PDA

View Full Version : Daugherty/McEvoy's "New Player" NL TX Holdem book

Izaak_Walton
12-02-2004, 05:47 PM
Ordered it through Empire VIP because it's the only NL book they had. It just arrived, and I'm settling down to read it.

Is there any advice in this book that you think is bogus?? I'd like to avoid trying new things that you guys have found don't work too well! Thank you. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

npc
12-02-2004, 11:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Is there any advice in this book that you think is bogus??

[/ QUOTE ]

There's little in this book that's truly egregious, but there are some places where I think the advice isn't so hot. Also, know that the book is *strongly* geared toward tournament play.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to avoid trying new things that you guys have found don't work too well! Thank you. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

On p. 35, paragraph 2, they say, "One of the worst plays that we see novice players make in no-limit tournaments is smaking a small raise,... ." I don't think this is a horrible statement, but I know Chris Ferguson disagrees with this, and he has good reasons for doing so. A *lot* could be said about establishing a "standard raise" in NL, but this book's treatment of the topic is pretty shallow.

On p. 96 they suggest, "In the early stages of a tournament when the blinds are low, limp with A-Q when you are in early position." I disagree. Except in rare circumstances, if you're the first one to enter the pot with this hand I think it's a clear raise-or-fold. On p. 99 they also suggest limping in with A-J in early to middle position. I think this is an atrocious play. Generally, I recommend folding it in early position and raising with it when entering the pot first in middle position.

Generally, they provide reasonable information, although they don't go very deep. Further, they provide very little guidance on post-flop play. You could do worse.

Izaak_Walton
12-02-2004, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the great response!!

Book is a disappointment--as you say, all about tournaments, which I have no interest in. Interestingly, the word "tournament" does not appear on the cover or in the description.

Oh well, at least it was "free"--Thanks again!!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

irisheyes
12-07-2004, 06:27 PM
As a new player, I have up built a substantial library of books (spending >$300 in the process). I am a limit player who was looking for good advice on NL play for home games and for the occassional online tourney. This book fell far short of the mark for me, and is one of the two books in my library (along with Ken Warren Teaches Texas Hold 'em) I regret purchasing.

T.J. includes some cool poker tales from the old days, but if you seek the kind of substance present in the 2+2 books -- this book will be a substantial disappointment.

edit: I just noticed you're talking about No-Limit Texas Hold'em : The New Player's Guide to Winning Poker's Biggest Game (The New Players Series) and my gripe is with Championship No Limit & Pot Limit Hold 'Em (Championship Series). I can't imagine that the new book is so vastly superior to the former book to make it worthwhile, but I wanted to make I wasn't misleading anyone with a review of the "New Player" book.

1p0kerb0y
12-07-2004, 11:43 PM
The Cloutier/McEvoy book is garbage.

The McEvoy/Daugherty book is surprisingly good, although it is beginner oriented.

amulet
12-07-2004, 11:49 PM
there are a lot of better books, it is not very good.

Al Mirpuri
12-08-2004, 05:31 AM
In TJ's book the advice is good but the editing is very bad.

betgo
12-08-2004, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Cloutier/McEvoy book is garbage.

The McEvoy/Daugherty book is surprisingly good, although it is beginner oriented.

[/ QUOTE ]

I basically agree. I like the McEvoy/Daugherty book. The McEvoy/Cloutier books aren't total garbage. However, they are very weak/tight. There is a lot more room for playing speculative hands and bluffing/semibluffing than they imply.

jakethebake
12-08-2004, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
On p. 35, paragraph 2, they say, "One of the worst plays that we see novice players make in no-limit tournaments is smaking a small raise,... ." I don't think this is a horrible statement, but I know Chris Ferguson disagrees with this, and he has good reasons for doing so. A *lot* could be said about establishing a "standard raise" in NL, but this book's treatment of the topic is pretty shallow.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe true, but this book is written for someone brand new to NLHE, not Jesus.

[ QUOTE ]
On p. 96 they suggest, "In the early stages of a tournament when the blinds are low, limp with A-Q when you are in early position." I disagree. Except in rare circumstances, if you're the first one to enter the pot with this hand I think it's a clear raise-or-fold. On p. 99 they also suggest limping in with A-J in early to middle position. I think this is an atrocious play. Generally, I recommend folding it in early position and raising with it when entering the pot first in middle position.

[/ QUOTE ]
I play this both ways, depending on the table or just to mix it up. But these are just different approaches, not really bad advice.

Just keep in mind this book is written for the brand new NL player. It's not deep. It's basically just a "get started" guide.

SharkBait
12-08-2004, 12:22 PM
I read the McEvoy/Daugherty book right after I started playing NL tournaments and found it to be extremely helpful. I agree it is more geared toward the beginner but I read it at the right time. If you are relatively new to no-limit I recommend it. I found McEvoy/Cloutier to be too weak tight for my style but it was worth reading.