PDA

View Full Version : reraise AKs from middle position

beachbum
12-02-2004, 07:25 PM
I tend toward smooth calling AKs from early to middle position to a preflop raiser. Here's an example:

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, UTG calls.

River: (11.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds, SB folds.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

Should I reraise this preflop, or reraise AKs preflop in general?

bisonbison
12-02-2004, 07:26 PM
3-bet preflop. bet the flop.

MHarris
12-02-2004, 07:29 PM
I'd 3-bet here 100% of the time.
You have a mandatory flop bet also.

beachbum
12-02-2004, 07:32 PM
Yeah would've definitely bet the flop had I raised preflop.

I checked this flop since anyone who had a big /images/graemlins/diamond.gif wasn't going anywhere and might correctly CR me. A made flush would also CR me. I figure if no /images/graemlins/diamond.gif comes on the turn, I bet/raise the turn to cut down on their flush draw odds.

MoreWineII
12-02-2004, 07:34 PM
What's your reasoning behind not 3-betting preflop?

beachbum
12-02-2004, 07:56 PM
Well in HEFAP, they say to raise about 2/3 of the time from EP with AKs, AQs, AJs, KQs. By sc'ing I'm hoping to create a large multiway pot (5 players or more for 2 or more bets preflop). AKs plays well in this pot. That's my reasoning, not to say it's right.

Actually in further review of hand playback and more thinking, it seems I am sacrificing my chance to win the pot far more often by letting someone in behind me for 2 instead of 3 bets, or the blinds too. The times when I do make the nut flush/straight doesn't seem will make up for it.

pfkaok
12-02-2004, 10:13 PM
If this is a typical party 2/4 game, then you should be reraising AKs more like 100% of the time. IF other players have decent hands then they'll come along for 3 bets PF, and you almost certainly have a Huge equity edge, might as well push it.