PDA

View Full Version : Playing KK when you are VERY certain he has AA

lehighguy
12-02-2004, 06:26 PM
Let's say you have KK in 2/4 or 3/6. You raise, get reraised, there are another caller or two, and then you get reraised. The guy who caps keeps raising on the flop and bet bet bet.

The board is uncoordinated, low/mid cards, no ace. DO you fold on the flop to the raise if you are certain he has AA. After so many zillions of hands im always right about AA when i call down to the river screaming no. How do you determine when to fold.

MoreWineII
12-02-2004, 06:30 PM
If you can read minds and know he has AA, wouldn't it be pretty obvious you should fold KK?

shummie
12-02-2004, 06:33 PM
What's the chance he plays the same way with QQ on a board of unders?

- Jason

zram21
12-02-2004, 06:34 PM
This is pretty player dependent. I would say in general unless the player is super tight preflop I am seeing the showdown almost all the time on an uncoordinated low card board with KK. If you are really starting to fear AA you can just call down, but if you starting seeing AA everytime you run into resistance with Ks you are going to miss out on some bets.

lehighguy
12-02-2004, 07:01 PM
I know I know. Its just that I call down everytime and everytime its AA. I say this cause its only in pots where they raise into your preflop 3-bet despite a bunch of people being in the flop. Its hard to desribe but whenever I have a strong strong feelings its aces it always is.

bisonbison
12-02-2004, 07:11 PM
Post such a hand.

lehighguy
12-02-2004, 07:35 PM
I can't think of the exact hand so I will make one up. It was very similair.

Hero is in early posistion and raises. MP1 cold calls, MP2 cold call, MP3 Triple bets, Hero caps, everyone calls.

Flop is rainbowed rags. Hero bets, MP1 calls, MP2 raises, MP3 reraises.

Hero:???

If I fold now I can save myself the inevitable minimum of 3 BB to call to the river. With possible aces comming on turn and river anyway, and my conviction that MP3 has aces, should i fold.

MoreWineII
12-02-2004, 07:43 PM
...caps. Or calls and raises a safe turn card.

God, if only *everyone* would fold KK when I have QQ or JJ on a raggedy board!

A question for you: how would MP3 play KK, QQ, or JJ in this same situation?

lehighguy
12-02-2004, 07:51 PM
I now i know. I tell myself that and everytime I call down to the river. But at the same time there is a way he did it. really made me think aces. You'll all think I'm crazy but sometimes the time it take to bet, the speed with which he hits the button. I dont know how to say it other then its a tell. And I just know its aces in that situation.

You have to remember its 2/4 or 3/6. At those levels you don't find players that aggressive. THey would just call the reraise not trip bet the flop. yes yes they do random things but I dunno, maybe I'm just pissed and rambling cause I'm on a losing string since the first time I started playing.

Hermlord
12-02-2004, 08:31 PM
I just ran into this last night. I absolutely knew he had AA to my KK, but I just couldn't fold. A few hands later (on another table) I had AA to his KK and a king came on the flop. Again, I just could not fold (I posted about this hand this morning).

There's two kinds of voices I get. One says "man, I've been running bad, I just know I'm beat, PP is rigged!" This voice sucks and should be ignored at all costs. The other says "this is not a guess, I KNOW I'm beat--lay down the hand." That voice is always right and should always be listened to. Unfortunately, I almost never do and pay for it. I bet Danny Negreanu hears this voice every other hand, and listens. So did what's-his-name in the WSOP this year, when he layed down K-high flush to the full house.

If you hear that voice, not the first one but the second, listen to it. Lay it down.

pudley4
12-02-2004, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I now i know. I tell myself that and everytime I call down to the river. But at the same time there is a way he did it. really made me think aces. You'll all think I'm crazy but sometimes the time it take to bet, the speed with which he hits the button. I dont know how to say it other then its a tell. And I just know its aces in that situation.

You have to remember its 2/4 or 3/6. At those levels you don't find players that aggressive. THey would just call the reraise not trip bet the flop. yes yes they do random things but I dunno, maybe I'm just pissed and rambling cause I'm on a losing string since the first time I started playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you have a hundred more important leaks to worry about than whether you should call down or fold here. This comes up so infrequently that I can't believe it costs you more than a few BB over the course of a year.

How about you just play it like this - if you have KK, never fold if there is no A on the board and you only have to call a single bet.

lehighguy
12-03-2004, 01:06 AM
If it was one bet on the river I wouldnt mind. THe thing is I smelled this on the flop and I could have saved several bets.

My KK has gone up against AA 3 times in the last week (thats just 7 days, i don't know the odds on that). Each time I know he had AA since I paid to the river and saw. Maybe I'm just having horrible luck. 3/6 has been a cash machine for the first 15,000 hands (like almost 5BB/HR 4 tabling), but the last 5,000 have been dismal. I've lost $600-700 and I've played alot the last ten days (not full time but alot). I don't play that differently, if anything I've been reading books and the forums and trying to improve my play. I even picked up pots I wasn't winning before. Is this just a bad spell or am I totally getting destroyed by luck here. Did my game just go bad all of a sudden? Is that a statistically significant number of hands to say I'm screwing up or just getting bad luck.

joker122
12-03-2004, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Its hard to desribe but whenever I have a strong strong feelings its aces it always is.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, it's easy to describe. it's call selective memory.

ecooke
12-03-2004, 01:34 AM
I haven't read the post but the title has never happened to me and it feels like you are about to suggest releasing to the preposition that he has Aces. Please say it isn't so...

edge
12-03-2004, 02:45 AM
I have had AA before, and I was certain my opponent had KK because of the action. A King fell on the river, and I decided to pay him off, only to see his AA. Split pot. Isn't it possible that your opponent is also holding KK? I think folding KK overpair just because you think your opponent might be holding Aces is a bit weak. Depends on the board and the player (as always).