Name That Tune" with TV theme songs and everyone enjoyed that, and also they had a "Sing the next line of the song" game where there was two teams, one made up of all of the younger people and one team of old-timers. The young people were given hit songs from the 50's, 60's, and 70's, and the older team was given current top 40 and some rap songs. The older people got great laughs that the young people could miss such "easy" songs, and the young people thought watching the older people trying to figure out what the hell Jay-Z was saying was hilarious.

Cubswin
12-02-2004, 09:43 PM
I assume that there will be a bar at this event? If so, give the bartender several decks of cards and ask him to pass out one card with each drink. Sometime later in the night, once everyone has had a chance to collect 10 or so cards /images/graemlins/wink.gif, have everyone form their best poker hand. This way you make drinking +EV in more ways then one.

cubs

Rick Diesel
12-02-2004, 11:12 PM
You could do a Family Feud style game show. Ask everyone in the office some funny questions, such as "Who in the office is most likely to enter a mud wrestling contest?". Then list the top three answers, and divide teams or individuals however you'd like. I'm sure you can figure out the rest.

Rick Diesel

Redmen62
12-03-2004, 12:07 AM
There's a forum devoted to Holiday/Christmas events and some games and activities for them at Djchat.com. I used to frequent there in my DJ days, probably best for you to check them out on your own since you know your audience.

Edit: Looks like you have to register to see that forum, but it's certainly worth the 2 minutes if you do this fairly often.

cnfuzzd
12-03-2004, 01:23 AM
"hide the sausage"

"Pin the condom in the secretary."

My favorites.

peace

john nickle