PDA

View Full Version : Why do bookstores carry so many Cardoza books?

King Yao
12-02-2004, 05:35 PM
I go to a Barnes & Noble or Borders bookstores often, and have gone to about 10 different stores in the last few months (I'm addicted to coffee). Usually while sipping my latte, I'll browse the gambling/poker sections. I am always surprised by the numerous Cardoza titles that these stores carry. Even though the quality of the books do not compare to the quality of 2+2 books, there are usually many more Cardoza books than 2+2 books. Why is this? Is this because the bookstores sell as many of the Cardoza books as 2+2 books? If so, that would be very sad, as the book buyers are not getting their money's worth. Or is this because of some deal that Cardoza publishing may have with the giant book chains?

Precision1C
12-02-2004, 05:59 PM
Bookstores are in the business of selling a lot of books not judging the quality of the information them. Cardoza's line of poker books are slewed toward beginning players, not advanced players, and since beginners are the biggest demographic in poker the large bookstores keep many of their titles on the shelf.

OrangeBaller
12-02-2004, 06:10 PM
Probably because everyone's buying all the 2+2 books!

BradleyT
12-02-2004, 06:24 PM
As a player I wouldn't necessarily be complaining about that fact.

King Yao
12-02-2004, 07:09 PM
are you saying that Cardoza books outsell 2+2 books? by looking at the ranks on Amazon, I would doubt this is the case. a bookstore of course is in the business of selling books, but I'm willing to bet that these bookstores, like Amazon, sell more 2+2 books than Cardoza books - which gets me back to the original question - why do they stock so many?

eh923
12-02-2004, 07:22 PM
Bingo. I went to B&N over the weekend, and I almost posted how happy I was to see such a plethora of books that were probably far below 2+2 standards.

MHarris
12-02-2004, 07:32 PM
1) There are many more Cardoza books than 2+2 books.
2) They are cheaper and thus more appealing to the average customer.

King Yao
12-02-2004, 08:13 PM
1. that may be the case, maybe I am getting confused by all the titles they have.
2. but I don't think price is the issue. even with the higher prices, Amazon ranks of 2+2 books are much better than Cardoza books

deacsoft
12-02-2004, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bookstores are in the business of selling a lot of books not judging the quality of the information them.

[/ QUOTE ]

and BINGO was his name oh.

morgan180
12-02-2004, 09:38 PM
Good NLHE & PLHE book??? On the topic of Cardoza books - I can't even get through 10 pages of Cloutier & McEvoy - anyone got another resource? I've read Super System. Anything else?

Just to clarify - I'm speaking specifically NLHE & PLHE

I've read:
SSHE
HEFAP
TPFAP

Thanks for the help!

Mason Malmuth
12-02-2004, 09:43 PM
Hi King:

Every week we get a bunch of orders from Barnes & Noble and as the weeks go by, the orders are not only getting bigger but they are now quite substantial. Yet when I stop by our local B&N, like you I see lots of Cardoza Books and not many of ours. My conclusion is that at the end of the year, Cardoza will get lots of returns and we won't.

Best wishes,
Mason

King Yao
12-02-2004, 10:02 PM
fantastic!